Horse question?

Old Jan 27th 2007, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

yolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Horse question?

ok, we are hoping at some point to get a horse or two, after a couple of years in Queensland, Sunshine Coast ish area,
Anyone familiar with how where and how much for horses out there?
ideally looking at a Freisan, although anything heavier set than a thoroughbred would be nice! and no, not all Freisans are cows!
Would like info on acreage sharing, tack costs, vet costs, insurance and such. please?
Old Jan 27th 2007, 11:46 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Horse question?

Originally Posted by yolandacharm
ok, we are hoping at some point to get a horse or two, after a couple of years in Queensland, Sunshine Coast ish area,
ideally looking at a Freisan, although anything heavier set than a thoroughbred would be nice! and no, not all Freisans are cows!
Would like info on acreage sharing, tack costs, vet costs, insurance and such. please?
do a search within this forum, click SEARCH at the top and type in horse or whatever and read, ive read posts before about this. tack better in uk so take your own saddles etc i have heard

good luck

al
Old Jan 28th 2007, 4:45 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

You will probably ,find like South Australia, most of Queensland is in to western saddle riding , so people tend to look for Appaloosa,Paint,or Palomino horses or the "waler "Australian stock horse'.
All tough breeds for Australian conditions, i wonder often how well the european bred horses stand up under these conditions, i believe Friesians have a tendency to wards OCD a joint disease.??....................mm
Old Jan 28th 2007, 7:28 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=yolandacharm;4332990]and no, not all Freisans are cows![QUOTE]

Could be useful having a cow, free milk and all that And if you can ride it saves having to get the horse...
Old Jan 28th 2007, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

yolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
You will probably ,find like South Australia, most of Queensland is in to western saddle riding , so people tend to look for Appaloosa,Paint,or Palomino horses or the "waler "Australian stock horse'.
All tough breeds for Australian conditions, i wonder often how well the european bred horses stand up under these conditions, i believe Friesians have a tendency to wards OCD a joint disease.??....................mm
Really? I did not know that! mind you, apart from being beautiful, I dont know much about the breed at all, I was hoping to go for the western style of riding, might be easier on my poor wrists thanks for the info!
Old Jan 28th 2007, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=mark213;4333985][QUOTE=yolandacharm;4332990]and no, not all Freisans are cows!

Could be useful having a cow, free milk and all that And if you can ride it saves having to get the horse...
Yes, all good points, however, kinda hoping for the grace and beauty of a horse, not some bull headed smelly stupid cow
Old Jan 28th 2007, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alkristensen
do a search within this forum, click SEARCH at the top and type in horse or whatever and read, ive read posts before about this. tack better in uk so take your own saddles etc i have heard

good luck

al
Tack better here? oh dear, not sure I could persuade hubby to let me buy my first saddle here! never had a horse of my own, no gurantees of getting one, well yet anyway!
Old Jan 28th 2007, 8:34 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Tack better here? oh dear, not sure I could persuade hubby to let me buy my first saddle here! never had a horse of my own, no gurantees of getting one, well yet anyway!
The Fresian is stunning !! That is what I would love but they cost a bloomin fotune here in WA. A 6 month old baby (purebred) will set you back between $12 - 15,000 if not more as you would have to get it to you if there isn't a breeder near you.

If it is your first horse I would certainly go for something a bit more hardy. I have been eyeing up the quarter horses. They are nice and hardy and obviously would be perfect for you if you want to do western.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sel
The Fresian is stunning !! That is what I would love but they cost a bloomin fotune here in WA. A 6 month old baby (purebred) will set you back between $12 - 15,000 if not more as you would have to get it to you if there isn't a breeder near you.

If it is your first horse I would certainly go for something a bit more hardy. I have been eyeing up the quarter horses. They are nice and hardy and obviously would be perfect for you if you want to do western.
wow, that's a lot! Over here, you can go to Holland and get a decent purebred for around £3500! oh wait, maybe that translates into something similar for ozzie dollars!
Old Jan 28th 2007, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

farrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud of

wow, that's a lot! Over here, you can go to Holland and get a decent purebred for around £3500! oh wait, maybe that translates into something similar for ozzie dollars!
go to
www.horsedeals.com.au

great selection there gets updated end of month......property too

Last edited by farrierswife; Jan 28th 2007 at 3:30 pm. Reason: horsedeals not horsedeal!
Old Jan 28th 2007, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by farrierswife
go to
www.horsedeals.com.au

great selection there gets updated end of month......property too
Cool! thanks
Old Feb 12th 2007, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

georgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by mr mover
You can induce a good old case of OCD (OSTEOCHONDRITIS DISSECANS) in pretty much any breed if you over feed it or feed an unbalanced feed, although TB's & warmbloods tend to be more pre-disposed (or just diagnosed more). It is basically a failure of the bone underlying the smooth articular cartilage inside the joints to form properly. Here's some figures for the science geeks!

Breed Distribution of 161 Horses Presented for Femoropatellar OCD

Breed Number Percentage
Thoroughbred 82 50.9
Quarter Horse 39 24.2
Arabian 16 9.9
Warmblood 9 5.6
Crossbred 5 3.1
Paint Horse 3 1.9
Appaloosa 3 1.9
Other 4 2.5

Friesians are indeed a beautiful breed (I had a 5 yr old Friesian event mare in the UK) but they are not a beginners horse! May I suggest you get yourself a knowledgable horse person (which is difficult because ALL horse people think they are knowledable ) and get a good vet check done before you buy! Horses are a time-consuming, expensive and dedicated hobby but the relationship you form can be an extremely rewarding and addictive one.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by georgiagal
You can induce a good old case of OCD (OSTEOCHONDRITIS DISSECANS) in pretty much any breed if you over feed it or feed an unbalanced feed, although TB's & warmbloods tend to be more pre-disposed (or just diagnosed more). It is basically a failure of the bone underlying the smooth articular cartilage inside the joints to form properly. Here's some figures for the science geeks!

Breed Distribution of 161 Horses Presented for Femoropatellar OCD

Breed Number Percentage
Thoroughbred 82 50.9
Quarter Horse 39 24.2
Arabian 16 9.9
Warmblood 9 5.6
Crossbred 5 3.1
Paint Horse 3 1.9
Appaloosa 3 1.9
Other 4 2.5

Friesians are indeed a beautiful breed (I had a 5 yr old Friesian event mare in the UK) but they are not a beginners horse! May I suggest you get yourself a knowledgable horse person (which is difficult because ALL horse people think they are knowledable ) and get a good vet check done before you buy! Horses are a time-consuming, expensive and dedicated hobby but the relationship you form can be an extremely rewarding and addictive one.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Thank you!
I may well contact you again if you don't mind!