Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

House Prices Keep Tumbling in Aus

House Prices Keep Tumbling in Aus

Old May 16th 2009, 8:35 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: House Prices Keep Tumbling in Aus

Originally Posted by sportsendurance
I am looking at house prices between 350k and 450k and there appears to be a reduction in price, or at least there appears to be better value for money on these prices - WA.
WA should be dropping a bit, as their prices were sky high in comparison to the rest of the country.

Established House price increase between June 2002 and July 2008:
Perth 12.36% pa average from $190,000 to $445,000
compared to
Sydney 4.57% pa average from $394,000 to $515,000
Melbourne 5.71% pa average from $260,000 to $399,100

Old May 16th 2009, 8:44 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: House Prices Keep Tumbling in Aus

Originally Posted by bjddavies
A somewhat worrying fact is that 2 out of 3 agents I have spoken to are British Expats themselves. Must be a sign of how bad things are in the UK.
The real estate agent who came to see our house this week said that she's already spoken to three other couples in our neighbourhood who are leaving for Australia.
Old May 16th 2009, 8:48 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
WA should be dropping a bit, as their prices were sky high in comparison to the rest of the country.

Established House price increase between June 2002 and July 2008:
Perth 12.36% pa average from $190,000 to $445,000
compared to
Sydney 4.57% pa average from $394,000 to $515,000
Melbourne 5.71% pa average from $260,000 to $399,100
often disagree with you at times ABC,but on this one could not agree more
Old May 16th 2009, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

I am a first time buyer and in this area, the Hunter Valley, it is one of the first questions they ask if you are a first time buyer. You get a quick response from the agents when you make a query so I think that things must be desperate.
In my very uniformed opinion I would say that prices are falling here in the Hunter Region. I have seen unit prices fall a lot along with sub-$300,000 houses.

A somewhat worrying fact is that 2 out of 3 agents I have spoken to are British Expats themselves. Must be a sign of how bad things are in the UK.
depends who you are when you say bad in uk some things are booming
Old May 16th 2009, 9:29 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Catch
often disagree with you at times ABC,but on this one could not agree more
That's because we are now talking about a specific state and not Australia as an entire entity

Although the thread title does say: "House Prices Keep Tumbling in Aus", which may not be too accurate...

tumble
intransitive verb:
to fall suddenly and helplessly

Old May 16th 2009, 9:49 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

That's because we are now talking about a specific state and not Australia as an entire entity

Although the thread title does say: "House Prices Keep Tumbling in Aus", which may not be too accurate...
But normal Gets us reading though Have to say from what I can see around here prices are certainly not tumbling. House on our road went at Auction today for $570,000. Just over a year ago they wanted nearly $700,000 but it was way way overpriced. Considering the work needed to make it a) habitable and b) worthy of the location, they need to spend over $50,000. Makes what they paid today a bargain but still the right price for what it is.
Old May 16th 2009, 10:07 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

People only sell if they have to in a market like this, and I imagine most will stay put till prices start to rise again. If you keep your eyes open you may pick up a bargain, but don't expect there to be shed loads of them (unless they are sheds). Also, you won't know that the upturn has started until it is too late and prices are rising.
Old May 16th 2009, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

bjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nice

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
The real estate agent who came to see our house this week said that she's already spoken to three other couples in our neighbourhood who are leaving for Australia.
What I was really getting at was that they were Estate Agents AND British. Talk about the rats leaving the sinking ship or what.
Old May 16th 2009, 10:19 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jmh
People only sell if they have to in a market like this, and I imagine most will stay put till prices start to rise again. If you keep your eyes open you may pick up a bargain, but don't expect there to be shed loads of them (unless they are sheds). Also, you won't know that the upturn has started until it is too late and prices are rising.
There was something on TV tonight, but I can't recall what State, but in the sub $500k market there are a lot more buyers than sellers, and property is being priced accordingly...

They neeed more houses to be put on the market, to satisfy the demand.

Old May 16th 2009, 11:15 am
Account Closed

got it in one.I enjoy living in Perth,The climate,good beaches,but we should be paying less for housing than the eastern states,as a lot of other things are more expensive than over east.
Old May 16th 2009, 11:19 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Catch
got it in one.I enjoy living in Perth,The climate,good beaches,but we should be paying less for housing than the eastern states,as a lot of other things are more expensive than over east.
Especially your food, you really do need an ALDI....

Old May 16th 2009, 11:23 am
Account Closed

Especially your food, you really do need an ALDI....
oooooooohh yyess
Old May 16th 2009, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

What I was really getting at was that they were Estate Agents AND British. Talk about the rats leaving the sinking ship or what.
uk aint sinking in uk I grant you building is suffering but now less houses to go round more people entering uk = not enough houseing prices go up
Old May 16th 2009, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

bjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nice

Originally Posted by eugene43
uk aint sinking in uk I grant you building is suffering but now less houses to go round more people entering uk = not enough houseing prices go up
I was being a metaphorical about the state of the UK. Restricting supply of houses will be the only reason why the why the prices go up. You have to ask yourself where the money to pay for this is going to come from though. At least Australia has minerals it can dig up and sell.
With the recent banking crises in the UK even the fabled invisible earnings from the financial sector which used to keep the UK economy afloat are at risk. Take a look at the balance of trade for the UK. I don't think the UK has had a surplus for many years, even decades.
Old May 16th 2009, 9:31 pm
Kingscliff NSW/QLD border

the plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to all

i must admit in perth house prices went crazy !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.