Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

hoping to move to adelade in late 2008

hoping to move to adelade in late 2008

Old Oct 26th 2007, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

DAVID MORTON is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hoping to move to adelade in late 2008

Hoping to move Adelaide as it seems a nice place and affordable, but have never been to australia and could do with some advice on moving there.
We've been to some seminars but have never been to oz.
There's me, my partner and 4 young children, looking for a good area and schools etc, it would be good to chat to someone who lives there and could give some starting points.
will have about $400,000ish for a house that is local beaches and city areas is this enough?-
Is there any ex pat preferred suburbs?
thanks Dave & Sue
Old Oct 26th 2007, 6:49 pm
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hoping to move to adelade in late 2008

Welcome to the forum, we too are off to Adelaide hopefully in April.

We found this place an awesome treasure trove of knowledge, there are some very knowledgable ppl on here.

Wendy to me seems to know virtually all there is to know about Adelaide, but a couple of good places we found are Adelaidebrits and Adelaidebound.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

mysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of light

Hi David,

Welcome to the site and congrats on choosing Adelaide.

At the moment there is still a fair choice of houses in that price range but prices have been rising swiftly since we have been here and you may find some suburbs out of your reach, but that is the same everywhere.

There are certainly areas which the Brits tend to favour, I don't think that it is a sticking together factor, I think it is just those suburbs have what people are looking for. There are certainly no places that are swamped by expats, there is just a nice mix, and I wouldn't avoid any areas in particular because of that.

If you look at AdelaideBrits, there is a FAQ section packed with info on various suburbs, but there is no telling what works for any individual until you arrive I am afraid.

Good luck and all I can suggest is research everything as much as you can and 'you'll be right'

Nikki
x
Old Oct 27th 2007, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

ellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to all

hello

we moved to Adelaide 8 months ago.It is a very nice city and there are lots of differnt suburbs and areas,some cheaper than others.
on the plus side I would say that Adelaide has some lovely beaches and suburbs and is still pretty cheap by comparison to other places in Oz.schools are generally good dependent on areas.certainly hallett cove and flagstaff hill/aberfoyle park have large numbers of brits?not sure why

On the down side I would say that the cost of groceries etc seem high compared to the uk and we have found that we have to work a lot more hours here.
Any other info let me know
Old Oct 27th 2007, 1:57 am
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ellie10990
hello

hallett cove and flagstaff hill/aberfoyle park have large numbers of brits?not sure why

On the down side I would say that the cost of groceries etc seem high compared to the uk and we have found that we have to work a lot more hours here.
You will start one of the great North/South Divides with that first point!! I think Hallet Cove is a nice area with nice beaches and houses etc etc, but I dont see the big draw either, but then it is all down to if you want a sea view I think!!

We live North East of Adelaide and love it in the Greenwith/Golden Grove area, (about 30 mins drive from nearest beach) for that sort of money you would get a nice house, good area with lots of good schools, good shops etc etc. We are minutes away from gorgeous countryside, and often go wild Kangaroo spotting, which the kids never tire of as we always find loads.

I agree with Ellie though the cost of living here is advertised and people assume is cheap cheap cheap, but in my opinion the weekly shopping bill along with all the other bills are very high!! Not when you compare them to the £ but they are when you compare them to the wages you get here!!

But as I have said many times it is all about the whole package, as a family we love it here!!
Old Oct 27th 2007, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi welcome aboard, personally I would say to try and visit a couple of citys before settling on one, especially before buying.
Having livied in both perth and adelaide myself they are very different citys, completly different feel to them. If you want a more brritish old world type feel then adelaide is the place if you want a new and modern city to experience everything you have wanted from australia then perth is the place.

Thats just my opinon though and everyone is different, so you should at least check out a few places before getting settled
Old Oct 27th 2007, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

German Dave is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sham Williams
You will start one of the great North/South Divides with that first point!! I think Hallet Cove is a nice area with nice beaches and houses etc etc, but I dont see the big draw either, but then it is all down to if you want a sea view I think!!

We live North East of Adelaide and love it in the Greenwith/Golden Grove area, (about 30 mins drive from nearest beach) for that sort of money you would get a nice house, good area with lots of good schools, good shops etc etc. We are minutes away from gorgeous countryside, and often go wild Kangaroo spotting, which the kids never tire of as we always find loads.

I agree with Ellie though the cost of living here is advertised and people assume is cheap cheap cheap, but in my opinion the weekly shopping bill along with all the other bills are very high!! Not when you compare them to the £ but they are when you compare them to the wages you get here!!

But as I have said many times it is all about the whole package, as a family we love it here!!
Whereabouts in Greenwith are you? We're up here as well - been here just 6 weeks.

Don't send a PM as that email address has been disabled - I need to change it!
Old Oct 27th 2007, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

steveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DAVID MORTON
Hoping to move Adelaide as it seems a nice place and affordable, but have never been to australia and could do with some advice on moving there.
We've been to some seminars but have never been to oz.
There's me, my partner and 4 young children, looking for a good area and schools etc, it would be good to chat to someone who lives there and could give some starting points.
will have about $400,000ish for a house that is local beaches and city areas is this enough?-
Is there any ex pat preferred suburbs?
thanks Dave & Sue
Hi David and welcome

Have you looked at the adelaidebound site for info and www.realestate.com.au for houses. we hope to be in Adelaide middle of 2008 too,so might bump into you there.

Good luck

Tina x
Old Oct 27th 2007, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

ellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sham Williams

didnt mean to start a north/south divide argument.Was just answering the OPs question of where do many brits live!!it has been recentlyreported in the local papers that those areas have most brits>fact??
I didnt say where I lived or even where IMO nice suburbs are
Old Oct 27th 2007, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

I live West Beach which is west of the City Center (about 20 mins by car) and right on the bach (about 50 paces) We travelled all around OZ before deciding where to live and we fell in love with Adelaide. BE careful as everyone is going to warm to something different as we are all different and like different things ! lol

It really does depend on what your image of your new life in Australia is. If it's hills and trees then you'll head up into the hills, if it's vineyards and country lanes then there are plenty of options (my preference - Maclaren Vale - Check out FOGGOS wines - YUM YUM YUM lol) If you want the beach then Adelaide has a wide range of different beach side suburbs and the prices vary alot along the coast.

Adelaide has really suited us well. The ony thing we've found is that people tend to keep themselves to themselves and as such your social circle seems to be pretty non existant. I was talking to someone yesterday at work (a Manchester lass) who's lived here 4 .5 years and still hasn't found anyone she would call a real friend to hand out with. It will make you close to your family though

The best place for house prices etc really is www.realeastate.com.au that's how we ended up finding out rental home. Check it out and it will give you a good idea of prices.

Austrialian schools all seem pretty nice. You've got the three strands. Public (as in Government run), Catholic and Private. From what i hear (i don 't have kids myself) Private schools are more affordable here. I've done some TRT in some different high schools and interms of the kids there isn't really much difference.

All of the areas people have mentioned are lovely and have lovely schools. If I were you i'd consider renting somewhere temporary (We lived in a caravan park in a little log cabin!) while you look around and choose and area that suits you and your family.

Good luck though. When are you planning on arriving? We'll be back in Birmingham in the new year if you want to meet up we're more than happy to share our esperience with anyone who'll listen

In the meantime.. Have you checked out Summer Heights High? (An Aussie Sit com/comedy - what woudl you call it?? it's funny!)
Old Oct 28th 2007, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

thats supposed to be funny? looks about as good as that kath and kim crap

I dont know how aussies can think thats worth putting on tv
Old Oct 28th 2007, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dave99
thats supposed to be funny? looks about as good as that kath and kim crap

I dont know how aussies can think thats worth putting on tv
I think Summer Heights High is one of the funniest Aussie programmes I've seen..., so puck off Miss.........
Old Oct 28th 2007, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

doje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mochinbach
Hello

I live West Beach which is west of the City Center (about 20 mins by car) and right on the bach (about 50 paces) We travelled all around OZ before deciding where to live and we fell in love with Adelaide. BE careful as everyone is going to warm to something different as we are all different and like different things ! lol

It really does depend on what your image of your new life in Australia is. If it's hills and trees then you'll head up into the hills, if it's vineyards and country lanes then there are plenty of options (my preference - Maclaren Vale - Check out FOGGOS wines - YUM YUM YUM lol) If you want the beach then Adelaide has a wide range of different beach side suburbs and the prices vary alot along the coast.

Adelaide has really suited us well. The ony thing we've found is that people tend to keep themselves to themselves and as such your social circle seems to be pretty non existant. I was talking to someone yesterday at work (a Manchester lass) who's lived here 4 .5 years and still hasn't found anyone she would call a real friend to hand out with. It will make you close to your family though

The best place for house prices etc really is www.realeastate.com.au that's how we ended up finding out rental home. Check it out and it will give you a good idea of prices.

Austrialian schools all seem pretty nice. You've got the three strands. Public (as in Government run), Catholic and Private. From what i hear (i don 't have kids myself) Private schools are more affordable here. I've done some TRT in some different high schools and interms of the kids there isn't really much difference.

All of the areas people have mentioned are lovely and have lovely schools. If I were you i'd consider renting somewhere temporary (We lived in a caravan park in a little log cabin!) while you look around and choose and area that suits you and your family.

Good luck though. When are you planning on arriving? We'll be back in Birmingham in the new year if you want to meet up we're more than happy to share our esperience with anyone who'll listen

In the meantime.. Have you checked out Summer Heights High? (An Aussie Sit com/comedy - what woudl you call it?? it's funny!)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hH5nN9IFGDM
Hi, we are in Semaphore! We've been here all of 10 weeks and so far are absolutley loving it big time. I know its very early days but so far it is everything we had hoped for.

donna
Old Oct 28th 2007, 11:44 am
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by German Dave
Whereabouts in Greenwith are you? We're up here as well - been here just 6 weeks.

Don't send a PM as that email address has been disabled - I need to change it!
Right by the school! Where are you?

Everytime I visit The Highlands Shops I hear English accents so seems there are a few expats up here, we have some excellent expat mates who live about 4 roads along from us, superb crawling distance!!
Old Oct 28th 2007, 11:48 am
A Returning Member!!

Originally Posted by ellie10990
didnt mean to start a north/south divide argument.Was just answering the OPs question of where do many brits live!!it has been recentlyreported in the local papers that those areas have most brits>fact??
I didnt say where I lived or even where IMO nice suburbs are
Did you read my reply properly???
No need to get so narky I was agreeing with the points you made?
Normally when someone puts a smiley face after a comment, it is made in jest??

Last edited by Sham Williams; Oct 28th 2007 at 11:51 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.