Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

house, fence neighbours

house, fence neighbours

Old Apr 1st 2007, 3:33 pm
jocky boy 'JOHN' DOC'

jocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant future
Cool house, fence neighbours

Hi there all

well i bought land and a new home to build on in the package and there is another couple of plots next to me i payed for a new fence right round the house 5 grand could anyone does the neighbour help to chip in the price of the fence you see i know a couple of people who have done this is a normal thing to do.

john
Old Apr 1st 2007, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: house, fence neighbours

Sounds to me like something you should have discussed with them before you went ahead and did it.... they might turn around and say that they don't like it anyway! Personally if a neighbour of mine did something that affected the joint boundary and then demanded money for it I would not take it very well!
Old Apr 1st 2007, 5:12 pm
Banned

acbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jocky boy
Hi there all

well i bought land and a new home to build on in the package and there is another couple of plots next to me i payed for a new fence right round the house 5 grand could anyone does the neighbour help to chip in the price of the fence you see i know a couple of people who have done this is a normal thing to do.

john
Yes as above you generally seek 'permission' before if you want the neighbours to pay towards it. If you go ahead and do it then its generally your sole responsibility to maintain the upkeep of it.

Axx
Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:35 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there all

john
there is a dividing fence law in that the neighbours must pay half of their portion, but as said before you should have asked permission before putting it up. Some of them may still pay up though so just write them a letter saying that you have put it up and will they contribute their half...you never know you may be lucky.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 10:17 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
there is a dividing fence law in that the neighbours must pay half of their portion, but as said before you should have asked permission before putting it up. Some of them may still pay up though so just write them a letter saying that you have put it up and will they contribute their half...you never know you may be lucky.
Generally you have to agree on a fence that's mutually suitable to you both. Where we live split posts and wire are the norm [3 or 4 strands of barbed wire] We are in negotiations with one of our neighbors who wants to use dog wire. The dog wire is better though more expensive, he's going to pay the difference. We're both going to do the work and share the cost of the tractor needed to hammer in the posts.
In towns and cities the same laws still apply you need to agree on a type of fence, exceptions are areas under a covenance where the type of fence is dictated by that covenance. It's normal practice to get three quotes before you go ahead with any work.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

By the Avon is just really niceBy the Avon is just really niceBy the Avon is just really niceBy the Avon is just really niceBy the Avon is just really niceBy the Avon is just really niceBy the Avon is just really niceBy the Avon is just really nice

Originally Posted by biggy
I had a friend who arrived in his newly built house to a demand for money for fencing that the guy next door had put up. Unfortunately he didn't take to it well as a result there was always bad feeling there. I don't think he ever did pay him. If you do approach your neighbour do it more thoughtfully!
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by By the Avon
I had a friend who arrived in his newly built house to a demand for money for fencing that the guy next door had put up. Unfortunately he didn't take to it well as a result there was always bad feeling there. I don't think he ever did pay him. If you do approach your neighbour do it more thoughtfully!
Fencing seems to be quite regulated (isn't everything?!).

Depending on where you live one of these should help clarify things.
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...cr%3DcountryAU
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by By the Avon
We have 4 neighbours, 2 sharing the back fence and 1 either side, although 2 of them have yet to start building. We had our fencing put up without consulting any of our neighbours, and we wouldn't dream of approaching them for money. If they offer, all well and good, but if not, were not bothered. Having said that, I don't think our neighbour on our left will be offering anything, especially after we had a falling out with him recently regarding his setbacks.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 1:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there all

john
Look up the regulations on the local council website.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 9:35 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there all

john
I hope you first made sure that the fence was built on the legal dividing line, that has been surveyed, between blocks as you would look rather foolish if it was built on the neighbours land. I have a feeling that they maybe within their rights to pull it down if that is the case, possibly at your expense.
BTW you have just added value to their property.

Last edited by The Bloke; Apr 2nd 2007 at 9:37 am.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 9:43 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marco121068
Fencing seems to be quite regulated (isn't everything?!).

Depending on where you live one of these should help clarify things.
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...cr%3DcountryAU
Would only apply if there is consultation and agreement prior to erection. If not, tough luck, erector foots the bill.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

deannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sassie
We have 4 neighbours, 2 sharing the back fence and 1 either side, although 2 of them have yet to start building. We had our fencing put up without consulting any of our neighbours, and we wouldn't dream of approaching them for money. If they offer, all well and good, but if not, were not bothered. Having said that, I don't think our neighbour on our left will be offering anything, especially after we had a falling out with him recently regarding his setbacks.

setbacks are they like slingbacks
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 4:45 pm
jocky boy 'JOHN' DOC'

jocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant future
Cool Re: house, fence neighbours

thanks all

thanks a bunch i didn't think of that me putting value on there property, the fence is of the right requirements all through the builing .

john.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm unfortunately lots of things people do to improve their own houses also improve the neighbourhood & thus help the value of neighbouring houses. Doesn't mean your neighbours will want to contribute to the work you have had done. (I can see that they might directly benefit from the fence, but I would still be surprised if they voluntarily cough up half the cash).
I would really be extremely careful about how you approach the issue, as it could easily create a bad atmosphere that you will have to deal with every day for as long as you live there.
(Eg How would you feel if one of them planted a large expensive tree in their garden, then asked you to pay half as you benefit from the pleasant greeness & blossom in spring, for some of the day it casts nice cool shade on your garden and it will drop fruit for you too. Would you happily say yeah sure here's a few hundred dollars? )