Hong Kong

Old May 8th 2005, 11:07 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hong Kong

Is it suitable as a stop of destination with two small children. We'd like to go there visa permitting. We've been to nearly every S.E asian country and would like to go somewhere different
Old May 8th 2005, 11:53 am
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: Hong Kong

Originally Posted by fraser
Is it suitable as a stop of destination with two small children. We'd like to go there visa permitting. We've been to nearly every S.E asian country and would like to go somewhere different
If you do go there can you get me the camera I am after and ship it back to me ! ! !

Too expensive in UK.

R.
Old May 8th 2005, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hong Kong

I can hear Mrs JTL running towards the PC

JTL
Old May 8th 2005, 12:16 pm
Gwyllt

gogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud of

Love HK, there's a truly massive kid's theme park actually, obviously not on the tourist brochures cos we were the only foreign devils there.

Honkers used to be worth it just for the descent between the office buildings(you were so close you could see their faces), but now the main airport is on
Lantau........but go see the Tian Tan Buddha while you're there.

And the software is first rate too!!
Old May 8th 2005, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it would be a great place to stop over. How long would you be planning to stop? If you are holding UK passports, you don't need a visa for visits up to 180 days, and for Australia passports, up to 90 days.

For the kids, you can't beat Ocean Park, well depends how old they are.
http://www.oceanpark.com.hk/f_index.html

Hong Kong Disneyland doesn't open until September 12th. When are you planning to be there?
http://www.hongkongdisneyland.com/eng/

Other things to do, though not necesarily kid related. Go to The Peak, has stunning views of Hong Kong, and good restaurants and a nice walk.

If you have extra time, visit Stanley market/beach, Repulse Bay, Lantau Island and Lamma Island. Loads of things to do and see, depending on your interests. If you need shopping tips for ladies, just give me a yell!

Hope that helps.

Mrs JTL
Old May 8th 2005, 12:27 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Yes, it would be a great place to stop over. How long would you be planning to stop? If you are holding UK passports, you don't need a visa for visits up to 180 days, and for Australia passports, up to 90 days.

For the kids, you can't beat Ocean Park, well depends how old they are.
http://www.oceanpark.com.hk/f_index.html

Hong Kong Disneyland doesn't open until September 12th. When are you planning to be there?
http://www.hongkongdisneyland.com/eng/

Other things to do, though not necesarily kid related. Go to The Peak, has stunning views of Hong Kong, and good restaurants and a nice walk.

If you have extra time, visit Stanley market/beach, Repulse Bay, Lantau Island and Lamma Island. Loads of things to do and see, depending on your interests. If you need shopping tips for ladies, just give me a yell!

Hope that helps.

Mrs JTL

Thanks all, the kids will be 4 and coming up to 2
Old May 8th 2005, 12:29 pm

If you need shopping tips for ladies, just give me a yell!

Hope that helps.

Mrs JTL
Thanks but shhhhhhhhhhhhh !!

We'd like to stay for at least 5 days

Last edited by fraser; May 8th 2005 at 12:34 pm.
Old May 8th 2005, 12:40 pm

Mrs.JTL is it as cheap for eating out ect as other far east countries and where's a good location to stay.
Old May 8th 2005, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Mrs.JTL is it as cheap for eating out ect as other far east countries and where's a good location to stay.
5 days will give you a good taste of HK.

Eating can be as cheap or as expensive as you like. You can have a nice bowl of wonton noodle soup for about HKD$30, or a full 5/6 course French dinner for over $1000 per head without the wine. It's definitely not as cheap as other SE Asian places but it can be very affordable if you eat more local food, rather than trying to get your proper English fish and chips, or a Sunday roast. There're more McDonald's per sq km than anywhere else on earth. McD's and Pizza Huts are always great backups especially for kids, and are much much cheaper than the UK.

Hotel prices vary a great deal. When are you going? I can give you some recommendations depending on your budget and requirements.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old May 8th 2005, 1:13 pm

5 days will give you a good taste of HK.

Eating can be as cheap or as expensive as you like. You can have a nice bowl of wonton noodle soup for about HKD$30, or a full 5/6 course French dinner for over $1000 per head without the wine. It's definitely not as cheap as other SE Asian places but it can be very affordable if you eat more local food, rather than trying to get your proper English fish and chips, or a Sunday roast. There're more McDonald's per sq km than anywhere else on earth. McD's and Pizza Huts are always great backups especially for kids, and are much much cheaper than the UK.

Hotel prices vary a great deal. When are you going? I can give you some recommendations depending on your budget and requirements.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL

Hopefully In September visa permitting. I've been to the far east numerous times and I love a bit of street food. We'll be looking at staying in a 4/5* hotel we'd like to be near the harbour
Old May 8th 2005, 1:19 pm

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

We stopped off in HK this year both to and from Perth with 3 small kids (1,4,7). The culture shock for them was amazing to watch! They really enjoyed it. My oldest son loved the markets for cheap gameboy games. The only thing was, we turned into more of a freak show than usual - this was because we had a very cute, small boy in a buggy with blonde hair and blue eyes (something they don't see!)

No word of a lie, we were in Madam Tussards at the top of the Peak and people were asking to take pictures of my kids!! At some points in the night market, there was a crowd around the buggy. A joke at first, but after a while, it really started to cheese us off.

I'd recommend it as a place to stop over - just to see the look on your kids faces!

I've got loads of photos etc. If you want more info, feel free to PM me.

Regards,

Jules
Old May 8th 2005, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by julesandco
Hi there,

We stopped off in HK this year both to and from Perth with 3 small kids (1,4,7). The culture shock for them was amazing to watch! They really enjoyed it. My oldest son loved the markets for cheap gameboy games. The only thing was, we turned into more of a freak show than usual - this was because we had a very cute, small boy in a buggy with blonde hair and blue eyes (something they don't see!)

No word of a lie, we were in Madam Tussards at the top of the Peak and people were asking to take pictures of my kids!! At some points in the night market, there was a crowd around the buggy. A joke at first, but after a while, it really started to cheese us off.

I'd recommend it as a place to stop over - just to see the look on your kids faces!

I've got loads of photos etc. If you want more info, feel free to PM me.

Regards,

Jules

Yeah we were in KL with them last year they were all stroking our 4 month baby. It'll be Henry our 3 yr olds third visit the far east
Old May 8th 2005, 1:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hopefully In September visa permitting. I've been to the far east numerous times and I love a bit of street food. We'll be looking at staying in a 4/5* hotel we'd like to be near the harbour
For a great location with harbourview, I can't recommend the three hotels at the Pacific Place (one of the premium shopping centres in HK) highly enough.

Marriott 4*
Conrad 5*
Island Shangri-La 5+* (not Kowloon Shangri-La)

All very very nice hotels. Near bus terminal for Ocean Park. Near Admiralty MTR (underground) station which is convenient to go just about everywhere in HK. Short walk (10/15 minutes) to the Peak Tram terminal. All buses that go to the beaches stop near the hotel on the other side of Queensway. There's also Hong Kong Park 5 minutes up the hill from these 3 hotels.

September is still sort of high season or end of high season, so the hotels can be a bit expensive then. Just check around for deals with airlines or travel agents. Cathay Pacific always has some offers for short stopovers.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old May 8th 2005, 1:28 pm

For a great location with harbourview, I can't recommend the three hotels at the Pacific Place (one of the premium shopping centres in HK) highly enough.

Marriott 4*
Conrad 5*
Island Shangri-La 5+* (not Kowloon Shangri-La)

All very very nice hotels. Near bus terminal for Ocean Park. Near Admiralty MTR (underground) station which is convenient to go just about everywhere in HK. Short walk (10/15 minutes) to the Peak Tram terminal. All buses that go to the beaches stop near the hotel on the other side of Queensway. There's also Hong Kong Park 5 minutes up the hill from these 3 hotels.

September is still sort of high season or end of high season, so the hotels can be a bit expensive then. Just check around for deals with airlines or travel agents. Cathay Pacific always has some offers for short stopovers.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL

We stayed in the 5* JW. Marriot in KL last year so that sounds good
Old May 8th 2005, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by julesandco
The only thing was, we turned into more of a freak show than usual - this was because we had a very cute, small boy in a buggy with blonde hair and blue eyes (something they don't see!)
That's quite shocking to hear your story! Do you mean they don't often see a very cute small boy in a buggy? Or they don't often see a small boy with blonde hair and blue eyes? It's highly likely that those were tourists from other parts of Asia/mainland China rather than locals.

People in HK are used to seeing tourists and expats from around the world. Everyone loves meeting a cute kid but not just because it's in a buggy, or because it's got blonde hair and blue eyes.

May be there were other reasons your kid was being stared at?!

Mrs JTL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.