Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

House is falling apart

Wikiposts

House is falling apart

Old Sep 1st 2003, 10:09 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by whisky
DON'T OPEN THAT CUPBOARD DOOR!!!!!!!! - too late.

Whisky
I had a list of things that still needed doing it seems to have been misplaced since the buyers accepted the survey. I think the only "bodge" was where the heating pipes to the old boiler went through the worktop and left a huge hole which we draped a tea-towel over also same worktop had a sag where the sink had been cut in I wedged it up level again with half an old clothes peg. Other than that everything has been done to a high standard honest guv
Old Sep 1st 2003, 10:13 am
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

oo thats just reminded me....another confession....

the middle hinge in the back door is missing...i only hope it holds till we move cos we cant get one like it anywhere!!!!.......please god make the door stay on till we give our neighbours the keys!!!!!!..then run!!!!!
Old Sep 1st 2003, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Our toilet handle.

From the day we moved in the house, every time you flushed the chain, the hook would come off the handle if you flushed to hard, so it wouldn't fill up again. Used to have to take the lid off the top of the loo and re position the hook onto the cystern.
Had a prospective buyer come from a long distance, asked if they could use the loo. Hook came off when they flushed.
Husband with soothing words, said that it was a simple job. Went out to his little shed, came back and said that he had fixed it.
Now you have to flush really slowly, but have to pull the handle higher than it is positioned. Takes about 3 goes on average to get the toilet to flush.
Ahhhh men, what would we do without them.

Whisky
Old Sep 1st 2003, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

Amanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really nice

New black handprints detected on hall walls - painted again (3rd) time this weekend.

Plants all dying in front and back garden - need to get out and put more healthy specimens in. Front wall is crumbling and every night another brick becomes dislodged. Paul reckons it is caused by the cats jumping on it - I can but laugh - he has some imagination.
Old Sep 1st 2003, 6:31 pm
Finally made it

Paul and Steph is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like we could start our own tv series here. Hope no prospective buyers are reading!!!

Steph
Old Sep 1st 2003, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

it must be the british sense of humour but i found this thread really funny.
donna
Old Sep 1st 2003, 7:40 pm
Finally made it

Paul and Steph is an unknown quantity at this point

Me too. Ok guys, who's got the worst story to tell?
Old Sep 1st 2003, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Paul and Steph

Probably me, but im not telling till we have that surveyors report back.

Whisky
Old Sep 1st 2003, 8:22 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally posted by Paul and Steph
Does this include the condition i bought the house, or the condition i'm going to sell it in?
Old Sep 1st 2003, 11:39 pm
A soft and furry member

Bluey is an unknown quantity at this point

God, this post makes me feel better. Sold one of the cars to a guy at work a couple of weeks ago, and the bonnet catch broke. Also sold our tent to one of the gals at work, one of the poles broke and two of the pole holders tore off the tent. I wasn't exactly Mr. Popular.
Old Sep 1st 2003, 11:44 pm
A soft and furry member

Bluey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Bluey
God, this post makes me feel better. Sold one of the cars to a guy at work a couple of weeks ago, and the bonnet catch broke. Also sold our tent to one of the gals at work, one of the poles broke and two of the pole holders tore off the tent. I wasn't exactly Mr. Popular.

Should also add that our house is sold, and the kitchen blind fell down on Sunday night. The lady buying it from us has also bought most of our furniture, (expensive)TV and Video. Which was fine until last Friday when the missus (Jaz) switched on the telly to find it didn't work. After much panic she discovered that it was the local transmitter that had broken

The moral is, dont sell things to people you know, and when you've sold your house, stay out of it.
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth now Sunny Florida, heading for Perth
WannabeWallaby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by donna
it must be the british sense of humour but i found this thread really funny.
donna

I have been giggling away over this thread! Oh the joys of home ownership!

I too admit to draping the tea towel on the countertop to cover the scratched paintwork on the cupboard doors (and, true to form, we don't have any matching paint left over). Our buyers have also mentioned buying a lot of the furniture but haven't confirmed yet.......this means that everything will explode as soon as they do! The trusty second hand microwave decided to go "bang" a couple of weeks ago so we had to fork out for another and when hubby removed the old one, lo and behold the whole corner of the countertop had sagged about an inch behind it so he had to get out the polyfiller and we just hope they buy the bloody microwave otherwise its gonna look a bit obvious!

Our guest bathroom tub had a respray by the previous owner that has flaked off bit by bit over the years and so hubbys weekend project has been bodging (sorry respraying) it with appliance paint to avoid costly professional tub spraying. And the tap leaks like a government mole.......10 gallons a day!

Trouble is we don't exchange until November, a lot more can go wrong until then i.e. Hurricane Fabian is heading towards Bermuda as we speak - you just know its heading for my house!

Good luck to all

Wannabe Wallaby
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Amanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really nice

I hadn't really considered the amount of dodgy marks etc we have covered up as a matter of course without thinking. Hearing that this is a common occurance I am feeling much less guilty.

I have covered the white wine stain on the black marble fireplace with an enormous wooden cat statue. A new cream mat looks lovely in the bathroom but hides several unsightly water stains on the beige carpet. We have moved our dining room round to cover up food stains deposited by our boy monkey from his highchair - nothing has successfully removed them. I hang a dishcloth over one of the kitchen cupboard doors that has peeling paint due to the heat of the dishwasher. We have constructed a gazebo on our patio in front of the bowing bricks above the patio doors. We leave our garage door open as it does not shut properly.

I now feel cleansed and can relax knowing that I have confessed all my deceiptful actions!
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

You sure none of you lot sole a house in Surrey to a nice couple with a 2 year old

P.S. Good day today nothing broke!!!
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 9:58 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Originally posted by scutterUK
Does this include the condition i bought the house, or the condition i'm going to sell it in?

Our house is OK (thanks to hubby) but the last viewer only came to see what inovations could be done to the standard model house which they were going to bid for in the next street!!!!!! quite a lot cheaper of course as it needs everything done to it:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.