Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hospitals in Sydney recognised as Cord Blood Bank??

Hospitals in Sydney recognised as Cord Blood Bank??

Old Jul 10th 2009, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

mgul003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hospitals in Sydney recognised as Cord Blood Bank??

Hi,

We are moving to sydney in the month of October and I would be having my baby in the month of Jan 2010.

We are planning to save the Umblical Cord blood during pregnancy and have it saved at some Cord blood bank?

Can anyone please advice which hospitals in sydney are authorised for this??? and is the covered as part of the Medicare or do we have to spend the money on our own..

Thank you
Old Jul 10th 2009, 10:38 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hospitals in Sydney recognised as Cord Blood Bank??

Originally Posted by mgul003
Hi,

We are moving to sydney in the month of October and I would be having my baby in the month of Jan 2010.

We are planning to save the Umblical Cord blood during pregnancy and have it saved at some Cord blood bank?

Can anyone please advice which hospitals in sydney are authorised for this??? and is the covered as part of the Medicare or do we have to spend the money on our own..

Thank you
I've never heard of it and can't help you, just interested in why? What are the benefits? etc etc
Old Jul 10th 2009, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I work as a midwife in a private unit and any of our ladies can have cord blood stored if they wish, it can be arranged quite easily but is very expensive so we don't come across it very often. I don't know the exact costs but I remember asking one woman about it, they paid about $3000 for the collection and processing and there was a fee annually for the storage. The collection box is sent either direct to the woman or the obstetrician and it is collected after delivery and sent by courier to the lab.

It is not even covered by private health insurance and as far as I'm aware definitely not covered by Medicare. I'm not recommending any of these companies but they are some of the main ones operating in Oz. look into this very carefully as there have been cases of parent spending a large amount of money with labs that do not store cells correctly etc and there is still controversy over whole subject.

www.abmdr.org.au (for donating cord blood)

www.cellsense.com.au

www.biocell.com.au

www.stemlife.com.au

Sam

Last edited by Sammy T; Jul 10th 2009 at 11:10 am.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 10:49 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mgul003
Hi,

Thank you
I don't believe that it is covered under medicare.

If you are collecting for your own use, my understanding is that you will need to use the services of one of the 4 private companies that covers Australia.
Ref : http://www.bubhub.com.au/servicescordblood.php
Old Jul 10th 2009, 10:57 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
I don't believe that it is covered under medicare.

If you are collecting for your own use, my understanding is that you will need to use the services of one of the 4 private companies that covers Australia.
Ref : http://www.bubhub.com.au/servicescordblood.php
Interesting. Just had a quick read of the last link and they show this for Sydney: http://www.sch.edu.au/departments/acbb/
Old Jul 10th 2009, 11:34 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Interesting. Just had a quick read of the last link and they show this for Sydney: http://www.sch.edu.au/departments/acbb/
Yes, but I do not believe that is for private, own use.
"The network collects and banks cord blood from voluntary donors for anonymous use by patients needing a stem cell transplant."
Old Jul 11th 2009, 2:45 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

"The network collects and banks cord blood from voluntary donors for anonymous use by patients needing a stem cell transplant."
Given that people from the UK cannot donate blood here anyway, they probably wouldn't accpt cord blood.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 4:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

I did say it was a quick look I guess the UK blood question doesn't count if you're keeping it for personal use
Old Jul 11th 2009, 4:21 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I did say it was a quick look I guess the UK blood question doesn't count if you're keeping it for personal use
Mmmmm, thats possible. Not something I'd heard of before, so I'm just specualting
Old Jul 11th 2009, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Given that people from the UK cannot donate blood here anyway, they probably wouldn't accpt cord blood.
Really? Why? Ever?
Old Jul 11th 2009, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

I found out why...

I CAN’T GIVE BLOOD AS I LIVED IN THE UNITED KINGDOM FOR SIX MONTHS DURING THE PERIOD 1980-1996. WHEN WILL A TEST FOR VCJD BE DEVELOPED?

Although the number of cases of vCJD (the human form of 'mad cow disease') in the UK is declining, in the absence of a screening test, the full extent of exposure is not known.
The Australian Red Cross Blood Service is monitoring progress in the development of a reliable blood screening test for vCJD. Should this deferral policy be changed for any reason, please be assured that this information will be disseminated widely.

So even if you were a vegetarian?
Old Jul 11th 2009, 4:28 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by plantpot
Really? Why? Ever?
Because if you lived in the UK between mid 80s and early 90s you have contaminated blood from mad cow disease and Australia doesn't want it.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Because if you lived in the UK between mid 80s and early 90s you have contaminated blood from mad cow disease and Australia doesn't want it.
ooooooookkkkkkkkkkkkkk

I see.....

and I just saw this:

Unfortunately, because of the extensive time period covered by the deferral and the possibility of unknowing exposure to beef or beef products, it is not possible to exempt vegetarians who have resided in the UK for a cumulative period of six months or more during the risk years.

What about vegans then lol?
Old Jul 11th 2009, 4:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by plantpot
ooooooookkkkkkkkkkkkkk

I see.....

and I just saw this:

Unfortunately, because of the extensive time period covered by the deferral and the possibility of unknowing exposure to beef or beef products, it is not possible to exempt vegetarians who have resided in the UK for a cumulative period of six months or more during the risk years.

What about vegans then lol?
Tough basically. There's no way they can prove they've never eaten meat during that time You can donate organs though. They can wash them
Old Jul 11th 2009, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Tough basically. There's no way they can prove they've never eaten meat during that time You can donate organs though. They can wash them
Spose I can donate my contaminated blood to other cjd types in the UK....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.