Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

House Prices Keep Tumbling in Aus

House Prices Keep Tumbling in Aus

Old May 18th 2009, 5:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House Prices Keep Tumbling in Aus

Originally Posted by northernlights
Yeah, 2:1 AUS/GBP. I could buy a nice semi detached Edwardian/Victorian house in the outskirts of London (£300K), or a 'Perceptions/In Vogue' $600K prefab in Perth, in a non descript suburb. What a joke.

Perth has the one of the most expensive real estate on the planet, re: income/price. Mining is the major boom industry in Perth and that's on it's last legs. The world's banking system is on it's knees.

I wonder how many people on this site who would move back to UK if the exchange rate got to 1:1 ?
I for one are so very tempted....and to think never thought it would be remotly possible to buy something outside of a shoe box with in Londons Circle Line.
And i really do wonder about Perth where is the value on what is on offer?
Who is going to want to come here with prices the way they are?Then how do they keep the people they have from leaving?
Old May 18th 2009, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I for one are so very tempted....and to think never thought it would be remotly possible to buy something outside of a shoe box with in Londons Circle Line.
And i really do wonder about Perth where is the value on what is on offer?
Who is going to want to come here with prices the way they are?Then how do they keep the people they have from leaving?
Here you go 4 bedrooms no less, Forest Hill / Sydenham Border... 20 mins by train to London Bridge. Very close to 600,000 Aud.

Bonus you get Palace as your local team Oh and I do believe Rolf Harris lives in Sydenham... or he used to..

http://www.kfh.co.uk/residential/sal...e/se26/2040564

Edit I've just had a good look at real estate in the area where I grew up, around the house above. I reckon it's now on a price parity with what I've got here in Coburg/Brunswick... It used to be at least 33 to 40 pct dearer. Catford is really cheap !!

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 18th 2009 at 7:42 am.
Old May 18th 2009, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Here you go 4 bedrooms no less, Forest Hill / Sydenham Border... 20 mins by train to London Bridge. Very close to 600,000 Aud.

Bonus you get Palace as your local team Oh and I do believe Rolf Harris lives in Sydenham... or he used to..

http://www.kfh.co.uk/residential/sal...e/se26/2040564

Edit I've just had a good look at real estate in the area where I grew up, around the house above. I reckon it's now on a price parity with what I've got here in Coburg/Brunswick... It used to be at least 33 to 40 pct dearer. Catford is really cheap !!
Forrest Hill is a dump though, to be fair to Perth you'd have to compare the house to a house in Cannington or Balga, and for $600k you'd get a lot more in Perth.
Old May 18th 2009, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

bubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud of

well we sold a house for 470000 in tapping in november and took a 70 000 dollar drop to sell.
Then came back and bought a house that is only 50 mins outside london for less than 300 000 and we now live in a lovely village in Bedfordshire which is so lovely compared to tapping.Going from a tiny garden to a 100 foot which overlooks beautiful countryside back and front which is not overlooked by 20 houses like in Tapping.Ten minutes away from lovely market town of Hitchin filled with historic buildings dating back 100s of years......................mmmmmmmmm know where i would rather be.Ship sinking someone said,that quote just reminded me of the small minded people i met in WA who told me that the recession would not hit OZ.
Old May 18th 2009, 10:38 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bubbles08
well we sold a house for 470000 in tapping in november and took a 70 000 dollar drop to sell.
Then came back and bought a house that is only 50 mins outside london for less than 300 000 and we now live in a lovely village in Bedfordshire which is so lovely compared to tapping.Going from a tiny garden to a 100 foot which overlooks beautiful countryside back and front which is not overlooked by 20 houses like in Tapping.Ten minutes away from lovely market town of Hitchin filled with historic buildings dating back 100s of years......................mmmmmmmmm know where i would rather be.Ship sinking someone said,that quote just reminded me of the small minded people i met in WA who told me that the recession would not hit OZ.
Good post,i was just saying to the missus the other day that a lot of Perth's house prices are now similar to the SE of england.The houses which are well placed with views of the river,or with coastal views are probably worth the price that people want to pay to live in that location.That leaves a lot of potentially overpriced homes in average locations,the following year could be interesting
Old May 18th 2009, 11:20 am
Banned

brendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by northernlights
I would not touch an investment property right now, regardless of price/rental yield/negative gearing. Cash/Gold is king, you are doing the right thing La Vida by not buying and saving. Too many amateurs in the market these days, heard about the shoe shine boys in NY in 1929, same story now, everyone's a property investment winner/expert.

Too many people are getting levereged up, borrowing against 'house price paper gains'. If this ponzi scheme shows any signs of crumbling then they are all in for a big hit.

Anecdotal evidence. A few very experienced property investors I know ( been in the residential/commercial for 15 years plus) are sitting on the sidelines regarding Perth. The fat has gone out of residential and commercial market. They said they would put their money into stocks but seeing the ASX failed to get above the 4200 fibonacci trendline/4000 long term trend line, the stock market is also looking dodgy. Looking forward to the next 6 months.
Nicely put, very nice, polite but to the point!
Old May 18th 2009, 11:23 am
Banned

brendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bubbles08
Fantastic tale!!