Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

House buying (WA) and Health care info

House buying (WA) and Health care info

Old Jun 28th 2005, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

AliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant future
Default House buying (WA) and Health care info

I didn't realise before coming to WA that the usual way of purchasing a house is to use the selling agent. They draw up the contract. They are therefore acting for both the seller and the purchaser. We thought this was a bit of a conflict of interest so we used a buyers advocate (still unusual in WA but becoming more popular). It costs a percentage of the house price but today I realised we made the right choice. Our agent drew up the contract and he ensured there were various clauses to protect our interests. He will go through the property to do a pre settlement check (air con, plumbing, electrics etc) prior to settlement. I thought this was standard but a friend who has just bought a house through the sellers agent discovered today that the contract he wrote for them doesn't have a presettlement check included. If there is anything in her house that doesn't work its tough! She's furious. Imagine if the air con doesn't work?

So however you buy your house I guess you need to check that you have this protection in your contract and don't trust the selling agent!!!.

perhaps another bit of useful info if you are pondering health care is that one fund (HCF) has waived its 2 and 6 month waiting periods until 30th June. This fund seems to have a good reputation and I'm pleased so far as this has allowed me to get contact lenses and pay for my daughter's dental treatment already.

Ali
Old Jun 28th 2005, 2:28 pm
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: House buying (WA) and Health care info

Originally Posted by AliMay
I didn't realise before coming to WA that the usual way of purchasing a house is to use the selling agent. They draw up the contract. They are therefore acting for both the seller and the purchaser. We thought this was a bit of a conflict of interest so we used a buyers advocate (still unusual in WA but becoming more popular). It costs a percentage of the house price but today I realised we made the right choice. Our agent drew up the contract and he ensured there were various clauses to protect our interests. He will go through the property to do a pre settlement check (air con, plumbing, electrics etc) prior to settlement. I thought this was standard but a friend who has just bought a house through the sellers agent discovered today that the contract he wrote for them doesn't have a presettlement check included. If there is anything in her house that doesn't work its tough! She's furious. Imagine if the air con doesn't work?

So however you buy your house I guess you need to check that you have this protection in your contract and don't trust the selling agent!!!.

perhaps another bit of useful info if you are pondering health care is that one fund (HCF) has waived its 2 and 6 month waiting periods until 30th June. This fund seems to have a good reputation and I'm pleased so far as this has allowed me to get contact lenses and pay for my daughter's dental treatment already.

Ali
The best way (IMO) is to use apoint settlement agent (they do not work on percentage, fee only typically $750-$1200) who will draw up contract etc, then get a survey ($300)(rare here) get termite/vermin inspection ($200)etc
All done then except for mortgage fees if applicable, Shire fees and stamp duty. Don't forget to apply for first home owners grant (if applicable)

Interested in your health care info is it on website?

Paul J
Old Jun 28th 2005, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

AliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant future
Default Re: House buying (WA) and Health care info

Originally Posted by Jacko1
The best way (IMO) is to use apoint settlement agent (they do not work on percentage, fee only typically $750-$1200) who will draw up contract etc, then get a survey ($300)(rare here) get termite/vermin inspection ($200)etc
All done then except for mortgage fees if applicable, Shire fees and stamp duty. Don't forget to apply for first home owners grant (if applicable)

Interested in your health care info is it on website?

Paul J

Hi there
Health care www.hcf.com.au

I take your point re settlement agent not charging fees but I expect they do not negotiate for you. We ended up negotiating over a period of 3 nerve wracking weeks.

Ali