Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hoping to escape the British weather?!

Hoping to escape the British weather?!

Old Jul 17th 2004, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Hoping to escape the British weather?!

News article from NSW - Heavy snow causes chaos on snowy roads

http://au.news.yahoo.com/040717/2/pxvy.html

Until we moved over here, I had no idea that it snowed in Australia! I kinda assumed it was hot all year round.....
Old Jul 17th 2004, 10:00 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

LOL. When I worked for Motorola making mobile phones we had a quality issue one time which meant that a particular batch of phones would drop calls when the temp went below -5C. Our Quality Director stopped shipments into most countries but was quite happy to let shipments to Australia continue until I pointed out to him that certain parts of OZ can also have temps of this type and lower and when I mentioned there are ski resorts in OZ the look on his face was absolutely comical
Old Jul 17th 2004, 10:44 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hoping to escape the British weather?!

Originally posted by Jacqui
News article from NSW - Heavy snow causes chaos on snowy roads

http://au.news.yahoo.com/040717/2/pxvy.html

Until we moved over here, I had no idea that it snowed in Australia! I kinda assumed it was hot all year round.....
It can get pretty cold in lots of parts of Australia.

Comes as a bit of a shock if you don't expect it.

G
Old Jul 17th 2004, 11:54 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

"Snowy Mountains".
Old Jul 17th 2004, 12:24 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Megalania
"Snowy Mountains".
Old Jul 17th 2004, 12:33 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Megalania
"Snowy Mountains".
They were named that 'cos they resemble a snowy owl from a distance.

Right on!
Old Jul 17th 2004, 12:49 pm
jib
BE Enthusiast

jib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nice

The blue mountains were named cos they resemble Balaenoptera musculus, from a distance

jib
Old Jul 17th 2004, 12:51 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

And when you happen on Corryong, take a moment to visit Jack Riley's tomb.

Jack Riley was born in Ireland to Daniel Riley and Anne (nee Murray) in 1841. He was thirteen when he emigrated to Australia, arriving in Sydney on the Rodney on March 15, 1854.

The Man from Snowy River
Old Jul 17th 2004, 12:51 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by jib
The blue mountains were named cos they resemble Balaenoptera musculus, from a distance

jib
Wrong, more like a blue-assed fly than any whale.
Old Jul 17th 2004, 3:59 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

...what do you mean escape the british weather?? i haven't seen any good snow here for years..
Old Jul 17th 2004, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

No good snow and no good sun either - 'cept last years heatwave and we were in oz then.
Old Jul 18th 2004, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

There is no snow up this way, best head up here if you want year round warmth. Glorious sun again today, but a chilly wind it might even go down to 19C. :scared:
Old Jul 18th 2004, 12:54 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Even where daytime temperatures are reasonable, anywhere in inland Australia can get cold on winter nights.

Places as diverse as Alice Springs NT, Canberra ACT, and Tamworth NSW can all get temperatures well below freezing at night during winter.

Subzero temperatures are unusual in coastal areas - possibly occasionally along the south coast.

Jeremy

Originally posted by Mairi&Chris
LOL. When I worked for Motorola making mobile phones we had a quality issue one time which meant that a particular batch of phones would drop calls when the temp went below -5C. Our Quality Director stopped shipments into most countries but was quite happy to let shipments to Australia continue until I pointed out to him that certain parts of OZ can also have temps of this type and lower and when I mentioned there are ski resorts in OZ the look on his face was absolutely comical
Old Jul 18th 2004, 1:05 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Right now a low is coming off the Ocean that has brought snow to lower lying areas that rarely get snow and high winds and 4-9m waves in Sydney. Good skiiing but the roads were shut to the resorts.

Canberra at the moment is 0-7C.
Old Jul 18th 2004, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

and snow on the outskirts of canberra this morning too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.