Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

House and garden advice for spiders

Wikiposts

House and garden advice for spiders

Old Jul 21st 2003, 10:18 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollyana
I was told that the spiders in Arachnophobia were Australian Huntsmen......?
no ithink they were a NZ version.......... MM
Old Jul 21st 2003, 10:22 pm
Badge

all of these pictures are small compared to the monstrosity I saw. The leg span was literally a foot across maybe 18 inches.

It was on a rafter above an *outside* dining area in a house.

badgers

Old Jul 21st 2003, 11:08 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by badgersmount
all of these pictures are small compared to the monstrosity I saw. The leg span was literally a foot across maybe 18 inches.

badgers
You been watching too much Harry Potter mate??
Old Jul 21st 2003, 11:35 pm
Badge

Originally posted by PeteY
You been watching too much Harry Potter mate??
come to think of it....

Old Jul 21st 2003, 11:52 pm
Just Joined

nagel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default just how do they get into cars

Originally posted by denhim
just how do these huntsman spiders get into your car if there so big?

if you look at the picture that petey posted i'd guess they just force the locks.
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

kaleb777 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cars have got plenty of holes where spiders can get into. Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 1:50 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

badgers
Stop winding the arachnophobia's up- lol, they don't grow to that size, they don't even grow to half that size.

The largest species of huntsman spider (there are a few different species) measured from out stretched legs (across the body from the tip of the leg to leg)) measures around 160mm ( Ie 6.30 inches) - under half the size of your one

If you saw an 18 inch - geeze you should have called the Guinness book of records - it's funny how the mind plays tricks isn't it?

No wonder you were afraid - I would be too if I saw an 18 inch Huntsman.( 457 mm ) spider :scared:

Cheers

P.S here's a link for you - this one says 15cm the largest ( i.e 150 mm - or just under 6 inches)
http://www.austmus.gov.au/factsheets...an_spiders.htm
" Huntsman spiders are large, long-legged spiders, measuring up to 15 cm across the legs. "
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 8:28 pm
Badge

have to admit starting to think I saw another species - but it was about that size. I heard an aussie say Huntsman - but it didnt look like any of the above photos - any ideas what it might be??? Huntman are tiny by comparison - the legs spreaded out like tentacles ....the legs were very thick and furry too - maybe as much as 1 cm thick - it was quite light grey/brown in colour- and a lot more furry than the Huntsman...the body looked like a mouse

but I kid you not on the size of it.

badgers

Last edited by badgersmount; Jul 22nd 2003 at 8:34 pm.

Old Jul 22nd 2003, 8:31 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

have to admit starting to think I saw another species - but it was about that size. any ideas what it might be??? The legs spreaded out like tentacles ....

badgers
Whatever it was please reassure me that you didn't see it in Adelaide...
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 8:38 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Now now badgers, you're just being naughty and trying to scare people ....!!!! All those poor terrified arachnophobes out there- they'll never even be able to look at a money spider again!
I shall come up and slap your legs for you.
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 9:34 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mika24me
Whatever it was please reassure me that you didn't see it in Adelaide...
no in Adelaide, 6inch di is a big spider......... MM
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 12:41 am
Badge

Originally posted by mr mover
no in Adelaide, 6inch di is a big spider......... MM
a 6in what??!!

Old Jul 23rd 2003, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

John Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant future

Forget the spidersl, what about Oz having the 10 most deadly snakes in the world :scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

John Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant future

Forget the spiders, what about Oz having the 10 most deadly snakes in the world :scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 1:41 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by John Howard
Forget the spiders, what about Oz having the 10 most deadly snakes in the world :scared: :scared: :scared:
I thought it was only the 9 most deadly snakes in the world...

Sorry to be pedantic but I am very bored

Mel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.