Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

hotmail.co.uk addresses???

hotmail.co.uk addresses???

Old Nov 20th 2008, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

James_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really nice
Default hotmail.co.uk addresses???

Hi all,

I am trying to set up a Hotmail account before I leave for Australia and have found that you can only now get .co.uk addresses. Has anyone set one of these up before leaving and does it work ok in Australia.

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but computing is not my strength!

Many thanks,

James
Old Nov 20th 2008, 11:19 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: hotmail.co.uk addresses???

Originally Posted by James_SC
Hi all,

I am trying to set up a Hotmail account before I leave for Australia and have found that you can only now get .co.uk addresses. Has anyone set one of these up before leaving and does it work ok in Australia.

Many thanks,

James
Yeah, hotmail is worldwide, use it anywhere.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 11:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James_SC
Hi all,

Many thanks,

James

Use yahoo.com.au or Gmail...much easier as you don't have to log in every so often to keep it open like you do with Hotmail
Old Nov 20th 2008, 11:47 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Use yahoo.com.au or Gmail...much easier as you don't have to log in every so often to keep it open like you do with Hotmail
Gmail also supports POP and IMAP so you can add the account into something like Outlook Express as well as access on line (not sure if Yahoo does this) also a lot of places black hotmail accounts as they are notoriusly spammy.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Gmail also supports POP and IMAP so you can add the account into something like Outlook Express as well as access on line (not sure if Yahoo does this) also a lot of places black hotmail accounts as they are notoriusly spammy.

Yes, you can forward your Yahoo mail to outlook or any other e-mail client. I forward all my Yahoo mail to optusnet, then it all goes to outlook
Old Nov 20th 2008, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of

When you get the sign up page to enter the new email address you want.

change the URL in the address bar from

https://signup.live.com/signup.aspx?mkt=EN-GB&id=64855&ts=4674541&s

to (the bit in BOLD) from GB to AU then hit enter.

https://signup.live.com/signup.aspx?mkt=EN-AU&id=64855&ts=4674541&s

This isnt the whole URL just the first section, then you can setup a live.com.au account if you want, you cant get hotmail.com.au
Old Nov 20th 2008, 12:04 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Yes, you can forward your Yahoo mail to outlook or any other e-mail client. I forward all my Yahoo mail to optusnet, then it all goes to outlook
Wendy, thats not quite what meant but sort of.
You don't have to forward it - you can connect to a Yahoo email account diectly in outlook - Optus is not required.

See here.

But Yahoo or Gmail is the way.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 12:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy, thats not quite what meant but sort of.
You don't have to forward it - you can connect to a Yahoo email account diectly in outlook - Optus is not required.

See here.

But Yahoo or Gmail is the way.

I know But i had the Yahoo one in the UK, then when we got here I signed up with Optus so just forwarded it all to there. Then when I bought my new PC I decided to set up Outlook.

So that's why it's goes that way. But you can connect to Yahoo from Outlook yes, I just like to be awkward
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud of

We have hotmail.co.uk addresses and they work fine here
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

themac is an unknown quantity at this point

You can also setup outlook to pick up from a hotmail account, very easy, as you would expect as Microsoft own hotmail and outlook. I set this up for my other half in a matter of mins.

Hotmail is certainly not blanket blacklisted by any ISP, neither are yahoo, google etc. Some companies may reject hotmail and similar free e-mail services but then again these companies will have no dealings with the general public only other business.

I'd go with the previous posters suggestions and register a hotmail/google/yahoo.com.au address.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:37 pm
Devil's Advocate

Originally Posted by themac
You can also setup outlook to pick up from a hotmail account, very easy, as you would expect as Microsoft own hotmail and outlook. I set this up for my other half in a matter of mins.

Hotmail is certainly not blanket blacklisted by any ISP, neither are yahoo, google etc. Some companies may reject hotmail and similar free e-mail services but then again these companies will have no dealings with the general public only other business.

I'd go with the previous posters suggestions and register a hotmail/google/yahoo.com.au address.
Dont you have to used the paid option for Hotmail to interact with Outlook? I'm sure the free subscription one won't connect.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

themac is an unknown quantity at this point

No it's free, you use (and I am going by memory here..) a free outlook connector, I'm pretty sure I had to download it/something to her laptop. Then just went in and setup the account with her normal hotmail username and password.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 12:59 am
ABCDiamond

also a lot of places black hotmail accounts as they are notoriusly spammy.
I've considered blacklisting hotmail accounts in the past, as so much spam comes in from them.

I like Gmail, as they clean the vast majority of it out for you.

Old Nov 21st 2008, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

ShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really nice

I only use my hotmail.co.uk account. Don't use anything else and it works fine.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

JAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to all

i've got a .co.uk hotmail address.....no big deal!!!

why does it matter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.