Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

In-House Mosquito Repellants

In-House Mosquito Repellants

Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute
Default In-House Mosquito Repellants

The OH is sick of waking up with itchy, scratchy bites and is adamant that she is being targeted by mozzies during the night.

In my younger days when we used to go on holiday, we used to buy mozzie repellants/adaptors which plugged into the wall into which you inserted a 'tablet' on a daily basis and these seemed to do the trick in keeping the mozzies at bay.

Can you get similar things out here or are there better solutions?? I've seen something like an aerosol can which squirts a fine spray every now and then but I'm not sure how good they are.

Note, I'm talking about *inside* the house and the solution needs to be *pet safe*

Thanks

Last edited by tictac; Feb 25th 2008 at 10:51 pm. Reason: added the pet safe bit
Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:42 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: In-House Mosquito Repellants

Yes you can get those tablet things - we use them. Don't know if there is anything better.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

you can get the plug ins tablet or liquid form mortein do them cost about $7.00 if you buy the plug and tablet which has about 30days worth of tablet
Old Feb 25th 2008, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

The little gets love me, but hate the wife. I get a really bad reaction.

We have one of the Morten Liquid Jobbies in the bedroom..it seams to have stopped them. You get about 35 nights out of one bottle - if you remember to switch it off in the morning.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 11:24 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tictac
I've seen something like an aerosol can which squirts a fine spray every now and then but I'm not sure how good they are.

We have this thing and it works brilliantly on flys. I also haven't been bitten by anything inside the house. You can tell when it runs out as all the flys start to come back. We have kids and a dog and they are not adversely effected.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sme
We have this thing and it works brilliantly on flys. I also haven't been bitten by anything inside the house. You can tell when it runs out as all the flys start to come back. We have kids and a dog and they are not adversely effected.
Some friends of our have one of these

The first time I heard it 'go off' I thought it was one of them letting rip
Old Feb 26th 2008, 12:05 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

We were both in hospital with Dengue Fever a couple of years ago so are totally neurotic about mosquitos; unfortunately we live in a Dengue Hotspot.

We have cats so anything we use has to be pet-friendly - we have some lamps that I bought at the local DIY. I can't remember how they're supposed to work - some kind of UV light that attracts flying things, plus some sticky disks to catch them on that you change every now and then.

Oh here's a link: http://www.advante.com.sg/bh/about.htm
Another one: http://forums.livingwithstyle.com/sh...p?t=1869929362

Not sure if the science bit is total rubbish but we do catch a lot of bugs. We have 3 around the house, including the bedroom.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sme
where do you get them from they sound really good
Old Feb 26th 2008, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tictac
The OH is sick of waking up with itchy, scratchy bites and is adamant that she is being targeted by mozzies during the night.

In my younger days when we used to go on holiday, we used to buy mozzie repellants/adaptors which plugged into the wall into which you inserted a 'tablet' on a daily basis and these seemed to do the trick in keeping the mozzies at bay.

Can you get similar things out here or are there better solutions?? I've seen something like an aerosol can which squirts a fine spray every now and then but I'm not sure how good they are.

Note, I'm talking about *inside* the house and the solution needs to be *pet safe*

Thanks
www.robocan.com.au

Available at Bunnings.

HTH
Old Feb 26th 2008, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

does any body know how much they cost per unit and how many you would need to cover a 4 bed e bath home?