Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong stop over - advice please - what shall we do

Wikiposts

Hong Kong stop over - advice please - what shall we do

Old May 27th 2005, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hong Kong stop over - advice please - what shall we do

Originally Posted by ali south
thanks, I am now absolutely convinced that I must go to HK, the
Mandarin Oriental is £277 for 2 rooms for 2 nights, every one needs a bit of luxury sometime!
Tara
Hi Tara

Just a word of warning - the Mandarin Oriental is undoubtedly one of the best hotels in the world and myself and husband were very fortunate to stay there for 4 days. However, whilst its extremely luxurious, I found it to be very business orientated, so I felt a little uncomfortable in the lifts / lobby dressing down for tourist stuff, whilst everyone else is dressed for business. Having said that, the staff are not stuffy at all, and the ratio of staff to guests (it used to be 2 to 1) makes for a very comfortable and pampering stay. If I was just going sightseeing I would choose somewhere like the Excelsior. We stayed there on another visit and felt a little less conspicuous!

Another word of warning - if you are at all squeamish, do not stand outside any snake restaurants if you see a crowd gathering. I won't go into detail but its one of the most goriest displays I've ever seen - and I've seen some horrendous Chinese markets.

Hong Kong is definitely one of the most exciting cities in the world. There's tons to do. You will absolutely love it. But just like Bangkok its busy busy busy! For a moments relaxation, go and watch all the people in Stanley park doing their Tai Chi. Its fascinating. We did most of our tours with a company called Tour East. I think most of the large holiday companies use them, and their brochures are inside every hotel. There are a large number of full day or half day tours to choose from, so you certainly won't get bored.

Have a great time! Where will you be living in Brisbane? We have just bought a house there and will be picking up the keys (and moving there permanently) on Sept 9th.

Netta
Old May 27th 2005, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice
Default Re: Hong Kong stop over - advice please - what shall we do

Originally Posted by ali south
Thanks Pat, the other option is economy plus with Eva air, then a stop over in Taipei, which would you say is the better choice, is Economy plus worth an extra £250 each when there is 4 of you??? Hong kong or Taipei for a stop over????
Tara
Hi Tara

I have just come back from Taipei 2 weeks ago... my husband finds it's difficult not able to speak Mandarin when you are tourist there. It was his first trip... Englishman in Taipei. I lived there for 5 years so have learned to speak the language. Taipei is very different from Hong Kong, to be fair, two cities have theirs own charm. But, Hong Kong is more funky and majority of the population do speak English so it is more "tourist friendly". My husband never dislike Hong Kong, he enjoy every single time he is there... shopping & eating in particular! Also, places of interest for kids/teenagers - Ocean Park, Space Museum, The Peak, street markets... & possibly Disneyland if you pre-book the tickets now for Nov! I was told it is difficult to get hold of tickets?

I was a frequent flyer between London & Hong Kong, I do admit the Economy Plus/Premium Economy - the extra leg room, bigger seat with foot rest & less passengers in the cabinet, all these worth the extra you paid for. Cathay Pacific doesn't have Economy Plus, but BA & Virgin have. Remember Cathay Pacific & BA allow check-in and select your seats on-line before the fly, not sure about Virgin.

Bon Voyage!

Pat

Last edited by wongstonn; May 27th 2005 at 6:43 am.