Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Horse Riding - Melbourne

Horse Riding - Melbourne

Old Jan 21st 2010, 9:33 am
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Horse Riding - Melbourne

Hi there

Was just wondering if anyone out there could point me in the direction of the riding schools in the area of say, Eltham/Diamond Creek down to Bayside?

We have one very keen 13 year old daughter who both rides & has a Saturday job in a riding school here at home & getting her sorted is very high on the list of priorities. In fact, she's more worried about finding the right riding school than she is bothered about joining a new secondary school & making new friends!

She's travelled & ridden in America, so has no worries about picking up the different styles, but the important thing to help her settle is going to be her feeling she can have the involvement with horses she does here at the moment.

Any one got any ideas?

Many thanks
Old Jan 21st 2010, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

laureah21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Horse Riding - Melbourne

Hi there,

I am an Aussie myself that has been in the UK past 10 years, now heading back.

I am from a horsey background and that area (Hurstbridge)
Riding Schools are not a big thing in Aus, compared to the UK so I can not give much advice on that.

The pony club is a HUGE National association, that allows kids to compete at all levels up to the age of 24, and that is how many kids get into riding. Maybe you could go down to one of the rallies of the local clubs and see if they know anything about schools that would provide horses, or she might find someone that has a spare one that she can use.
I went to Hurstbridge, from 8-21.
There rallies are on the first Sunday of the month
http://www.hurstbridge.ponyclubvic.o....asp?Page=3810
or

The eltham Pony Club has a horse less riders club
http://www.elthamponyclub.com.au/#
Old Jan 21st 2010, 5:00 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by laureah21
Hi there,

I am an Aussie myself that has been in the UK past 10 years, now heading back.

I am from a horsey background and that area (Hurstbridge)
Riding Schools are not a big thing in Aus, compared to the UK so I can not give much advice on that.

The pony club is a HUGE National association, that allows kids to compete at all levels up to the age of 24, and that is how many kids get into riding. Maybe you could go down to one of the rallies of the local clubs and see if they know anything about schools that would provide horses, or she might find someone that has a spare one that she can use.
I went to Hurstbridge, from 8-21.
There rallies are on the first Sunday of the month
http://www.hurstbridge.ponyclubvic.o....asp?Page=3810
or

The eltham Pony Club has a horse less riders club
http://www.elthamponyclub.com.au/#
There are riding places over there, can't help you with the area but we had a lovely ride along the beach a few years back just south past Phillip Island and it was gorgeous, style wasn't too different, but it was HOT take a bottle of water or something(like a tankof water LOL) LOL.

I'm sure you'll find somewhere for your daughter to get her foot in the door.

Jen
Old Jan 21st 2010, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of horsey people on the westernport side of the Mornington Peninsula. I guess wait till you get here and then buy the magazine and get in touch with local pony club.

Have a look at this web site http://www.horsedirectory.com.au/vic...ols/index.html

Horse riding is different here as we do not have a lot of trails and they are not allowed on the bike paths. No designated public paths here. There is a trail up in Red Hill though.

Lots of agistment places here as well.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 8:43 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for the links & pointers...I'll start checking them out tomorrow
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JenniGee
Hi there

Was just wondering if anyone out there could point me in the direction of the riding schools in the area of say, Eltham/Diamond Creek down to Bayside?

We have one very keen 13 year old daughter who both rides & has a Saturday job in a riding school here at home & getting her sorted is very high on the list of priorities. In fact, she's more worried about finding the right riding school than she is bothered about joining a new secondary school & making new friends!

She's travelled & ridden in America, so has no worries about picking up the different styles, but the important thing to help her settle is going to be her feeling she can have the involvement with horses she does here at the moment.

Any one got any ideas?

Many thanks
Try Ponyland at Christmas Hills:

http://www.startlocal.com.au/educati...re_958077.html

Not used them myself but heard they are good.

HTH
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 6:35 am
Just Joined

roman_candle has a spectacular aura aboutroman_candle has a spectacular aura aboutroman_candle has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by JenniGee
Hi there

Any one got any ideas?

Many thanks
Hello. I don't really post here, but I think I can help with this one so thought I would come out of hiding!

I ride at a place I really enjoy - it's called Blinkbonnie and it's near Edithvale, so bayside. They have a website here: http://blinkbonnie.com.au/

We also have a Facebook group that she can look up.

It's a really, really nice place - small, but very friendly and you can get as involved as you want - most of the stablehands are students as well and lots of us get there early or stay late to help out with grooming etc. They mainly do beginner to intermediate riding. I'm a lot older than your daughter but I've made lots of friends there and the kids all seem to as well, so it would be a nice place for someone new in town. Anyway, I really like it there, and I've been to a few different riding schools, so it would be worth checking out if you are going to be in the area.

I used to ride at a place called the Melbourne School of Pony Equation, which is not that far from bayside either - it wasn't quite as friendly, but it might be better if she is more of an advanced rider.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 4:57 am
Just Joined

seraphsays is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JenJen
There are riding places over there, can't help you with the area but we had a lovely ride along the beach a few years back just south past Phillip Island and it was gorgeous, style wasn't too different, but it was HOT take a bottle of water or something(like a tankof water LOL) LOL.

I'm sure you'll find somewhere for your daughter to get her foot in the door.

Jen
Hi all,

I am planning to propose in a few weeks time to my British girlfriend who used to own a horse back in UK and loves horseriding, but hasn't found the time to do much of it in Oz. I am planning to do it while in Phillip Island...

Jen, can you or anyone else please tell me where to got info, or who to contact regarding horserides in Phillip Island, or even anywhere within 30/40 mins drive of there? I haven't managed to find anwhere. It doesn't matter how begginner or how advanced, as long as there is a horse underneath us at some point

Thanks heaps,
Reece.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 10:47 am
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by seraphsays
Hi all,

I am planning to propose in a few weeks time to my British girlfriend who used to own a horse back in UK and loves horseriding, but hasn't found the time to do much of it in Oz. I am planning to do it while in Phillip Island...

Jen, can you or anyone else please tell me where to got info, or who to contact regarding horserides in Phillip Island, or even anywhere within 30/40 mins drive of there? I haven't managed to find anwhere. It doesn't matter how begginner or how advanced, as long as there is a horse underneath us at some point

Thanks heaps,
Reece.
Ah, that's so adorable!!! How about these ones -

Book A Trail Rides, Thompson Ave, Cowes, VIC 3922
p: (03) 5952 1072
Old Nov 26th 2010, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

seraphsays is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Peepster
Ah, that's so adorable!!! How about these ones -

Book A Trail Rides, Thompson Ave, Cowes, VIC 3922
p: (03) 5952 1072
Thanks for the info, I've called them a few times and it just rings out, so I'm not sure if they're still operating?...