Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

house buying must haves...

house buying must haves...

Old Feb 16th 2004, 5:13 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice
Default house buying must haves...

In view of your current high temps out there...when looking to buy a house, how important would you rate having a pool to come home to after work...do most people just go down to the beach for instance..
Air con I assume would be pretty high on the "must have " list too but does that cost a arm n leg to run and if so are the costs worth the benefit...
Are the savings great for having solar heated water thingy on the roof as well I wondered..
these are all things that seem to be "added extras" with added price bracket...
But how important are they...please..in your been there lived it opinions...
Ta
Old Feb 16th 2004, 5:21 pm
Gary / Terri

Gary / Terri is on a distinguished road
Default Re: house buying must haves...

Peppi
I don't live there but my parents do and my brother does, so I feel qualified to answer your question as I have also ben there for a month over xmas as well, the air con is a must, just look at it as the opposite of central heating...you may need this as well in some areas as it can chill dwn sometimes so a reverse cycle aircon is great as it serves both purposes, solar on the roof..well don' think this is a must at all not many of those about. A pool, well this depends where you live and what you want, most houses near to the beach don't have pools as they can use the sea, but inland many have pools just to cool off in and if you have kids to have parties in and around with the BBQ. Also the pool is instant and private, no need to get packed up for a trip to the beach everytime you fancy a swim....hope that helps

G&T
Old Feb 16th 2004, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by peppi
In view of your current high temps out there...when looking to buy a house, how important would you rate having a pool to come home to after work...do most people just go down to the beach for instance..
Air con I assume would be pretty high on the "must have " list too but does that cost a arm n leg to run and if so are the costs worth the benefit...
Are the savings great for having solar heated water thingy on the roof as well I wondered..
Ta
where are you thinking of going in Oz? Your choice of location will influence a lot whether you 'need' (or get) a pool, air con, etc. E.g. Melbourne - I don't know many people in Melbourne with a pool; you wouldn't use it for 7 months of the year (unless heated), and you need a permit to fill it due to water restrictions. You also need a property with enough space to accomodate a pool - you may find that in older suburbs, the houses haven't been build with pools in mind.

We had no air con - got by OK with a fan. It would have been nice for the 35+ degree days (and humid nights) but since the houses are designed to stay cool and not retain heat, we found it ok without. On the other hand, we use central heating for about 8 months of the year - the house would be colder than the outside temp.

I have family 500km inland from Melbourne - no pool (altho their property backs onto the river), definately need air con as temps in high 40s all summer and they use solar power. Heating is a must there also as temps drops below zero at night in winter.

So I guess a lot of it will depend on where you are planning to live.
Old Feb 16th 2004, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Ta
You don't say where you are going and that makes one hell of a difference, a lot more people have a/c in QLD than in Tasmania same goes for pools.
Old Feb 16th 2004, 11:21 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Ta
I can answer a bit for Eastern Suburbs Sydney. I live 5 mins walk from the beach and I often pop down for a cool down. Air con is not a must have and is only essential 2 weeks of the year. Reverse cycle would be handy for heating about a month of the year. The rest of the time we have the windows open.

If I lived further inland out of the sea breeze where temps can be up to 5C hotter I would get air con.

Waterside living does attract a premium.
Old Feb 16th 2004, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

As people have already said, it really depends where you are living.

I was 6 months in Canberra, and there it can get down to -8 at night in winter. Even in a more coastal climate (newcastle NSW) it got cold at night. Compared to the UK with all its central heating, draftproofing etc etc, a standard aussie house can feel pretty cold during the winter nights

Also in summer 38 degrees with 10% humidity (in an inland area) is very bearable, 30 degrees and 90% humidity (a coastal area) is just plain torture!
Old Feb 17th 2004, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

NJFOZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
E.g. Melbourne - I don't know many people in Melbourne with a pool; you wouldn't use it for 7 months of the year (unless heated), and you need a permit to fill it due to water restrictions.

Every second house around me has a pool and we are close to the beach in Melbourne. If you want to use your pool make sure it is heated. We have air con and a ducted heating/cooling system. The air con has only been used in anger a couple of times (i.e. last weekend when it was 40 plus). The design of the house has a huge impact on the need for air con. Our house is well shaded against the sun so remains fairly cool, next door has a flat roof and lots of glass so it heats up like a glass house.

As others have said it all depends on where you live (and how you want to live.)
Old Feb 17th 2004, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Hi Peppi

We have a pool but no aircon. We get a bit of sea breeze and that is usually enough to keep things comfortable (ish) - except last night - God that was awful.

Anyway I digress... The pool was on our list of must haves mainly for the kids to enjoy but it really is a god send to go in straight after work and cool off. We are only up the road from the beach but tend to use the pool more purley because of it's convenience.

We thought about having aircon when we moved in a year ago but we have decided that we don't need it.

Diane
Old Feb 17th 2004, 1:38 am
Just Joined

ssmith is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by DianeOZ
Hi Peppi

We have a pool but no aircon. We get a bit of sea breeze and that is usually enough to keep things comfortable (ish) - except last night - God that was awful.

Anyway I digress... The pool was on our list of must haves mainly for the kids to enjoy but it really is a god send to go in straight after work and cool off. We are only up the road from the beach but tend to use the pool more purley because of it's convenience.

We thought about having aircon when we moved in a year ago but we have decided that we don't need it.

Diane

We also have a pool and no aircon. We live 5 minutes from beach and seabreeze cools house except for last few days when it felt like a giant fan heater blowing through window
Seabreeze is excellent normally but I think if we didnt have pool we would prob have air con installed. The pool is great for cooling off but doesnt help with heat in house, this is where seabreeze is good.
But as everyone says it really depends on where you live.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

Carol in Oz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Peppi
Live 1 hr sw Sydney and managed without air con for 25 yrs. Since getting the air con 4 yrs ago I never want to be without it! Last week with the high temps and humidity so high it felt like sitting in the jungle the air con came in handy! Have reverse cycle because gets cold out here in winter, down to 5 celsius and under.
Dont have a pool, couldnt be bothered with the up keep of one, but my neighbours over the back both have one and the kids have a great time out there.
Carol
Old Feb 17th 2004, 6:36 am
Just Joined

ssmith is an unknown quantity at this point

Ta
Had 3 hour power cut today. So aircon would have been of no use. Too hot to walk to beach even though its only a 10 minute stroll, so pool was essential today. Had more power cuts here in Perth in 2 years than we had in a lifetime in UK.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 6:41 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ssmith
Had more power cuts here in Perth in 2 years than we had in a lifetime in UK.
Obviously too young to remember the Ted Heath/ Jim Callaghan years, then.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NJFOZ
Every second house around me has a pool and we are close to the beach in Melbourne.
Yes, and you also live in THE most expensive Bayside suburb!!!
Old Feb 17th 2004, 7:10 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

I need air con NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'am melting and after last nigths heat I'am dog tired!!

We had a pool when we first arrived and could only use it for about 4 weeks before it got to cold to use. So we thought we wouldn't get a house with one. Now I would kill for one!!!
Old Feb 17th 2004, 2:49 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice
Default thanx very much

for all your replies..Sorry I forgot to say we are intending to go to the perth area..which I think has a fare sea breeze most of the time
I think from what you have all said the air con is a go-a..the pool not a must but nice to have..I think due to pretty good prices around the perth suburbs maybe I can buy house with room out back to put the pool..at a later date if I want. When I enquired as to a rough cost of putting one in I was told about $15,000...would you say that is a fare guess-ti-mate...? Most of the places only seem to be about 10 mins from a beach in and around that area,but I take the point about the privacy and lack of hassle of going out again after work..
All the hubby seems to be interested in at the moment is wether it has a big work shop with power..Seemed a fairly common place extra around those parts as we walked around and looking on the estate agent sites..anyways thanx again for all you replies

Peppi