Wikiposts

House Price Serious Warning

Old Nov 29th 2003, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: House Price Serious Warning

Originally posted by badgersmount
mate.

is this a warning from the estate agents body, which everyone is trying to keep a secret, or it is just your guess about what is happening in your area?

badge

Hi Badge
i am a secretary for a 'countrywide' estate agents and we haven't seen a dramatic slowdown at all over the last few months, yes it is slower this month but it always is at this time of year. We will sell ours after christmas but that is because we want to be 'ready' when our app is approved not because of a market slowdown/decline
with regards
rach & family
Old Nov 29th 2003, 2:55 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

What's a price crash?. So prices drop 15-20%, they've gone up 100-200% over the last 5 years (well around here they have). You do the maths. The fundamentals of the UK property market are sound, It's a small Country with a lot of people, It's an affluent country with a strong job market & interest rates are at an all time low & should be for the next couple of years. I'm confident that it is a long term, safe investment.
Old Nov 29th 2003, 9:07 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Amazulu
What's a price crash?. So prices drop 15-20%, they've gone up 100-200% over the last 5 years (well around here they have). You do the maths. The fundamentals of the UK property market are sound, It's a small Country with a lot of people, It's an affluent country with a strong job market & interest rates are at an all time low & should be for the next couple of years. I'm confident that it is a long term, safe investment.

The problem with a crash is for those who have overextended themselves, find they are unable to keep up with mortgage payments due to rising rates and that the value of the mortgage is above the value of the house (negative equity).

The nightmare for potential emigrants is a dead market where the house won't shift whatever the price. The interest rate rises associated with a crash can kill a market.

Then there are the knock on affects to the economy to worry about. Areas such as building, DIY etc will get hammered and there will be a knock to retail sales.

Stopping the economy getting into this state is hard as interest rates affect a very slow private sector. It is because the economy has some healthy growth forecast that rates are now on the rise.
Old Nov 29th 2003, 6:39 pm
Merlot

Default Same story in Oz

Originally posted by bondipom
The problem with a crash is for those who have overextended themselves, find they are unable to keep up with mortgage payments due to rising rates and that the value of the mortgage is above the value of the house (negative equity).

The nightmare for potential emigrants is a dead market where the house won't shift whatever the price. The interest rate rises associated with a crash can kill a market.

Then there are the knock on affects to the economy to worry about. Areas such as building, DIY etc will get hammered and there will be a knock to retail sales.

Stopping the economy getting into this state is hard as interest rates affect a very slow private sector. It is because the economy has some healthy growth forecast that rates are now on the rise.
Seems we are going the same way over here in Oz, I guess it is the old thing of do your research, then once that is done, do a little bit more.

Old Nov 29th 2003, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

No signs of prices dropping around here ( Surrey S London) They seem to be much the same. I am sick of hearing that they are going to drop, scaremongering again I am sure or highly regional.
Old Nov 29th 2003, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to all
Default Re: House Price Serious Warning

Its a far more pressing worry that house prices in Oz have shot up and still are, and that the exchange rate is lower and shows no signs of improvement..... You wont buy a cheap house in Oz anymore (in real terms)..... This has cost most people a couple of bedrooms !!!
Old Nov 30th 2003, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future
Default Will house prices come down?

Estate agents and mortgage companies say no, economists say yes. I go with with the economists on this, house prices are cyclic.

A lot of the recent buy-to-let owners will get badly burnt. In a rising market it is easy to convince yourself you have a talent for making money from property. Parallels with sharetraders in the dotcom boom. Like upturns, downturns are always overdone, I anticipate a 30-40% correction.

A 40% drop is the same as a 66% gain.
Old Nov 30th 2003, 1:11 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tinaj
No signs of prices dropping around here ( Surrey S London) They seem to be much the same. I am sick of hearing that they are going to drop, scaremongering again I am sure or highly regional.
It's a point of view - and you're in the fortunate position of being off PDQ!

But the fact remains that the bubble in house pricing has made/forced a large number of people to over-extend themselves. They've been able to because of the low interest rates and because the lenders have forgotten the last bubble.

Interest rates are going to go up rather than down, and at some stage there are going to be a lot of people who can't afford their mortgage payments. A few thousand forced sales could easily start a spiral out of control until the corrrection burns out.

IMHO!
:scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Nov 30th 2003, 8:43 pm
Purveyor of Beaches

DavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura about

What a nice negative & speculative topic. I believe mystic meg & co should perhaps believe everyone they talk to & you will come out of it with a balanced opinion, if as the figures & statistics suggest there is still a increase in the quieter periods then thats something to be optamistic about.
If it drops 40% the country would go to the wall, I can see the rental market improving tho
Old Nov 30th 2003, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Enzo&Chloe is an unknown quantity at this point

OK

Want to know what the prices are doing in your area. this site gives a breakdown by postcode, and type of house.

http://www.proviser.com/regional/postcodes/
Old Nov 30th 2003, 9:27 pm
Badge

The market has to DROP when the poor first time buyers can't buy, or when rates climb back to 6-7pc. I wonder where the first time buyers are getting their 20k deposits from for that 200k one bed flat. and then paying 80pc of a 30k salary for the mortage..

I actually feel sorry for the poor buggers. There are people walking around in nice homes, like the whinging pom from that programme who is not equipped to deal with life, when there are hard working professionals with jobs they work every hour in , and still can't afford to buy.

I bought 3 years ago and I thought that was the top!

The other thing of course, is that 1 rise of 1 pc on the mg might increse your repayment by say 150 dollars a month, which might be 10 pc of salary, but it may not reduce the price as well...by 10pc as people compete to buy a home...and it all goes up again..

badge

Last edited by badgersmount; Nov 30th 2003 at 9:29 pm.

Old Nov 30th 2003, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

paddythepilot will become famous soon enoughpaddythepilot will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Will house prices come down?

Originally posted by ossigeno
Estate agents and mortgage companies say no, economists say yes. I go with with the economists on this, house prices are cyclic.

A lot of the recent buy-to-let owners will get badly burnt. In a rising market it is easy to convince yourself you have a talent for making money from property. Parallels with sharetraders in the dotcom boom. Like upturns, downturns are always overdone, I anticipate a 30-40% correction.

A 40% drop is the same as a 66% gain.

Just a sober comment from Hong Kong regarding property prices here.

Property prices have fallen about 60 to 70% since the 'peak' in mid-1997........just think about that for a while, a 60-70% fall in a low tax, low interest environment like Hong Kong.

Yes we had a political dimension with the hand-over, but it just goes to show that the property market is all about 'sentiment'.

The UK really is in debt!

Cheers
Old Dec 1st 2003, 12:04 am
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

laws of supply and demand dictate house prices will not fall by much.

they have already corrected slightly in central london and been very flat for a year in and around london but london is not the uk norm as the wealth from the city influences house prices.

in the rest of the uk we require something like 150k new houses a year to stand still and we only build less than half that amount.

prescott can build all the houses he wants in east london but that will just make the nice bits even more desirable.
Old Dec 1st 2003, 5:37 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dugongs
laws of supply and demand dictate house prices will not fall by much.

they have already corrected slightly in central london and been very flat for a year in and around london but london is not the uk norm as the wealth from the city influences house prices.

in the rest of the uk we require something like 150k new houses a year to stand still and we only build less than half that amount.

prescott can build all the houses he wants in east london but that will just make the nice bits even more desirable.
Totally agree. The fundamentals are right.
UK: small place, lots of people, property is a long term safe bet.
Australia: big place, few people (you could fit the whole UK population on the east coast with half an acre each & there would still be plenty of space left). The market will be okay, but the fundamentals are different.
Old Dec 1st 2003, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Amazulu
Totally agree. The fundamentals are right.
UK: small place, lots of people, property is a long term safe bet.
Australia: big place, few people (you could fit the whole UK population on the east coast with half an acre each & there would still be plenty of space left). The market will be okay, but the fundamentals are different.
HK Small place, lots of people property, is a long term ... oh
Australia: big place with not an awful lot of it any use for building or supplying with water!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.