Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

House prices in Brisbane - It's SOOO expensive.

House prices in Brisbane - It's SOOO expensive.

Old Jun 24th 2007, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

Croweater has a spectacular aura aboutCroweater has a spectacular aura aboutCroweater has a spectacular aura about
Default House prices in Brisbane - It's SOOO expensive.

We've been trying to find an affordable house in Brisbane for the past 3 weeks. The problem is, it's gone so damn expensive.

We got jobs around the CBD, this is where the best money is. But any housing of a decent size in a nice area, 3 bedrooms, is in the region of $500k +. Any less than this and the area is rough looking with no amenities.

You can get a house at places like Northlakes for less but it takes 45 mins to drive into the city. This is the same if you buy in Springfield lakes.

Anyone know of a nice affordable suburb within 20 mins drive of the city ? $450k budget. Any help appreciated.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 12:37 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House prices in Brisbane - It's SOOO expensive.

What type of house are you looking for? I know when I first arrived I had an aversion to wooden houses...but now I live in one! I know a lot of people want a nice new build home though. Mine is in Holland Park.....15mins drive to the CBD (if you leave about 7am), 4 bed + pool and would be within your price range. As you say though the area does lack some amenities...i.e. a decent restaurant precinct like you would find in some of the more inner suburbs.

Last edited by bcworld; Jun 24th 2007 at 12:45 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 1:03 pm
Loving Brisbane !!

Southgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud of

I laugh when you say 15 mins at 7am. What's it like around 8am and 5pm.

We're looking for housing within 20 mins of the CBD at peak times and they're expensive, circa 500k for anything in a nice area. Where are all the cheap house everyone talks about on expats, they must be 30 k's from the city.

I've seen a lot of nice wooden houses but if your neighbour can't be arsed to paint theirs the street starts to look run down.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 1:12 pm
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Southgate
Where are all the cheap house everyone talks about on expats, they must be 30 k's from the city.
What cheap houses are these? By the way, Brisbane's widely regarded as the most affordable city in Oz with the biggest prospect of capital growth in the next couple of years.

Best get something quick smart if you're planning on settling there...

Graham
Old Jun 24th 2007, 1:14 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Southgate;4961430]I laugh when you say 15 mins at 7am. What's it like around 8am and 5pm.
QUOTE]

8am....probably more like 30mins.....strangely at 5pm my commute from Milton still only takes around 20 minutes. I will say though that as soon as anything goes wrong in Brisbane...like a car brakes down on the inner city bypass that it seems like the whole of SEQ grinds to a halt....that or if it rains! Then I could be sitting on the SE freeway for an hour.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 1:17 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by northerner
Brisbane's widely regarded as the most affordable city in Oz with the biggest prospect of capital growth in the next couple of years.
Graham
.....i can never quite work out why this is....sure the people keep coming but the city is in a water emergency.....without some major rain things are going to get very difficult around here before they get any better....not sure how desirable homes in brisbane will be with level 7 water restrictions!
Old Jun 24th 2007, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by northerner
What cheap houses are these? By the way, Brisbane's widely regarded as the most affordable city in Oz with the biggest prospect of capital growth in the next couple of years.

Best get something quick smart if you're planning on settling there...

Graham
You're telling me!

we are going to Townsville in sept and when I started researching last year there were dozens of houses in my price range ($300000) on realestate.com. Now when I look, I'm lucky to see 2 or 3. I think it's the whole of Queensland that's rising
Old Jun 24th 2007, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Inner city brisbane (under 8klms) has gone mad the last year, media had it picked as the must have investment and old shacks that are basically money pits or demolish jobs are now going for high 400's and 500's, even with that people are fighting over them. Crazy, but compared to say sydney or inner melbourne they probably are still cheap. We got the same sort of shock last visit to melb, absolute dumps in the suburbs close to the city going for way above the looney prices in brisbane.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 10:15 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

I've been in Brisbane now for 9 years...

$450K within 20 minutes of CBD? You are stretching it a bit!

You could possibly pick something up in the leafy affluent west "The Gap" (where we live) for that money - but the bus trip is 30 minutes (fine if you live near the bus stop).

Further north in Keperra you're on a more reliable train line into the city (25minutes) - but the area is considerably less well regarded.

bcworld - Holland Park? - Chances of getting anything for $450k that isnt falling apart are slim!

Good luck looking anyway!
check http://www.realestate.com.au for a comprehensive set of listings....
Old Jun 25th 2007, 2:01 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by DadAgain
bcworld - Holland Park? - Chances of getting anything for $450k that isnt falling apart are slim!
...its a funny suburb.....parts of it have city views and $1m price tags....others are pretty desolate looking...all beat up weatherboard homes and cyclone fences in the $300ks....and a lot of it is leafy and nice suburbia. I'm not saying to would be easy for $450k...just that its a possibility...I'm also basing that on what I paid back in Mar 2006 and maybe i'm underestimating capital growth since then. I agree though that $450k for 20minute commute to the CBD is a big ask.....if new build is a priority then the best you could hope for would be a townhouse.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 5:49 am
Banned

Uncle Fester has a spectacular aura aboutUncle Fester has a spectacular aura aboutUncle Fester has a spectacular aura about

Do you HAVE to live near the CBD? A bit of a travel each way and you can get a bigger block, possibly a bigger house, for a bit less cash. Might be worth expanding your search area? From what we've seen so far the trains seem pretty cheap/reliable if you don't want to drive all the way in.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 5:58 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Uncle Fester
Do you HAVE to live near the CBD? A bit of a travel each way and you can get a bigger block, possibly a bigger house, for a bit less cash. Might be worth expanding your search area? From what we've seen so far the trains seem pretty cheap/reliable if you don't want to drive all the way in.
Indeed so Fes, 12 months ago we got 3 acres within 50 minutes drive of the CBD (on a VERY good day, since we are talking 'estate agent' times) for $315K. Or a 15 minute drive and 40 minutes on the train.

Now OK, the house isn't a palace and the reputation of the neighbourhood isn't the brightest around AND you can't get a Mocha Latte Slim Jim Flip Flap Pretentious Coffee for love nor money but we like it.

Of course, each and every one to their own but I think some of the housing (and therefore social) problems are caused by people wanting to be somewhere just because of it's reputation ... one man's 'bad area' is another's bargain hunt.

Logan/Beaudesert border, in case anyone is wondering.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

Try 30mins and look at suburbs like Rochedale Sth, Springwood and Daisy Hill for sub $450K houses. Best of luck!