Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

House building firms

House building firms

Old Sep 26th 2004, 10:48 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of
Default House building firms

Has anyone built their own house in Perth?

I'd grateful if anyone can recommend a good house builder.
Old Sep 26th 2004, 11:15 am
Go Banana's !!

Default Re: House building firms

Originally Posted by SunshineGirl
Has anyone built their own house in Perth?

I'd grateful if anyone can recommend a good house builder.

OOO now there's a question. Really you are best asking the locals.

We are building with Novus and I have watched several houses go up in the last few months by them and asked the owners and they seem pretty pleased. I have been very impressed so far. They are independant and alot smaller than the big boys like Webb Neaves and Brown (who own alot more than you realise and build times with them at mo are 2 years, but they'll tell you different).

Novus only build 30 homes a year and seem to have the individual approach, but ask me in six months time and I could be scream "no!!!". I did do alot of research.

With all of them youi have to really watch the 'hidden' prices, almost everything is an extra. So be very careful when you look at show house to find out exactly what is included.

Stuff that is usually not included:

Laying the tiles on the diagnal
Anything above a 300 x 300 mm tile they charge extra labour for !!!
All the show house built in cupboards
Anything above the builders choice of tiles (which happen to be the decent ones!- the builders choice is usually something ya Granny would 'ave)
Skirting boards
Aircon
Flooring apart from the (bathroom, WC and laundry)
Lighting, they only put the connection in not even spots.
Extra sockets (usually only get one double per rom - some only offer a single)
If you decide you want to get the tiles yourself they minus the profit and the grout and give you the difference back !! it's a scandle but every builder does it.
You only get driveway to the end of your boundary
Walling
Some don't include the painting of the walls!!

The list goes on and on. Just be very very careful. I am now genuinely thinking of preparing some literature on this, so others don't get caught out. Even my builder has been impressed how much I have ferreted out of him.

Now here's for the real scary bit. Whatever the basic build price is add $50,000 at least for your extras (carpets, floor tiling or wood flooring etc, blinds (a must), aircon, (a must) landscaping, reticulation, garden paving, alfresco area, if you want a pool add another $20,000, fencing. Then add another $5,000 for ground works)..............

Go into every last little detail BEFORE YOU SIGN donot wait 'til the pre-start meeting 'cos that's were they get you, when they show you all the goodies which are not included.

Please please be very careful ! I'm now off to write my book
Jill

Old Sep 26th 2004, 11:36 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!
With all of them youi have to really watch the 'hidden' prices, almost everything is an extra. So be very careful when you look at show house to find out exactly what is included.

Jill
Good post Jill,
Can I add that painting usually only includes 1 colour throughout on the walls ditto the ceilings. The Electrician's will usually sting you an hour labour for putting up each fan/light. Beware the external works as well, paths around the house and driveways are usual extras.
Old Sep 26th 2004, 1:49 pm
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!
OOO now there's a question. Really you are best asking the locals.

We are building with Novus and I have watched several houses go up in the last few months by them and asked the owners and they seem pretty pleased. I have been very impressed so far. They are independant and alot smaller than the big boys like Webb Neaves and Brown (who own alot more than you realise and build times with them at mo are 2 years, but they'll tell you different).

Novus only build 30 homes a year and seem to have the individual approach, but ask me in six months time and I could be scream "no!!!". I did do alot of research.

Laying the tiles on the diagnal
Anything above a 300 x 300 mm tile they charge extra labour for !!!
All the show house built in cupboards
Anything above the builders choice of tiles (which happen to be the decent ones!- the builders choice is usually something ya Granny would 'ave)
Skirting boards
Aircon
Flooring apart from the (bathroom, WC and laundry)
Lighting, they only put the connection in not even spots.
Extra sockets (usually only get one double per rom - some only offer a single)
If you decide you want to get the tiles yourself they minus the profit and the grout and give you the difference back !! it's a scandle but every builder does it.
You only get driveway to the end of your boundary
Walling
Some don't include the painting of the walls!!

The list goes on and on. Just be very very careful. I am now genuinely thinking of preparing some literature on this, so others don't get caught out. Even my builder has been impressed how much I have ferreted out of him.

Now here's for the real scary bit. Whatever the basic build price is add $50,000 at least for your extras (carpets, floor tiling or wood flooring etc, blinds (a must), aircon, (a must) landscaping, reticulation, garden paving, alfresco area, if you want a pool add another $20,000, fencing. Then add another $5,000 for ground works)..............

Go into every last little detail BEFORE YOU SIGN donot wait 'til the pre-start meeting 'cos that's were they get you, when they show you all the goodies which are not included.

Jill
Jill,

Thanks for that. It'll be a year or so before we even think about it so hopefully I'll have enough time to do some serious research. We're not planning to move out to Perth permanently until late next year though a validation trip (and a further research trip or two!) are on the cards for early next year.

Of course, if you've finished your book by then I could read that!

Either that or you'll have to start taking commissions ...