Hope?!!

Old Nov 2nd 2005, 7:20 am
Banned

NewOZ will become famous soon enoughNewOZ will become famous soon enough
Default Hope?!!

Who still have hope that new citizenship legislation will exclude people with PR?
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice
Default Re: Hope?!!

Originally Posted by NewOZ
Who still have hope that new citizenship legislation will exclude people with PR?
Hi

This is not aimed at you NewOz specifically, so please do not take offence personally.

As a general comment I am unsure of what all the panic about Australia changing the time from two to three years to get citizenship is. Uk takes three years and this is only if you are married to a British citizen. It is normally five. You also now need to take a test that a straw poll by the BBC showed most British would fail dismally.

I mean seriously how many of you Brits know the ratio of those in England to the rest of the UK? Or what percentage of the British population are British born?

If your commitment is to live in - or at least maintain an ongoing relationship with - Australia (as I believe you must sign a declaration - unlike the UK) what is one more year (two less than UK)?

I know in a previous post Jeremy suggested if you make people wait too long it discourages people to take out citizenship, but this does not seem to be a problem in the UK.

I am all for people taking citizenship if they intend to reside in a country. I think it is only right and proper. I don't think anything should be done to actively discourage this take up. Is this what people believe the extra year is going to create? If so how? If you are living in the country and intend to continue is there anyone who would leave because they must wait one more year?

As I said this is not meant to cause any offence, I am just not sure I understand what the panic is about. If someone could explain it I would be most grateful.

Regards
Abby
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 7:48 am
Banned

NewOZ will become famous soon enoughNewOZ will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by NIGENABBY
Hi

This is not aimed at you NewOz specifically, so please do not take offence personally.

As a general comment I am unsure of what all the panic about Australia changing the time from two to three years to get citizenship is. Uk takes three years and this is only if you are married to a British citizen. It is normally five. You also now need to take a test that a straw poll by the BBC showed most British would fail dismally.

I mean seriously how many of you Brits know the ratio of those in England to the rest of the UK? Or what percentage of the British population are British born?

If your commitment is to live in - or at least maintain an ongoing relationship with - Australia (as I believe you must sign a declaration - unlike the UK) what is one more year (two less than UK)?

I know in a previous post Jeremy suggested if you make people wait too long it discourages people to take out citizenship, but this does not seem to be a problem in the UK.

I am all for people taking citizenship if they intend to reside in a country. I think it is only right and proper. I don't think anything should be done to actively discourage this take up. Is this what people believe the extra year is going to create? If so how? If you are living in the country and intend to continue is there anyone who would leave because they must wait one more year?

As I said this is not meant to cause any offence, I am just not sure I understand what the panic is about. If someone could explain it I would be most grateful.

Regards
Abby
Hi

This is not aimed at you Abby specifically, so please do not take offence personally.

we discussed why 1 years matter before
see this
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ht=citizenship

i asked 1 question i expected people who are intrested to reply me,
if the new law does not affect you, then you are very lucky and dont expect that 1 year will not means much to you coz you dont have to wait , we do
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice

Hi

No offence taken. But the truth is I totally agree with you.

I don't think the regulations should be back dated - for want of a better description. If people are there now under the two year rule I think that is all they should have to complete to apply for citizenship.

I don't think there should be anything to discourage people from taking citizenship up.

I hope the legislation does not change at all, let alone just for those there currently.