Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hope everyone in Brisbane is OK

Hope everyone in Brisbane is OK

Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:14 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hope everyone in Brisbane is OK

Originally Posted by Rooksie
Holy Crap and we watched War of the Worlds last night!!! :scared: :scared:

Has your wife seen that Wayne!?!?!?! :scared: :scared:
Yes we watched it the other day. And when I saw what looked like multipe lightning strikes in the same place ..... :scared:
Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:24 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wmoore
Yes we watched it the other day. And when I saw what looked like multipe lightning strikes in the same place ..... :scared:
I was out walking the dog as the 'little light summer shower' was approaching, and I saw a multiple strike which looked like it was around Cleveland/Thornlands area, It must have went on for about 3-5 seconds just repeatedly hammering the same place.

Its unusual to even glimpse fork lightning never mind watch it for 3 seconds just repeatedly firing. Quite cool
Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:25 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Just got back from Wello Point, after watching the storms head out to see. About 2pm they hit us hard with the proper forked lightning and the bangs which made even me wince. Power got cut about 3pm and has been off until about 10 mins ago to the entire suburb.

So - guess who is going down to Big W tommorrow to stock up on torches and a portable battery powered radio for the summer months ahead

I hope everyone was OK. Amazing to watch and there were heaps of cars down at the point with loads of people sat on the beach watching.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:28 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A dogs life
I was out walking the dog as the 'little light summer shower' was approaching, and I saw a multiple strike which looked like it was around Cleveland/Thornlands area, It must have went on for about 3-5 seconds just repeatedly hammering the same place.

Its unusual to even glimpse fork lightning never mind watch it for 3 seconds just repeatedly firing. Quite cool
It did look pretty cool from a safe distance Pretty good storm that one. I have seen one better in Mexico a couple of years ago but this one was pretty close.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:28 am
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by Centurion
.... and the bangs which made even me wince.
Yeah, me too.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:40 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wmoore

ok im crying now!!
Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:40 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A dogs life
Oh stop whinging!! Don't you know we badly NEED rain. Just be grateful this was the "right type" of rain. Now if we could just have a couple of weeks of storms like that every day, then maybe we could move back to level 1 restrictions.

The fact that half of Brisbane would have been washed away by then is just the type of thing whinging POMs would point out...
Hahaha, you whinge when you get an inch of rain in a month, thank god you didnt get even close to what we got or you'd be hyperventilating & hysterical .

I'd be more than happy if the dams got the sort of rain we got today, unfortunately they didnt, so sucked in, you still cant use your sprinklers .

Centurion, our Wellington Point house must have been one of the lucky ones, Dagboy went down to check on it at around 6pm & it still had power. It's at the Ormiston end.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

hi just got the internet back,been off all afternoon
wow what a storm ive never seen ought like it,the roads were running like rivers and it all happened so quickly,we were at our friends and the entertaining area was under water in not time and right up to the doorway thought we were gonna be trying to scoop the water from inside the lightening and thunder :scared: f...........had us jumping out of our chairs a few times,gary had to go pick up kerry and friend right in the middle of it all :scared: he came back with wet jeans up to his knees thank god we ve got a 4x4.
hope everyone is ok,i think we got off litely though compared to some

tracey
Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:46 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scissors
hi just got the internet back,been off all afternoon
wow what a storm ive never seen ought like it,the roads were running like rivers and it all happened so quickly,we were at our friends and the entertaining area was under water in not time and right up to the doorway thought we were gonna be trying to scoop the water from inside the lightening and thunder f...........had us jumping out of our chairs a few times,gary had to go pick up kerry and friend right in the middle of it all :scared: he came back with wet jeans up to his knees thank god we ve got a 4x4.
hope everyone is ok,i think we got off litely though compared to some

tracey

Oh pooooop!!!!! i can feel a change of plan coming on!!!!!
Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

nah i think we missed the worst of it.although it was quite spectacular to see,i m sure peopole who had any damage wouldnt be say ing that Rooksie]Oh pooooop!!!!! i can feel a change of plan coming on!!!!! [/QUOTE]
Old Nov 27th 2005, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Unycorne is on a distinguished road

About 2 oclock i started to hear the rumbles of thunder while sitting outside reading my book, at about 3.30 i was round the other side of the house watching the fork lightening in the distance. it was amazing. at about 4.30 the fork lightening was above us and hit somewhere close by. We saw the fork hit with a big pop and then the thunder sounded like a metal plate hitting a tiled floor. We saw it in slow motion and it was amazing to see it so close and personal. It was nano seconds after this we lost all the power. After that i was crapping myself so much i hid in the house watching it all from the front window. When it looked as though it had passed, we got the car out of the garage (after figuring out how to open it manally) and went to the point to watch it disappear into the sea.

So no lights or power - we drove into Birkdale and had a Balti and can you believe all the lightening came back. So again we went down to the point and sat for ages watching 4 storms out at sea. I have never seen anything like it. Got back aout half hr ago and the lightening is still going good and strong. Power came back about 15 mins ago i guess.

All in all it has been a pretty good adenaline rush for the last 8 hours or so. Looking forward to the next one

Michelle

PS we are spitting distance to the point in wellington point.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 11:05 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Hahaha, you whinge when you get an inch of rain in a month, thank god you didnt get even close to what we got or you'd be hyperventilating & hysterical .

I think we did get what you got. It was fairly torrential for about an hour with mad thunder and lightning. The back garden turned into a pond and the pool went from 4/5 full to over flowing.

Actually its quite funny, we are on a slope so all the water from our place flows into our neighbours garden. Who gets flooded. And after the rain I put the pool pump onto 'waste' to pump some water out of the pool (first time I've ever done it), and what do you know!! It pumps the water into the neighbours garden as well

Moral of the story, if you are going to live on a slope... live at the TOP of the slope.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

I live at the top of the slope not always good over here though I can tell you. When it snows I can't get home boo hoo lol
lace x
Old Nov 27th 2005, 11:24 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Hmm. no hail further north, but a huge lightening strike a couple of doors down blew up our austar. Thank god the ratings have finished and so theres no more CSI etc.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 1:06 pm
Cleveland, Bayside

Rich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond repute

Well we dicided to go into Capalaba after lunch to spend some more money and in kamart about 3.15 and the thunder started. Quite loud. Then the lights went off for a minute or so. We made our way to the till & got to the car. Not expecting what was outside :scared: it was horrible. The thunder was sooo loud we couldnt hear the stereo in the car. The lightening was just everywhere, seemed like it was lightin up the whole sky wonderful to watch but quite :scared: for the kids.
Anyway on the way back took a few piccies the water on the roads like Tracey said was like a river and our area Cleveland was like the thames. The drain by the cycle path wasn't there anymore just a lot of water flowing through it.
Back at home we sat watching it and its unreal to see. Never seen anything like it before. Yes me too I will be out tomorrow to get some candles. torch etc
So sorry for those that were hit by hail stones

Ang

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.