Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Horse Riding and Tack shops in Brisbane

Horse Riding and Tack shops in Brisbane

Old May 9th 2007, 10:48 am
Just Joined

Kiangsu is a jewel in the roughKiangsu is a jewel in the roughKiangsu is a jewel in the roughKiangsu is a jewel in the rough
Default Horse Riding and Tack shops in Brisbane

Hi I dont know if anyone can help me but I have just arrived in Brisbane and I am looking for decent places to go riding. Somewhere that will do both trail riding and dressage. Due to the fact I could only bring limited stuff I have left my riding hats at home as I decided it would be better to get a new one here but cant find anywhere to buy one can anyone tell me where I can find a tack shop? It would be greatly appreciated as I am desparate to get riding. Thanks
Old May 9th 2007, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Louise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Horse Riding and Tack shops in Brisbane

Originally Posted by Kiangsu
Hi I dont know if anyone can help me but I have just arrived in Brisbane and I am looking for decent places to go riding. Somewhere that will do both trail riding and dressage. Due to the fact I could only bring limited stuff I have left my riding hats at home as I decided it would be better to get a new one here but cant find anywhere to buy one can anyone tell me where I can find a tack shop? It would be greatly appreciated as I am desparate to get riding. Thanks
Hi.
Not sure how extensive the range is but you could try Greg Grant on Gympie Rd, Aspley opp McDonalds. Havent been in myself but have been told to go there myself.
Lou
Old May 9th 2007, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

beachgal is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

'Horseland' at underwood is great - quite a big shop with a great range of hats for sale - I got mine for $80 recently.

They also have almost everything else you could need to go riding again.

Their website is www.horseland.com.au

Not sure where you are based in Brisbane but for riding schools i'd highly remommend Heritage riding academy in Thornlands - they have great facilities and its very well run - I learn to ride there.

HTH

Edited to add - my riding school specifies that you hat must have an AS number printed inside - it stands for Australian safety number - I was not allowed to ride with my charles Owen UK riding hat even though it conformed to all UK safety standards, so that got sold on Ebay and I bought an Aussie one!
Old May 10th 2007, 1:55 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

From the horses mouth so to speak,

http://www.horsedirectory.com.au/qld...ery/index.html
Old May 10th 2007, 3:34 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beachgal
Hi

'Horseland' at underwood is great - quite a big shop with a great range of hats for sale - I got mine for $80 recently.

They also have almost everything else you could need to go riding again.

Their website is www.horseland.com.au

Not sure where you are based in Brisbane but for riding schools i'd highly remommend Heritage riding academy in Thornlands - they have great facilities and its very well run - I learn to ride there.

HTH

Edited to add - my riding school specifies that you hat must have an AS number printed inside - it stands for Australian safety number - I was not allowed to ride with my charles Owen UK riding hat even though it conformed to all UK safety standards, so that got sold on Ebay and I bought an Aussie one!
Heritage riding has to be one of the worst places to ride in the area in my opinion. Very restrictive group lessons and have the absolute pits of a reputation in the local industry for very very good reasons.

Try Windsong Equestrian Park which offers private 1 to 1 lessons for the same money and basically a much nicer place. 120 Eprapah Rd.
MOUNT COTTON, 4165 Tel 07 3206 2226 Backs onto Sirromet winery and has some great hacking trails and are big on dressage with a good range of horses.

Also consider Atkins Saddlery which rather amusingly is next door to horseland and is run by the previous franchise owners of horseland who disillusioned with them have made it a point to completely undercut horseland and thier saddlery is doing just great.
Old May 10th 2007, 5:50 am
Just Joined

beachgal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Centurion
Heritage riding has to be one of the worst places to ride in the area in my opinion. Very restrictive group lessons and have the absolute pits of a reputation in the local industry for very very good reasons.

Also consider Atkins Saddlery which rather amusingly is next door to horseland and is run by the previous franchise owners of horseland who disillusioned with them have made it a point to completely undercut horseland and thier saddlery is doing just great.
Thats a pretty rude reply to my post - I have found Heritage anything but inflexible - from day one we established a programme of what we want to acheive and we have great fun riding there. Your entitled to your opinion but try not to be so rude to others in the process.
I came on here to make some helpful suggestions at least I don't diss what other people say in the process.
Old May 10th 2007, 11:54 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Thats a pretty rude reply to my post - I have found Heritage anything but inflexible - from day one we established a programme of what we want to acheive and we have great fun riding there. Your entitled to your opinion but try not to be so rude to others in the process.
I came on here to make some helpful suggestions at least I don't diss what other people say in the process.

What's rude about the post?

If you think it is rude - report it to the mods, but reading the reply I can't see anything wrong with it judging by the standard of the really "rude" replies that have been seen on this forum.
Old May 11th 2007, 5:59 am
Just Joined

Kiangsu is a jewel in the roughKiangsu is a jewel in the roughKiangsu is a jewel in the roughKiangsu is a jewel in the rough

Thanks everyone for your replies, its a great help. Seem to have spent loads of time hearing about every other sport but not so much about horses was getting a little worried.

I will venture to these tack shops at the weekend and hopefully get a hat. Just glad I didnt waste my time or space bringing mine with me. Maybe I will see some of you when I try out the stables.

Thanks again Sarah
Old May 11th 2007, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

smiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to all

Hi

My daughter is interested in taking up riding again. She used to go in England and belonged to the pony club there. How much do you pay at Heritage and Windsong for an hours lesson? - she much prefers to be taught in a group environment.

Thanks
Old May 15th 2007, 11:37 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

If you think thats rude, wait until I try then since that was anything but.

I'm glad you've achieved what you want to, but it doesn't stop other people - such as me - from offering different and alternate advice from you. Sadly, I stand by what I said though and if you ask around the local horse industry you would find that not everybody shared your view.

Doesn't make everyone rude now does it ?
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:37 am
Just Joined

horsey girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello!!
I've just got back into riding and live on the Northside of Brisvagas!
Good Tack shops - Horseland is great for cheap and cheerful but does have good brands too. Helmets are not as English" as UK. Alot more Western style around. Greg Grants are ok but more exy than Horseland.
Places to ride. To get started there is a place at Samford called Welcome Horse riding, which is on the North side of town Samford is VERY horse oriantated. Great riding trails and a good pony club. Each August they hold the Samford Valley Horse Rally which is a timed trail ride. Closest to the time wins. Very good fun and very good for a social outing.
Albany Creek have a good pony club too.
On the South side . - not sure sorry. Where are you situated? How long have you been in the glorious Southern Hemisphere? Isn't it just wonderful. We've been here 6 years and love it more each day. Great for horses. I've just bought a TB mare for a fraction of the cost it would be in the UK. Just stuff to take into consideration with horses here such as insects, sun ,heat etc.
Hope I've been of some help
Miranda
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:42 am
Just Joined

horsey girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by horsey girl
Hello!!
I've just got back into riding and live on the Northside of Brisvagas!
Good Tack shops - Horseland is great for cheap and cheerful but does have good brands too. Helmets are not as English" as UK. Alot more Western style around. Greg Grants are ok but more exy than Horseland.
Places to ride. To get started there is a place at Samford called Welcome Horse riding, which is on the North side of town Samford is VERY horse oriantated. Great riding trails and a good pony club. Each August they hold the Samford Valley Horse Rally which is a timed trail ride. Closest to the time wins. Very good fun and very good for a social outing.
Albany Creek have a good pony club too.
On the South side . - not sure sorry. Where are you situated? How long have you been in the glorious Southern Hemisphere? Isn't it just wonderful. We've been here 6 years and love it more each day. Great for horses. I've just bought a TB mare for a fraction of the cost it would be in the UK. Just stuff to take into consideration with horses here such as insects, sun ,heat etc.
Hope I've been of some help
Miranda
Not been on this website for ages ooooow - about 4 years and great to see that people still bitch to on another - get real and be informative rather than personal eh? Remember the Aussie saying MATE!!!!