Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

House and garden advice for spiders

Wikiposts

House and garden advice for spiders

Old Jul 18th 2003, 12:17 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default House and garden advice for spiders

No its not an advice column for spiders on purchasing houses

I know there has been many a thread on this but I still find myself thinking about the fact that when we move to Australia we will be living in a country where a great deal of respect has to be paid to the fact that some of the wildlife can kill you. It is something that I am sure we will adapt to. Having spoken to several Australians it does not seem to be a fact that looms large in their lives.

I found this site for all those people just going or newly arrived

Helpful hints

This ones fun to give you a full list and facts on the various species

:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

http://www.austmus.gov.au/factsheets/#spiders

Enjoy

Mr Garrett
Old Jul 18th 2003, 12:23 am
Just Joined

JandKS is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh. My. God. There are ones that JUMP?????!!!!!

:scared:
Old Jul 18th 2003, 12:25 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Boooing

Theres several that jump. I didn't take much solace about the huntsman that jump when there getting away.

Old Jul 18th 2003, 12:43 am
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by JandKS
Oh. My. God. There are ones that JUMP?????!!!!!

What really worries me is that the Hunstman spider may "appear unexpectedly in your car"!
Old Jul 18th 2003, 1:40 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pookin
What really worries me is that the Hunstman spider may "appear unexpectedly in your car"!
yeah nothing , worse when your driving home in the evening, you turn , in to the setting sun , pull downyour visor, and a FRIGGIN GREAT Huntsman drops in your lap,:scared: my wife was nearly carted off to mental home when it happened to her, left the car blocking a major freeway.............. MM
Old Jul 18th 2003, 1:48 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

for those heading to Sydney this is a useful site
http://faunanet.gov.au/wos/index.cfm

on spiders it includes the myths & truth about the funnel web. Some good names like bird dropping and garden wolf spiders (name sounds more:scared: than it really is)
Old Jul 18th 2003, 5:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, I've been advised by expats in Tassie to always check the sunvisor when getting in the car - saves that moment of panic when a (non-venomous) spider the size of a dinner-plate falls in your lap!
I remember lying on the floor watching TV one night 9in brissie this time), and one walked across the floor towards me. I'm not really scared of them, but as I was at floor level, and it was BIG it was as if I was looking it in the eye! According to my better half I just lay there gibbering until he swept it outside! Even he agreed it was a mega-one, and he's an Aussie & used to them!
Old Jul 18th 2003, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

I's a great ploy for getting teenage children to pick their discarded clothes up off the floor

I hate spiders, but after 12 1/2 years am slowly getting used to them.

Hint: don't squash a Huntsman on your newly painted walls!! Did this once and still living with the result!
Old Jul 18th 2003, 10:09 am
up the boro!

denhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant future

if its one thing that will make me pack up and go home, it will be spiders. :scared:
better make an appointment with an hypnotherapist before i go me thinks...
Old Jul 19th 2003, 12:07 am
earlswood

What a great post!!

Scared the shit out of me!!

Earlswood
:scared: :scared:

Old Jul 19th 2003, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by earlswood
What a great post!!

Scared the shit out of me!!

Earlswood
:scared: :scared:

Me too!!!! Read about the snakes on the same day. Jibbering wreck, thinking about mesh, clearing around the house, rubber under doors etc.

:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Jul 19th 2003, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

kaleb777 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not just the sun visor that they hide behind. I was driving on a freeway at 110Km/h when one came out of the front of the car and started to walk towards the windscreen.

Another time I saw one on the windscreen and turned on the wipers but it ended up that it was on the inside. I lost it only to later hear it crunch under my hand as I steered. That only pissed it off. It started to shed webs everywhere (hunstmans usually only make webs when they're in distress). Later at a servo I was about to start the car when it came up from behind the steering wheel and sat on top of it facing me. I opened the door and flicked it out where upon landing it turned and started to scurry back towards the car! I floored it out of there like I'd just held the place up.

Many people will just ignore hunstmans in their homes. They eat insects and generally keep to themselves although you can hear the big ones walking on the wall. The bad ones are little black shiney ones called house spiders that can cause your flesh to die around the bite. These mostly live outside under eves. I know of no pesticide that gets rid of them. I have to get an exterior house cleaner with a high pressure water jet to remove the webs but the spiders always come back eventually. The little wagtail birds eat them. It's no big deal once you live here. You just have to remember never to stick your hands into holes which is good advice wherever you live.

People are more concerned with the 5cm long cockroaches that fly into windows than spiders.
Old Jul 20th 2003, 8:51 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by kaleb777
It's not just the sun visor that they hide behind. I was driving on a freeway at 110Km/h when one came out of the front of the car and started to walk towards the windscreen.

Another time I saw one on the windscreen and turned on the wipers but it ended up that it was on the inside. I lost it only to later hear it crunch under my hand as I steered. That only pissed it off. It started to shed webs everywhere (hunstmans usually only make webs when they're in distress). Later at a servo I was about to start the car when it came up from behind the steering wheel and sat on top of it facing me. I opened the door and flicked it out where upon landing it turned and started to scurry back towards the car! I floored it out of there like I'd just held the place up.

Many people will just ignore hunstmans in their homes. They eat insects and generally keep to themselves although you can hear the big ones walking on the wall. The bad ones are little black shiney ones called house spiders that can cause your flesh to die around the bite. These mostly live outside under eves. I know of no pesticide that gets rid of them. I have to get an exterior house cleaner with a high pressure water jet to remove the webs but the spiders always come back eventually. The little wagtail birds eat them. It's no big deal once you live here. You just have to remember never to stick your hands into holes which is good advice wherever you live.

People are more concerned with the 5cm long cockroaches that fly into windows than spiders.
just ignore them they do more good than harm...... MM
Old Jul 20th 2003, 11:47 pm
A soft and furry member

Bluey is an unknown quantity at this point

Could somebody please re-assure me that this post is in fact a joke, and that there are no spiders whatsoever in Australia.......please.
Old Jul 20th 2003, 11:55 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Bluey
Could somebody please re-assure me that this post is in fact a joke, and that there are no spiders whatsoever in Australia.......please.
For Bluey :

There are NO spiders or snakes whatsoever in australia. NONE !

For everyone else : (DO NOT READ BLUEY )

I had a scarey experience out there once....left the kitchen light on (forgot to turn it off).....was going to bed then i remembered.

Stuck my hand round the corner and turned the light off. Just as it went dark i felt somthing heavy land on my hand, brought my hand back and in the twilight saw the BIGGEST HUNTSMAN IN THE WORLD sitting there grinning at me.

I am not in the least big scared of spiders.....but that one gave me the willies. Funny thing was the thud as i flinged it against the wall. I mean, jesus, what kind of spider makes a "thud" when it hits somthing !!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.