British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Hopefully Brisbane bound eventually ! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/hopefully-brisbane-bound-eventually-113068/)

footie chick Oct 16th 2002 2:38 pm

Hopefully Brisbane bound eventually !

Hi
Anyone out there hoping to go to Brisbane when visas are given the all clear.Any information on the place would be helpful to me and the family. Has anyone decided against Brisbane if so why? Big step so all advice and helpful hints will go along way as children are not overly keen.

Footie Chick

Grub Oct 16th 2002 2:56 pm

Re: Hopefully Brisbane bound eventually !

Dont ask Dotty!! NO offense to Dotty but if you speak to her you will be put right off!
I love Brisbane and have friends there but it is tremendously hot. I personally wouldnt stand the humidity in the summer but the house prices are still relatively cheap (comp. to Melbourne and Sydney)
There are such beautiful places to see round Brisbane- Noosa and Atherton Tablelands etc. Have a search under Brisbane as there are defo others going there.
Maybe start a spreadsheet like we have done for Perth.
Cheers and good luck

Nicky

footie chick Oct 16th 2002 3:57 pm

Cheers for advice.

I will start researching as soon as i have finished this message.

When are you Perth bound do you know yet?

Footie chick

Grub Oct 16th 2002 4:02 pm

Sore subject! Applied May 2001 and still waiting.

If you want more info then i also have friends who live in Brisband (Aussies though, not Expats!)- too hot for the Pom's i think! I spent a winter there and it was blissful- a steady 20-25 degrees. Am too blue blooded to handle 98% humidity.

Re your kids- Australia is great. I spent age 10-13 there and loved it. They will have reservations but see posts from people like Yvonne who has just reached Melbourne and who's son is having the time of his life. Kids adjust- especially when there's so much freedom out there.

footie chick Oct 16th 2002 4:17 pm

Weather sounds great to me but not sure about my other half, that may put him of about Brisbane.

What visa have you applied for? Did you use an agent?God i bet your tearing your hair out !!

Where are you hoping to settle?

Footie chick

Grub Oct 16th 2002 4:21 pm

Used 4 Corners- dont ask for details on them as i likely to sqweem and sqweem and sqweem.
Cost £nearly 3k
Applied skilled migration indepenant (carpenter)
Application currently gathering dust.
Have you been to Brissie? Why there?
We will be in the northern suburbs of Perth but the sea and the Freemantle doctor (their wondeful breeze)!
Cant wait (literally)!!!

cazz Oct 16th 2002 6:45 pm

Originally posted by footie chick:
Hi
Anyone out there hoping to go to Brisbane when visas are given the all clear.Any information on the place would be helpful to me and the family. Has anyone decided against Brisbane if so why? Big step so all advice and helpful hints will go along way as children are not overly keen.

Footie Chick

Hi,
going to Brisbane at christmas to visit my sister and her family, she went over last new year and loves it. She has a seven year old girl who has settled really well and an eight year old son who loves the out door life and now sounds completely australian. My sister has red hair and very fair complextion if she can cope with the heat anyone can.
We are through our 2nd stage and have been told to get our police checks and medicals, we are going to have a serious look around the area at christmas.

micky Oct 16th 2002 7:47 pm

Hi Footie chick,
Just out of curiosity - why did you opt for Brisbane?
Do you have family/friends there to guide you or was it just your own choice? Maybe a job offer?
I opted for Perth - only because Michaels cousin lives there.
He's been but I've not.
Like you, kids are NOT keen.
Shona x

dotty Oct 16th 2002 9:00 pm

Originally posted by Grub:
Dont ask Dotty!! NO offense to Dotty but if you speak to her you will be put right off!
I love Brisbane and have friends there but it is tremendously hot. I personally wouldnt stand the humidity in the summer but the house prices are still relatively cheap (comp. to Melbourne and Sydney)
There are such beautiful places to see round Brisbane- Noosa and Atherton Tablelands etc. Have a search under Brisbane as there are defo others going there.
Maybe start a spreadsheet like we have done for Perth.
Cheers and good luck

Nicky

Actually Grub, we are moving back up to the Sunshine Coast for the Summer, it is 32 degrees already, and its only spring, the drought is causing zillions of flies to come in from the West, my white washing was coated in them yesterday. We have work in Bris and Sunshine Coast so moving up nearer sea Breeze for Summer. It will still be hot as hell but at least we can get a swim. Now this bit will make you all drool (dont say I never say antything good about Australia). For around $600,000 we have bought a third of an acre, surrounded by a creek and rainforest, 5 bedroom house with a big pool which you can swim out to a deck in the trees. House is about 30 square metres and has all these wooden decks haning off it so you feel like you are in the Jungle, (yes it will have snakes etc, but I am used to them now). My husband pointed out that is is so private you could run naked through the house and nobody would know. (Personally I hope he keeps his gear on). So I will freely admit that I could not get that kind of house in the UK. There I said very good thing about Australia!! (Business commitments prevent us going back to the UK just yet but yes we will still be going back ASAP.)

Ginny Oct 16th 2002 9:25 pm

Originally posted by footie chick:
Hi

Footie Chick

Hi there,

We're hoping for Brisbane as well. We've got our visas but for one thing and another can only go and validate next year with the hope to move soon after. We originally looked at Adelaide because of the government help to migrants. My hubby and I are both nurses and could get jobs but I am looking at possibly getting into IT so Adelaide was out due to job prospects. Sydney - too expensive, although our close friends have just upped sticks and moved back there. Hubby didn't fancy Melbourne and Perth was too far from anything. So that left Brisbane and the surrounding area.

If you do a search for postings by J Irons you should find some helpful info. There is probably more but I've found this quite good.

Hope this helps but if you've anymore questions give us a shout.

Ginny