Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

house price negotiation - advice needed!

house price negotiation - advice needed!

Old Aug 13th 2010, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: house price negotiation - advice needed!

Originally Posted by Mr Kilt
After watching many an eposide of Location Location Location (my wife makes me watch it )and following the wise Phil Spencers advice....go in with a firm low offer stating it is your best offer. If they don't bite walk away for a week or so. Then you can start upping it a little. Set yourself a cut off point though and when it gets to it just walk away.
+1 to Mr Kilt.
If it's been on the market for 6 months the sellers might be being hoodwinked by the agent (they want their commission percentage) as to the true worth of the property or there's something wrong with the house.

I have to agree with crunchy frog-nothing worse than getting an instant acceptance of your first offer then thinking -mmm maybe they'd have taken less. I might be cheeky and try 450k to start-if they're keen to sell after 6 months you never know.

This is purely a business deal-if you went to a garage sale and wanted something that you thought was worth $5 and the price was $10 would you haggle? I would.
Do not be embarassed by making a low initial offer-if you end up paying too much that's your cash they are walking away with.

The next house you want will be along soon-I bought a lovely place 4 months ago and since then 3 more came on the market here which are equally suitable.

Last edited by ianandhelena; Aug 13th 2010 at 4:07 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

From my experience 450 is too low. They would not accept that, esp after just reducing. I'd go for 525 - good deal but not too low that they are actually angry
Old Aug 13th 2010, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

will.mackie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by maund family
We are first time buyers not in any chain
Rather than ask for a price reduction negotiate them to cover legal fees and maybe chuck in the odd additional perks, although it might not be a great deal more savings wise at least it's something you don't have to fork out for in the short run.

That way the risk of offending someone is greatly reduced.
Although in saying that, if my house was on sale for 6 months i'd be slight concerned and would take any realistic offer...

Try it, they can only say no
Old Aug 13th 2010, 9:29 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itxrd
From my experience 450 is too low. They would not accept that, esp after just reducing. I'd go for 525 - good deal but not too low that they are actually angry
sorry dont agree go in as low as possible,
six months on the market has got to smack of overpriced to start with

you can always offer them more but you can never ( normally ) reduce your offer,
Old Aug 13th 2010, 11:30 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
sorry dont agree go in as low as possible,
six months on the market has got to smack of overpriced to start with

you can always offer them more but you can never ( normally ) reduce your offer,
You'll get a better feel for the real price when they counter offer, so go low to give you both room to move. Once you make an offer, and the agent smells the money then the real high pressure fun starts. ( PS you know you cant out of an offer here etc so you better be sure )
Old Aug 13th 2010, 11:38 pm
ABCDiamond

Some current QLD property info from the paper today...
According to Australian Property Monitors, in June it took, on average, 85 days for a home in Brisbane to sell and 123 days on the Gold Coast.

Vendors discounted their initial asking prices by about 6.5 per cent in Brisbane and 7.3 per cent on the Gold Coast.

While days on market in Brisbane are currently significantly higher than the long-term average of 67 days, compared with this time last year homes are still trading faster.

Old Aug 14th 2010, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

maund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to all

Ok We have listened you all your advice and have offered $510. The agents face was priceless, went from Mr Friendly to Mr Offended, he has now gone back to the seller to give them our offer. Did not enjoy this one bit.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 1:09 am

lancastrian48 is an unknown quantity at this point

.[/QUOTE]

Awww poor little agent, stuff em, this is business and their commisssion
Old Aug 14th 2010, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

FionaandAndrew is just really niceFionaandAndrew is just really niceFionaandAndrew is just really niceFionaandAndrew is just really niceFionaandAndrew is just really niceFionaandAndrew is just really niceFionaandAndrew is just really niceFionaandAndrew is just really niceFionaandAndrew is just really nice

Let us know how it goes cos we'll be in the same position soon hopefully.
Good Luck!
Old Aug 14th 2010, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

maund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to all

Of course they turned the offer down, they are willing to come down $5000! We have said never mind and are going to sit back for a while.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 4:00 am
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maund family
Of course they turned the offer down, they are willing to come down $5000! We have said never mind and are going to sit back for a while.
Did you find out the sold price history? Would definitely be worth doing.

I'm afraid I can't remember which site we used, but we paid a few dollars for a full history of sold prices for the suburb that we were interested in. We could see the full chain of price for the house that we eventually bought. Some of the property sites have similar info for free, but the data offered seems to be just a tiny portion of all the sold stats.

Last edited by Kalenge; Aug 14th 2010 at 4:14 am.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 4:44 am
ABCDiamond

This must be the most interesting REAL property price thread for yonks

I'd love to see the previous price history of this property...

Old Aug 14th 2010, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

showdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really nice

House price history site is

http://www.onthehouse.com.au/
Old Aug 14th 2010, 5:47 am
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by showdan
House price history site is

http://www.onthehouse.com.au/
Found what I used before
http://reiwa.com.au/mkt/mkt-vgopublic-search.cfm
Specify street/area that you're interested in and then pay a few dollars for the detailed info on price history - even ones which are listed as "Price Withheld" on other sites.

Does OnTheHouse provide the same level of detail for free? If so, then definitely worth signing up to.

Last edited by Kalenge; Aug 14th 2010 at 5:54 am. Reason: typo
Old Aug 14th 2010, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

Yes we paid $30 and it gave us the history of the street. The house we are interested in was last brought 6 years ago for $425,000.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.