House Buying UK

Old Sep 14th 2005, 11:20 am
G'day Sport

Rick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of light
Default House Buying UK

Hi Guys

Just after a bit of advice.
Me and my fiancee are wanting to move to Melbourne but I have 2 years until I finish my accountancy qualification. So we are looking at buying a house as this seems like a better option to renting. This will help prove that we are a couple when we eventually come to apply for our visa.

Any thoughts anyone.
Should we buy or rent?

Cheers Rick
Old Sep 14th 2005, 11:55 am
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice
Default Re: House Buying UK

Originally Posted by Rick C
Hi Guys

Me and my fiancee are wanting to move to Melbourne but I have 2 years until I finish my accountancy qualification. So we are looking at buying a house as this seems like a better option to renting. This will help prove that we are a couple when we eventually come to apply for our visa.

Any thoughts anyone.
Should we buy or rent?

Cheers Rick
I would say rent with a joint rent book rather than buy....But Ibase this on the hassle Ive had selling my house and having to wait to go after getting my visa...
Old Sep 14th 2005, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Have a look at this
http://property.timesonline.co.uk/ar...3282_1,00.html
Old Sep 14th 2005, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

unless you get yourself a real bargain i would be vary wary or buying at the moment, it is unlikely to make you any money in the near future. Also depending on your timeline it would be a lot of hassle to buy a home and sell a home within a few years and a lot of costs. A lot of people are struggling to sell their homes at the moment which could be a real hindrance when your ready to go to Australia
Old Sep 14th 2005, 4:31 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peppi
I would say rent with a joint rent book rather than buy....But Ibase this on the hassle Ive had selling my house and having to wait to go after getting my visa...
Yes, I agree with Peppi - Selling my house has been an absolute nightmare with no real resolution in sight. I was hoping to fly out in the early weeks of July, however, my house sale is still nowhere near completing.

I imagine that if you tot up all the associated costs (solicitors, surveys, agents fees, mortgage arrangement and early escape fees etc) involved in buying and selling a house in such a short time span, you will probably find that you will be spending two years worth of rent anyway. Factor in the fact that house prices have been consistently sliding for several months now, and that the UK seems to be teetering on the verge of a technical recession, then you may loose money on a house, and end up in a negative equity situation, where you can't afford to leave the country because your house sale hasn't paid off your mortgage.

I would think very seriously about taking out such a short mortgage at the moment, particularly if you want to go abroad.

S
Old Sep 14th 2005, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevinm will become famous soon enoughkevinm will become famous soon enough

If its only for 2 years id go for renting.
The fees you would have to shell out would be thousands obvioulsy depends on size of house, but just a few would be stamp duty, legal fees x2, moving fees (if any) and estate agents fees when selling.
Also trying to find a buyer to fit in your time scale.
The price of moving and selling a 150k house would cost you at least 3.5k
3.5k would pay quite a few months rent.
Also like mentioned before house prices are bit dodgy at the moment.
Old Sep 14th 2005, 5:56 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

I'd buy deffo! .........

and!! ...... I have just the house your looking for! ...

Nice 3 bed in ever so sunny Watford!

pm for the details! ...

Seriously tho, I'd rent for sure! As others have said many have their house on the market now and goin nowhere fast! ...
Old Sep 15th 2005, 6:38 am
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold

We have a 6 bed detached-475,000 if you are interested.

We live in Potton in Bedfordshire

Rob

Originally Posted by Rick C
Hi Guys

Any thoughts anyone.
Should we buy or rent?

Cheers Rick
Old Sep 15th 2005, 6:47 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Hi good luck,

I lived in Manchester and now live in Melbourne. Moved here 2 years ago and we are renting our Manchester house out as it is coming up to winter in the UK and don't want a empty house...pipes freezing-up etc.

Recommend renting so you are not in our situ, trying to sell a house when you are overseas!!

The house prices are not moving a great deal are they at the mo? By the time you've found a house, paid out fees, sold the house, paid out fees etc. I'm sure you'd be better off just renting.

What area of Manchester?

Louise
Old Sep 15th 2005, 9:07 am
G'day Sport

Rick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=ljj]Hi good luck,

I lived in Manchester and now live in Melbourne. Moved here 2 years ago and we are renting our Manchester house out as it is coming up to winter in the UK and don't want a empty house...pipes freezing-up etc.

Recommend renting so you are not in our situ, trying to sell a house when you are overseas!!

The house prices are not moving a great deal are they at the mo? By the time you've found a house, paid out fees, sold the house, paid out fees etc. I'm sure you'd be better off just renting.

What area of Manchester?

Louise[/QUOTE

At the moment I live in sale with my dad but me and my fiancee are looking at buying in Openshaw for maybe £50k a doing it up a bit and then sell it on.
Its one of the next areas to be regenerated so hopefully when we come to sell the house will have grown in value.
Thanks for all the replies given me something to think about.
Keep the replies coming
Old Sep 16th 2005, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

For 2 years I wouls also say rent. Even on a £50 k house you would have possibly £2k in buying then £2k selling costs (solicitors, surveyors, estate agents etc.) and I don't think the housing market is going to be heading up rapidly in the next couple of years and by the time you allow a few motnhs to find and purchase the property of your choice and then another few months selling it you won't have much time in it to enjpy it.

From what I have read doing up properties is no longer really a way to make money since following all the DIY programmes in the UK people are often spendng more on a property then the material costs to do it up that they would have if they just bought one recently done up plus you get to spend weekends working on your house rather than enjoying the UK ofr the time you have left in it.

You'd probably be better off renting a property together (giving you the proof of relationship to the same level as buying just get as much as possible in joint names) and putting your deposit and any other savings in high interest saving accounts and cash ISA's.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 10:41 am

merlotsmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Rent, rent and rent.

We have been closely following the UK market for a home but the prices are continually coming down in our area. The First Time Buyer 2 bed apartment/houses have been reduced by as much as £25k in 6 months and still not selling.

Our plan is when we return to Oz and we have bought we will rent it out.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Storini will become famous soon enoughStorini will become famous soon enough

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/
House Price Crash.co.uk - Will there be a House Price Crash?
Old Sep 16th 2005, 11:44 am

merlotsmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Storini
http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/
House Price Crash.co.uk - Will there be a House Price Crash?
A long needed correction, I am on my gut feel with buying and the time is not right, too many nerves around and houses up for sale for too long.

I will bide my time and if the bolier blows up in the rented house I am in, it is NOT my problem or financial burden
Old Sep 16th 2005, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

hawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of light

If you bought now you'd have to put it staright back on the market, drop the price you paid for it by about 25%, and you might just find a buyer by the time you were ready to go, the way things are going in the uK at the moment