British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   House building costs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/house-building-costs-427191/)

Wol Feb 17th 2007 9:25 am

Re: House building costs

Originally Posted by thebears (Post 4414164)
We are at the early stages of our house costing - we are doing a detail build cost rather than rough estimate.

Currently the cost is $750K for 1110 square metres
Basement 390
Ground Floor 300
First Floor 210
2nd Floor 210

We are working through by talking with each area ie
Excavation
Foundation (concrete supplier)
Bricklayer (materials & labour)
Electrician (rough & fitting)
Plumber (rough & fitting)
Roofer
Builder (floors, internal walls, frame etc)

God - that's bigger than some small European principalities!

jayjd12 Feb 17th 2007 9:32 am

Originally Posted by sassie (Post 4413679)
Hi, we've just built a home in Queensland (30 squares, which is 300sm) and contract price came to just over $200,000, so thats well under $1,000 per square metre. Bearing in mind though that there were a lot of extras on top which we chose to include, and of course doesn't include fencing, landscaping, etc.

Hiya sassie, do you mind me asking who that is with? Is it single or double storey?

Are you in Brissie?

Cheers
Jay

sassie Feb 17th 2007 10:43 am

Originally Posted by jayjd12 (Post 4415365)
Hiya sassie, do you mind me asking who that is with? Is it single or double storey?

Are you in Brissie?

Cheers
Jay

Hi Jay. We built with Richards Homes on the Gold Coast, and we found them to be very good. It's a single story. If you do a search on here under my user name, I've posted loads of pictures. Anymore questions, ask away. We're just south of Brissie at Ormeau. Halfway between Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

Regards

Gina

chilli Feb 17th 2007 11:52 am

Originally Posted by thebears (Post 4414164)
We are at the early stages of our house costing - we are doing a detail build cost rather than rough estimate.

Currently the cost is $750K for 1110 square metres
Basement 390
Ground Floor 300
First Floor 210
2nd Floor 210

We are working through by talking with each area ie
Excavation
Foundation (concrete supplier)
Bricklayer (materials & labour)
Electrician (rough & fitting)
Plumber (rough & fitting)
Roofer
Builder (floors, internal walls, frame etc)

allow for a 'fill in man'..
the man who links the trades together and makes things run smooth..
im a bricklayer but i cut' the roof timbers on most small jobs because a roofing carpenter is quite hard to find..
trade overlap causes conflict.. all trades left unchecked, will not allow for the following trade unless they know them..

i call myself a builder because i will do the overlap role on a small site..
i prefer it rather than doing the same day after day..

you're a lucky sod mr bears..
good luck with it :)

jayjd12 Feb 17th 2007 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by sassie (Post 4415505)
Hi Jay. We built with Richards Homes on the Gold Coast, and we found them to be very good. It's a single story. If you do a search on here under my user name, I've posted loads of pictures. Anymore questions, ask away. We're just south of Brissie at Ormeau. Halfway between Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

Regards

Gina

Cheers Gina:)

andy1469 Feb 17th 2007 3:29 pm

it seems the cost of building is pretty high (for me anyway)
is it possible to build your self? or is there alot more red tape involved?

Shaun&Dee Feb 22nd 2007 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by thebears (Post 4415227)
Gunroom

Blimey... are you Joyn Wayne !!!

farrierswife Feb 22nd 2007 6:38 pm

[QUOTE=thebears;4415227]Guest Suite
Master Suite
4 additional bedrooms
2 family bathrooms
Snooker Room
Entertainment Room
Formal Lounge
Informal family room
Kitchen
Basement/Garage
Gunroom
Office (not a single bedroom study)
Laundry (including downstairs bathroom with immediate access to outside pool - ie changing room for guests)
Pantry

would love to see the plans/pictures thebears as this is the sort of size house we need, we want to build and the not have to move on again
regards
helen

Wol Feb 22nd 2007 11:13 pm

Our build is just over $2k per sq.m - thank God it isn't the size of the one above <g> - excluding garden, driveway, fencing etc. Considering the spec and the footing costs it isn't exorbitant.

youngy73 Feb 23rd 2007 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Wol (Post 4443820)
Our build is just over $2k per sq.m - thank God it isn't the size of the one above <g> - excluding garden, driveway, fencing etc. Considering the spec and the footing costs it isn't exorbitant.

2k a sqm. you must have really top end fixtures and fittings mr wol.

Wol Feb 23rd 2007 8:55 am

The only bit that's really blown the budget is the kitchen, bathrooms etc units. Everything else is reasonably close to our estimates.

The sloping site meant big bucks on the concrete etc - there's enough down there to hold up Fort Knox, and worth about the same <g>.

The sort of thing that causes overspend is the BASIX rules - these change the baseline on the fly. We spent yesterday trying to find "acceptable" lighting units to comply with the BASIX certificate, and have had to replace 44 ceiling downlights with just-off-the-shelf mini-fluorescent bulbs at $20 each FOR THE GLOBES! So that's another $880 for the globes plus another 44 x $7 for the 240v connectors - it all adds up...

Our spec also includes top insulation and internal acoustic insulation - all stuff which isn't immediately apparent but does make a house more liveable. We've had enough of freezing to death every winter!

youngy73 Feb 23rd 2007 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Wol (Post 4445217)
The only bit that's really blown the budget is the kitchen, bathrooms etc units. Everything else is reasonably close to our estimates.

The sloping site meant big bucks on the concrete etc - there's enough down there to hold up Fort Knox, and worth about the same <g>.

The sort of thing that causes overspend is the BASIX rules - these change the baseline on the fly. We spent yesterday trying to find "acceptable" lighting units to comply with the BASIX certificate, and have had to replace 44 ceiling downlights with just-off-the-shelf mini-fluorescent bulbs at $20 each FOR THE GLOBES! So that's another $880 for the globes plus another 44 x $7 for the 240v connectors - it all adds up...

Our spec also includes top insulation and internal acoustic insulation - all stuff which isn't immediately apparent but does make a house more liveable. We've had enough of freezing to death every winter!

the internal acouistic insulation is a must if you have stud walls. we didnt bother even though the old man told me to do it ( the boy knows best) and i wish now id spend the extra and done it. noise just travels thru the rooms especially when the surround sound is going.id never lived in a house with stud walls before and the insulation would havbe been well worth it. im a spark and there are ways around the energy efficiency stuff. to late now for you but it can be done. in QLD now 40% of all your lighting has to be fluros. only place they belong is in the garage.

Wol Feb 23rd 2007 9:28 am

The builder says that he always puts it in around theatres and loos - in the latter case to stop the flushing noises coming through - and others, but we don't need to go there <g>.

thebears Feb 23rd 2007 9:38 am

[QUOTE=farrierswife;4442903]

Originally Posted by thebears (Post 4415227)
Guest Suite

would love to see the plans/pictures thebears as this is the sort of size house we need, we want to build and the not have to move on again
regards
helen

Just sent you an email helen

ray2gill Feb 23rd 2007 11:39 am

[QUOTE=youngy73;4445248]the internal acouistic insulation is a must if you have stud walls. ]

Hi Youngy73. So what sort of wall insulation should we be looking at. Our spec says R 2.5 ceiling insulation (except external roof areas) but nothing for walls.

Why do they insulate immediately under the roofing and not above the ceiling? I can understand this in the summer as the heat rises into the roof space, but it also means that in the winter you lose all your heating or warmth there also.

Any advise would be appreciated, as only used to dealing with solid block walls.