Reload this Page >

Hoping for brisbane

Hoping for brisbane

Old Jun 3rd 2016, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

Cazmoore4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hoping for brisbane

Hi all

Me and my family are hoping to move to brisbane in the next 1-2 years. I have been in constant contact with a couple of agencies who have confirmed that as our points aren't high enough due to age (41) of my husband we should take the route of getting a job for him first. His job is on the sol but having done loads of research we can't find any idea of pay for his job. Telecommunications engineer. We have tried to message Telstra about this but they only have a general email system where they send you job adverts, which we've joined but we're not currently seeing any job for him. Does anyone have any idea what sort of salary we are looking at? Or possibly a way to find out? I would also love to get views on whether these agencies are worth their money as they guarantee interviews and if we can do this alone? It seems scary to do it alone knowing how complicated this is! We are very aware we need to come out for interviews, i know i wouldn't employ someone i haven't met but would like to get an idea on salaries before we do that. Thank you caz

Last edited by Cazmoore4; Jun 3rd 2016 at 10:02 pm. Reason: Adding a line missed out
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 11:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hoping for brisbane

Originally Posted by Cazmoore4
Hi all

Me and my family are hoping to move to brisbane in the next 1-2 years. I have been in constant contact with a couple of agencies who have confirmed that as our points aren't high enough due to age (41) of my husband we should take the route of getting a job for him first. His job is on the sol but having done loads of research we can't find any idea of pay for his job. Telecommunications engineer. We have tried to message Telstra about this but they only have a general email system where they send you job adverts, which we've joined but we're not currently seeing any job for him. Does anyone have any idea what sort of salary we are looking at? Or possibly a way to find out? I would also love to get views on whether these agencies are worth their money as they guarantee interviews and if we can do this alone? It seems scary to do it alone knowing how complicated this is! We are very aware we need to come out for interviews, i know i wouldn't employ someone i haven't met but would like to get an idea on salaries before we do that. Thank you caz
I'm curious. What are you going to do with a general salary figure?

Are you going to look at todays exchange rate and say "oooh goody that looks good/bad against what I currently earn in pounds"? ..... and base your decisions around that?

Anyhow, what did you find when you plugged this into google?

Did you find this followed by the job adverts?

http://www.payscale.com/research/AU/Job=Telecommunications_Engineer/Salary
Old Jun 4th 2016, 2:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

The chances of securing work and sponsorship from overseas are remote for the overwhelming majority of people. It occasionally happens but most people that do secure a sponsorship have transfered with an international company or were living in Australia already on a different visa like student or working holiday.

No agency can guarantee a job interview and if one did claim that I would stop talking to them right there and then on account of being a scam. I am sure you would be highly dubious if a UK agency "guaranteed interviews" - well it is just the same.

The other thing with employer sponsorship, is that as unlikely as it is to secure employer sponsorship, it would be even more unlikely to secure a permanent visa through employer sponsorship. So if you beat all the odds to find a sponsor you would be on a temporary visa and be on 90 days notice to leave the country at any time. Temporary employer visas do not magically convert into permanent visas with the passage of time.

So all that brings me back to skilled migration, the far better route to Australia. I don't realy understand why a 41 year old engineer could not get enough points: age 15, English test 20, degree 15, work experience 15. Which bit are you falling short on?
Old Jun 4th 2016, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice

I spoke to an emigration agency in the beginning and was given a now or never story due to my age, 41 funnily enough. Started the process myself as friends had and got it wrong(do your homework). Spoke to Ian Harrop(find him on the net) based in Oxford. He sorted me out and we got here in `08 making me 43. And took about 4/5 months to find a job. Telstra have made cuts, so finding a job with them may be difficult. That said I would have thought with the NBN? Broadband expansion plan there would be work around for someone with his experience. I reckon $45K - $70K annual gross. Look on SEEK.com etc for jobs. And ones with agencies, You can apply but take them with a pinch of salt. They advertise jobs that do not exist anymore just to add you to their books and make their numbers look good. Some of their jobs do so you have to apply just in case. I am electrical/instrumentation and was applying for 20 to 30 a day. Often repeating the application days later. I was starting to get worried then something just came out of the blue. Good luck.
Old Jun 4th 2016, 5:38 am
TGA
Banned

TGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I'm curious. What are you going to do with a general salary figure?

Are you going to look at todays exchange rate and say "oooh goody that looks good/bad against what I currently earn in pounds"? ..... and base your decisions around that?

Anyhow, what did you find when you plugged this into google?

Did you find this followed by the job adverts?

Telecommunications Engineer Salary (Australia)
know what you are going to earn seems like a sensible thing to do when planning a new life.
Old Jun 4th 2016, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGA
know what you are going to earn seems like a sensible thing to do when planning a new life.
Absolutely, but I didn't question that. I asked what they are then going to do with that figure.
Old Jun 4th 2016, 9:36 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
.......So all that brings me back to skilled migration, the far better route to Australia. I don't realy understand why a 41 year old engineer could not get enough points: age 15, English test 20, degree 15, work experience 15. Which bit are you falling short on?
Agree with this

And if you are still struggling for points, there is also state sponsorship for a lot of occupations and an extra 5 points.

For the OP, what is your points breakdown?
Old Jun 4th 2016, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TGA
Thank you we weren't expecting millions obviously but always good to grt an idea. I appreciate your support which doesn't come that easily on here to some!!
Old Jun 4th 2016, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by skinnygeorge
I spoke to an emigration agency in the beginning and was given a now or never story due to my age, 41 funnily enough. Started the process myself as friends had and got it wrong(do your homework). Spoke to Ian Harrop(find him on the net) based in Oxford. He sorted me out and we got here in `08 making me 43. And took about 4/5 months to find a job. Telstra have made cuts, so finding a job with them may be difficult. That said I would have thought with the NBN? Broadband expansion plan there would be work around for someone with his experience. I reckon $45K - $70K annual gross. Look on SEEK.com etc for jobs. And ones with agencies, You can apply but take them with a pinch of salt. They advertise jobs that do not exist anymore just to add you to their books and make their numbers look good. Some of their jobs do so you have to apply just in case. I am electrical/instrumentation and was applying for 20 to 30 a day. Often repeating the application days later. I was starting to get worried then something just came out of the blue. Good luck.
Thank you so much that's so useful. I was dubious that they guarantee interviews but wanted to say what we were offered to the forum. What i should have said is that we were given enough points to get to Melbourne but not to Brisbane and having a friend who has moved to oz into a place they didn't know and the struggles they had moving again, i guess we want to see if there's a way of not doing that before just jumping in. Congrats on your achievement, sounds as i thought, if you put the effort and work in, it'll come at some point. Good to know it's possible anyway!
Old Jun 4th 2016, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

If your occupation is on the SOL (which it is) there should be no difference in points between States! As requested above, if you list your points breakdown down on here you can get some advice on it here x
Old Jun 4th 2016, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jilliebee
If your occupation is on the SOL (which it is) there should be no difference in points between States! As requested above, if you list your points breakdown down on here you can get some advice on it here x
Oh really that's interesting. Seems these agencies have done a little bit of lying to get my business, so glad you guys are here! We were told we only have a maximum of 60 points when we need 85 to get to Brisbane but funnily enough they didn't break that down, they just said because my husband doesn't have a degree and hes getting near the age limit for moving out there, it stops us getting the points we need to get to where we need. Is there a way to find out our points on our own?? Thanks for your help!
Old Jun 4th 2016, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Agree with this

And if you are still struggling for points, there is also state sponsorship for a lot of occupations and an extra 5 points.

For the OP, what is your points breakdown?
Not sure as they didn't break it down for us, just asking someone else if it's possible to find this out somewhere?
Old Jun 4th 2016, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Oh really that's interesting. Seems these agencies have done a little bit of lying to get my business, so glad you guys are here! We were told we only have a maximum of 60 points when we need 85 to get to Brisbane but funnily enough they didn't break that down, they just said because my husband doesn't have a degree and hes getting near the age limit for moving out there, it stops us getting the points we need to get to where we need. Is there a way to find out our points on our own?? Thanks for your help!
Find a better agent or do this yourself. I have outlined a potential 65 points above, can you not get these? If not, why not, where are you lacking?

Sometimes a state will only sponsor if there is a high points score but I have not come across Queensland doing that and I have never seen a state ask for 85 points. And indeed Queensland is not sponsoring this occupation at all. But that doesn't matter, as you do not require state sponsorship.
Old Jun 4th 2016, 4:19 pm
TGA
Banned

TGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Absolutely, but I didn't question that. I asked what they are then going to do with that figure.
like you said "base their decisions on"...
Old Jun 4th 2016, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by TGA
like you said "base their decisions on"...
What are you on about?

You know very well that when you have 2 figures in your hand, one in Aussie dollars and one in pounds, you have to look far deeper into it than that.

Oh forget it. Let the poster make decisions based on surface knowledge. I'm out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.