Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Was hoping to get a 475 visa but now not sure if we can????

Was hoping to get a 475 visa but now not sure if we can????

Old Feb 14th 2011, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

lisashaw02 is just really nicelisashaw02 is just really nicelisashaw02 is just really nicelisashaw02 is just really nicelisashaw02 is just really nicelisashaw02 is just really nicelisashaw02 is just really nicelisashaw02 is just really nice
Default Was hoping to get a 475 visa but now not sure if we can????

Hello All,
Ive been dipping in and out of this forum for a while now and really would appreciate any help!
My hubby and I have been thinking about a big move down under for some time now and recently started looking into it further, however OH's job would have brought us here but now he is in the midst of changing and suddenly our plans are up in the air!
Really looking for any advise or ideas of whether we will ever get to Australia.(Perth is where we want to go).

My Husband is in the middle of an NVQ as a Lift Installations Engineer and has only done about 13 month work history, we were hoping to apply in about 6 month- 1 year when he would have completed NVQ and have more solid work history behind him, however the company he was working for is not getting the work and he is being laid off.
Luckily he has been offered another job in his old company but this is not in the lift trade and not on the SOL list, so I don't know if our dream is lost or whether there is something we can do to still get in?? Any help or Ideas greatly appreciated.
Thanks Lisa
Old Feb 14th 2011, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Was hoping to get a 475 visa but now not sure if we can????

Lisa, we don't know enough about you to say whether you can qualify. But for skilled migration which you had been looking at; either you or your OH needs to have recently worked in an occupation on sch 3 or 4 of the SOL, would need a state sponsor if the occupation is only on sch 4 and would need to pass a skills assessment and have enough points. Have you looked at the new points test, it is changing in July.

If you do not meet those criteria then skilled migration will not be an option.

You are then looking at employer sponsorship, you will still need suitable experience and perhaps qualifications for this but for a temporary visa it is not usually as strict. The downside is it is only a temporary visa and it is very hard to find employer sponsors from overseas.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Just on NVQ's they don't hold much weight in Australia, employers over there I found knew little about them or didn't want to know about them.

If you come from an NVQ background you need a good few years experience behind you.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 11:24 pm
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jon77
Just on NVQ's they don't hold much weight in Australia, employers over there I found knew little about them or didn't want to know about them.

If you come from an NVQ background you need a good few years experience behind you.
You are correct about NVQ as Australia only seem to understand CERT and Diploma here but if it was the other way round UK know and accept CERT from OZ but OZ dont understand NVQ how can that be right.I came here 5 years ago with a lot of qualifications from the fire service but in OZ they would not reconise them and said i needed to start at the bottom as i had no Australia experience but i had ten years UK trained fire service experience.It frustrates you
Old Mar 10th 2011, 10:08 am
Just Joined

j brad is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi i came to Australia in sept 2009 on a state sponsor visa 475.
yes i'm afraid the other posts are correct with the NVQ.
and also if your husbands last 6 months + of work is of a different trade to which he has the most experience of they sometimes they can only accept the experience of the most recent work history.