Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hottest December day in 30 years (Perth)

Hottest December day in 30 years (Perth)

Old Dec 14th 2004, 12:09 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Hottest December day in 30 years (Perth)

41.5 degrees celsius.

Argh.

So, you guys remember how my aircon in the car was broken. And I had it fixed last week for about $1000 (2 weeks wages). Well, it broke again a day later... and couldn't bring it in till tomorrow
So, seeing as it was already 29 degrees when I drove to work at 8.30 this morning, I arrived sweating.

I hope all you ladies of leisure in Perth are enjoying your pools, and airconned homes and cars

I am now still sweating, seeing it doesn't really help, and old house, thick walls. When it gets this hot.. the house is hot too. Cheap $15 fans from WA Salvage help though.

It's alright actually, spent nearly all day at work in the aircon. Hope it doesn't get this hot when Pascal's parents are here and we go on holiday, cos you can't do hardly anything. Probably not though, usually waits till Febuary.

karma please ;-)
Old Dec 14th 2004, 12:13 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hottest December day in 30 years (Perth)

Btw, I'd like this oppertunity to show you all our christmas tree.
It's an Albany Woolybush
It's a native shrub.
Will do well in the backyard, not much rain needed and can have sun.
Even has tiny red flowers.
And if you run out of toilet paper.... the aboriginals used this as it. It's nice and soft, lol!!
Old Dec 14th 2004, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

ahh thats sweet Simone......umm toilet paper......have you tried it then..lol!!! at least its recyclable.......

yes I had a house full of Ladies of Leisure today, only here for the air con and inflatable!!....armed with babies...... :scared: no doubt you will be one soon

Teresa x
Old Dec 14th 2004, 12:37 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally Posted by Swifts
ahh thats sweet Simone......umm toilet paper......have you tried it then..lol!!! at least its recyclable.......

yes I had a house full of Ladies of Leisure today, only here for the air con and inflatable!!....armed with babies...... :scared : no doubt you will be one soon :-D

Teresa x
lol! No!
A few years yet before I can afford aircon and especially babies!

We did the aboriginal tour thing at Yanchep National Park.
The guy made us guess what it was used for. I first thought soap(there is a similar plant they use as soap), and then after many clue (including that it was the one thing you always forgot when going camping) I got it. And won a knife made of shell, stick, kangaroo poo and ashes from a burnt Blackboy.

P.S. Had I told you yet we got that inflatable too??! Haven't used it yet, will in the holidays though. Now when I get home the suns already nearly behind the houses, and it's cooled down a bit.
Old Dec 14th 2004, 12:42 pm
I AM 1 PERSON-UNDERSTAND?

SherKhan66 will become famous soon enough

Right, so how come its so cold here then?
Maybe your weathers heading over? Fingers crossed for both of us
BTW Cool tree!
Old Dec 14th 2004, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, this hot weather has been difficult. We have no aircon either Simone and the roof isn't insulated, think there might be 4 Pommy turkeys in Joondalup this Christmas! We've got ceiling fans on permanently and remembering to drink gallons of water. Must get down to Clarkes rubber or WA Salvage for a pool for the backyard, but with the shade cloth down we haven't got any shade! Anyhow, might end up hanging out down the mall
Take care
Larissa
PS It's supposed to be cooler for the next few days and then hots up again :scared:
Old Dec 14th 2004, 12:48 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally Posted by SherKhan66
Right, so how come its so cold here then?
Maybe your weathers heading over? Fingers crossed for both of us
BTW Cool tree!
I have no idea where you are, but I know it was 21 in Ballarat today!
That's about half the temperature of Perth, lol!

26 is the nicest temperature I think. Next year when I've acclimatised that'll probably go up a few degrees.

Thanks. The trees nice, but not very strong. That's why it's lopsided. Not the best photo either. And there's no powerpoint there, so wasn't going to have lights, but Pascal constructed some lights in the hallway, and extended that into the tree. Look alright when it's dark....

Last edited by Simone; Dec 14th 2004 at 12:51 pm.
Old Dec 14th 2004, 12:57 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally Posted by Larissa
Yeah, this hot weather has been difficult. We have no aircon either Simone and the roof isn't insulated, think there might be 4 Pommy turkeys in Joondalup this Christmas! We've got ceiling fans on permanently and remembering to drink gallons of water. Must get down to Clarkes rubber or WA Salvage for a pool for the backyard, but with the shade cloth down we haven't got any shade! Anyhow, might end up hanging out down the mall
Take care
Larissa
PS It's supposed to be cooler for the next few days and then hots up again :scared:
Oh that's no good. Pascal's parent coming Tuesday, and going to York for skidiving and lunch Wednesday. And that is inland, so hotter....

We got a nice paddle pool from Toys R Us. Same one as the Swifts have.
Was on sale and only about $40. I think it would fit you 4 in it. Though Simeon is quite tall isn't he?

Yeah, we have to put the shade thing/tent back up. Have to figure out how to secure it first though, last time it blowed over. Someone said cement in the legs, but that's just sooo much work
Old Dec 14th 2004, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simone
Thanks. The trees nice, but not very strong. That's why it's lopsided. Not the best photo either. And there's no powerpoint there, so wasn't going to have lights, but Pascal constructed some lights in the hallway, and extended that into the tree. Look alright when it's dark....
Ahhh its sweet! Plus you won't have to worry about running out of loo roll
Old Dec 14th 2004, 1:26 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

I must be the original ice maiden, no air con needed today, sat outside feet up, cool drink..fab. Watched as Jason and Steve leaped in and out of the pool. Steve was home due to his boss saying no way would he work in 39°.

We seem to be coping very well, may be different when we have more than a couple of hot days together, but all in all am finding it lovely. Even ventured out to Hepburn Heights to see the real estate agent, his office was freezing!

dredding winter here though as I think we will be absolutely freezing. more so than this year.

Jenny
Old Dec 14th 2004, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough

41.5 degrees celsius.

Argh.

So, you guys remember how my aircon in the car was broken. And I had it fixed last week for about $1000 (2 weeks wages). Well, it broke again a day later... and couldn't bring it in till tomorrow
So, seeing as it was already 29 degrees when I drove to work at 8.30 this morning, I arrived sweating.

I hope all you ladies of leisure in Perth are enjoying your pools, and airconned homes and cars

I am now still sweating, seeing it doesn't really help, and old house, thick walls. When it gets this hot.. the house is hot too. Cheap $15 fans from WA Salvage help though.

It's alright actually, spent nearly all day at work in the aircon. Hope it doesn't get this hot when Pascal's parents are here and we go on holiday, cos you can't do hardly anything. Probably not though, usually waits till Febuary.

karma please ;-)

Well my darling mother, went to all the trouble to text me as I was walking through Weston-super-Mare High Street dressed in my huge fluffy fake fur coat, doing my Christmas shopping...

Like last week when similarly rugged up and in the mania in TK Maxx she texted me to say dad had just brought home a load of cray legs for tea!!!

I cannot wait to get over there...just to stop those texts (and my mother) rubbing in how nice it is there compared to here!
Old Dec 14th 2004, 2:24 pm
I AM 1 PERSON-UNDERSTAND?

SherKhan66 will become famous soon enough

I have no idea where you are, but I know it was 21 in Ballarat today!
That's about half the temperature of Perth, lol!

26 is the nicest temperature I think. Next year when I've acclimatised that'll probably go up a few degrees.

Hi
Heading to Melbourne tomorrow(on the road soon). I think the tree is excellent - not a fan of Xmas myself but fair dinkum to ya!

You should have tilted the camera to make the tree straight (but then others may think you have a lop sided house I suppose!). I would rather have a lop sided tree myself though. Why not plant it out the back and see what happens! Trees live outside that's why they're not so happy inside!

Happy Xmas to you anyway
Old Dec 14th 2004, 2:30 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally Posted by SherKhan66
Hi
Heading to Melbourne tomorrow(on the road soon). I think the tree is excellent - not a fan of Xmas myself but fair dinkum to ya!

You should have tilted the camera to make the tree straight (but then others may think you have a lop sided house I suppose!). I would rather have a lop sided tree myself though. Why not plant it out the back and see what happens! Trees live outside that's why they're not so happy inside!

Happy Xmas to you anyway
No, that's how the bush is. Not supposed to be strong.
Man at garden centre said it would do well outside, yes. Even in a pot. So that's where it will go in January.

Ushas: at least you can rug up for the cold. I've stripped down nearly naked, have a fan going at me, and am still warm. And it's 11.30 pm here.

Time for bed!
Old Dec 14th 2004, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough

No, that's how the bush is. Not supposed to be strong.
Man at garden centre said it would do well outside, yes. Even in a pot. So that's where it will go in January.

Ushas: at least you can rug up for the cold. I've stripped down nearly naked, have a fan going at me, and am still warm. And it's 11.30 pm here.

Time for bed!

Being Australian I'm used to many nights sleeping under a fan completely starkers! Still prefer it to the wind blowing past my ears that's so cold it gives me a headache!
Old Dec 14th 2004, 11:39 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally Posted by Ushas
Being Australian I'm used to many nights sleeping under a fan completely starkers! Still prefer it to the wind blowing past my ears that's so cold it gives me a headache!
Argh, yeah, I always got that. Really hurts!

Bit cooler today, but very humid, so just as sweaty.
Brought the car to the garage just before. I said: this in going to fall under the warranty isn't it?
He: well, we'll have a look and see what's wrong, and then we'll call you.

In other words, it depends....
I really don't know what to do if they charge me again. I don't know anything about it(cars, warranty, anything basically....)
And yes, they do have a good reputation/RAC approved... but I still don't trust them And even if they are right... it's just @#&^*# expensive!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.