Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

House -Building Insurance Level ?

House -Building Insurance Level ?

Old Nov 8th 2010, 1:42 pm

lancastrian48 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default House -Building Insurance Level ?

If you have built a house for say 230k and it's worth say 530 k, how much should you insure the building for ?
I assume it would cost more to rebuild if a tornado blew it down ?

Old Nov 8th 2010, 1:47 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House -Building Insurance Level ?

Originally Posted by lancastrian48
If you have built a house for say 230k and it's worth say 530 k, how much should you insure the building for ?
I assume it would cost more to rebuild if a tornado blew it down ?

I think generally replacement cost is the total value of the property less the value of the land.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 9:18 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
I think generally replacement cost is the total value of the property less the value of the land.
I've heard that argument many times in the U.K with insurance companies.
We carried out insurance work & often found that after the initial call out to make the building safe the insurance company had refused to pay out further claims as the homeowner was under insured.
If you own the house & land & your land value is say 200 k with a 300k house on it then no matter what happens to the house you'll still have the land. That's not the case, if your house is valued at 500k inc the land & you insure for 300k your under insured.
The general excuse was that if the home was a total loss i.e structurally unsafe following a fire then the cost of clearing the site would not be covered by the new build price.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 10:00 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

work it out on $1500 to 2000/square-metre. depending on fittings.Add 7% if your in Perth and another 20% if it's a difficult site.Put on $10,000 for demolition and removal
Old Nov 8th 2010, 10:06 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukecadet
work it out on $1500 to 2000/square-metre. depending on fittings.Add 7% if your in Perth and another 20% if it's a difficult site.Put on $10,000 for demolition and removal
$10,000 for demolition and removal
Old Nov 8th 2010, 10:10 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by asprilla
$10,000 for demolition and removal
If the old place is knackered by fire,storm or whatever you have to get rid of it don't you? or would you like me to build on top of it.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 7:20 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by cresta57
I've heard that argument many times in the U.K with insurance companies.
We carried out insurance work & often found that after the initial call out to make the building safe the insurance company had refused to pay out further claims as the homeowner was under insured.
If you own the house & land & your land value is say 200 k with a 300k house on it then no matter what happens to the house you'll still have the land. That's not the case, if your house is valued at 500k inc the land & you insure for 300k your under insured.
The general excuse was that if the home was a total loss i.e structurally unsafe following a fire then the cost of clearing the site would not be covered by the new build price.
That's correct in the UK, but I was surprised to find that Insurers here do not include the land value in the required insured sum. All they require is the demolition and rebuild costs.

However, to play safe AAMI do not require a value, they just cover you

Building Insurance with Complete Replacement Cover
AAMI's Building Insurance with Complete Replacement Cover means that you never have to worry about whether the limit of your home insurance sum insured is enough, ever again.
And for anyone wondering how they work out the premium, they just do, without asking any values. I just did a quick quote check to see

Old Nov 9th 2010, 7:38 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
That's correct in the UK, but I was surprised to find that Insurers here do not include the land value in the required insured sum. All they require is the demolition and rebuild costs.

However, to play safe AAMI do not require a value, they just cover you

And for anyone wondering how they work out the premium, they just do, without asking any values. I just did a quick quote check to see
That's good news mate
We worked for two major insurers in the U.K & both used the same line "sorry but your under insured"
I don't think 10k would cover demolition & removal of a full house inc slab. A woman just next to us was recently charged 30k just to demolish a houseboat
Old Nov 9th 2010, 8:09 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: House -Building Insurance Level ?

Originally Posted by cresta57
I don't think 10k would cover demolition & removal of a full house inc slab.
$10k is the normal price for demolition and removal of an old house on stumps, in Melbourne anyway.

BB
Old Nov 9th 2010, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
$10k is the normal price for demolition and removal of an old house on stumps, in Melbourne anyway.

BB
Agreed on stumps, no problem, a day's work with an excavator & it's done. Brick on slab & there's 3 times the work & 3 times the waste materials.
I taken mid terrace houses down to zero a few times, interesting experience. Over a week each time, brick by brick, salvaging enough face bricks for rebuilding the fronts. Very labour intensive & very expensive. We had to underpin the homes either side on a couple.