British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   is it that hot?+ regents park? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/hot-regents-park-112614/)

kismet Oct 9th 2002 2:25 pm

is it that hot?+ regents park?

hi all:) ,
I have read that Brisbane is very hot and humid, is that right?? is it unbearably hot?? or like our hot (remember those??) summers
Also i have read previous threads about the suburbs in Brisbane but never seen anything on Regents Park, Browns Plains Heritag Park area.
I would be REALLY grateful to anyone who knows ANYTHING about these areas
cheers
kismet:)

Dbm Oct 9th 2002 7:27 pm

Re: is it that hot?+ regents park?

"kismet" wondered...
    > I have read that Brisbane is very hot and humid, is that right??
Can be at times. Summer is usually 28 - 31 and you will perspire.
I've found Sydney to be more unbearable at times than Brisbane.

> is it unbearably hot??
There a usually a few days each year that can be like that. Living near
Moreton Bay can be more bearable than living on the leeward side of a hill
facing west.....
Elevated houses facing NE usually catch the breezes. Houses with
air-conditioning need to be considered on their merits, usually ceiling fans
are all that are required. Evaporative cooling is a no no.

A really REALLY cold winter's day may drop to 15 deg (unseasonal, the locals
really complain & starting looking warmer clothing ;-) ).

> Also i have read previous threads about the suburbs in Brisbane but
    > never seen anything on Regents Park, Browns Plains Heritag Park area.

These sprawling suburbs are in Logan City. Generally they are less than 20
yo, with mixed housing types (up to 1/2 - 1 acre allotments). Considered to
be a family area. Browns Plains has it's own regional shopping/ service
centre. Try some of the local real estate agents to get some idea of
housing: LJ Hooker, Ray White, etc

Cheerts
Bill

tinaj Oct 9th 2002 7:39 pm

Originally posted by kismet:
I have read that Brisbane is very hot and humid, is that right?? is it unbearably hot?? or like our hot (remember those??) summers
Also i have read previous threads about the suburbs in Brisbane but never seen anything on Regents Park, Browns Plains Heritag Park area.
cheers

I have been wondering about the heat myself so I looked up Brisane and compared it to Florida's temperatures on www.weather.co.uk.
I know Florida quite well and it seems that Brisbane is about 3C cooler each month.
See below:

Brisbane max temps;

Jan 29C Feb 29C Mar 28C Apr 26C May 23C Jun 21C Jul 21C Aug 22 Sep 24C oct 26C Nov 27C Dec 28C.

I am sure it feels a lot hotter in the sun as remember these are shade temperatures. Florida seems to be hotter, so from my experience I would expext Brisbane to be bearable most days.

Look up the weather sites for more info.

tinaj

etlniwd Oct 9th 2002 8:23 pm

I don't live in Brisbane but I have been to Queensland a few times in the height of summer. It's not as bad as many on here make it out to be. I have lived in and visited some very hot places in this world and Brisbane is not one of them. Compared to Singapore (100% humidity day after day) and the Middle East (45 degrees for months on end) it's relatively comfortable.

Also, bear in mind that you aclimatise after a couple of weeks. So much so that you will be wearing a jacket when it gets down to the low 20s. Compare that to Brighton, UK where I live. This morning at 9am it was a beautiful sunny day but only 11 degrees (warmed up to about 16 by lunchtime). Most people were walking around in shorts and T-shirts cos we're used to it.

Chris Oct 10th 2002 4:13 am

"kismet" wrote in message
news:438244.1034173528@britishexpats-
.com
    > hi all:) ,
    > I have read that Brisbane is very hot and humid, is that right?? is it
    > unbearably hot?? or like our hot (remember those??) summers

No, it's hotter than your summers but it's not unbearable. I've lived in
far more humid places in Brisbane. Brisbane... LOL What a joke.

> Also i have read previous threads about the suburbs in Brisbane but
    > never seen anything on Regents Park, Browns Plains Heritag Park area.
    > I would be REALLY grateful to anyone who knows ANYTHING about these
    > areas

Browns Plains is not really what I'd call Brisbane, but it's not that far
out either (25mins to CBD), as it's on the highway.

Chris

> cheers
    > kismet:)
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

AUMike Oct 10th 2002 5:55 am

cheers

Having grown up on the Gold Coast (South of Brisbane) and having spent time in Brisbane, the temperture can get quite high but quite bearable. Its a dry heat and its only when the humidity gets up that it really becomes annoying, and this is not for long stretches of the year. I personally find the weather and temp in Sydney a lot worse.

kismet Oct 10th 2002 7:18 am

Originally posted by AUMike:

Having grown up on the Gold Coast (South of Brisbane) and having spent time in Brisbane, the temperture can get quite high but quite bearable. Its a dry heat and its only when the humidity gets up that it really becomes annoying, and this is not for long stretches of the year. I personally find the weather and temp in Sydney a lot worse.

Thank you all so much for your replies, it has helped me a lot. I was getting my knickers in a twist about nothing, i hear so many negative posts on here that it was worrying me.
cheers again
kismet :)

Don Oct 10th 2002 8:13 am

Thank you all so much for your replies, it has helped me a lot. I was getting my knickers in a twist about nothing, i hear so many negative posts on here that it was worrying me.
cheers again
kismet :)

I'd second the 'don't over-worry' crowd. I spent 3 months in Brisbane and QLD in the height of summer and it was not at all unpleasant, just a bit stickier than you might be used to when enjoying the same heat in, say, Spain or Greece. But NOTHING like as humid/ unpleasant-hot as Hong Kong, Qatar or Calcutta, where I also lived.

Cheers - Don