Honeymoon Chaos

Old Oct 7th 2004, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future
Default Honeymoon Chaos

[off topic]

I refer to the terrorist attacks on the Hilton hotel in the taba area of egypt. Firstly let me say that I am absolutely gutted for those who have lost their lives and the family of those who have been killed and my heart goes out to all who are there at the moment.

Secondly can I say that I am also gutted because in just over two weeks Helen and I were due to depart to Taba (hotel close to the hilton) on our honeymoon!! Having already paid for the holiday we are now possibly £1300 out of pocket and without a honeymoon destination.

To say I am gutted is somewhat of an understatement. We were so looking forward to getting married and returning to the red sea where we had our first holiday and such a wonderful time.

We are just thankful that we were not there now and are immensely sorry for those injured or dead. That puts it all into perspective!

Dave & Helen
Old Oct 7th 2004, 11:47 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Honeymoon Chaos

Originally Posted by darkless
[off topic]

I refer to the terrorist attacks on the Hilton hotel in the taba area of egypt. Firstly let me say that I am absolutely gutted for those who have lost their lives and the family of those who have been killed and my heart goes out to all who are there at the moment.

Secondly can I say that I am also gutted because in just over two weeks Helen and I were due to depart to Taba (hotel close to the hilton) on our honeymoon!! Having already paid for the holiday we are now possibly £1300 out of pocket and without a honeymoon destination.

To say I am gutted is somewhat of an understatement. We were so looking forward to getting married and returning to the red sea where we had our first holiday and such a wonderful time.

We are just thankful that we were not there now and are immensely sorry for those injured or dead. That puts it all into perspective!

Dave & Helen
God you must be gutted.......

That is absolutely rotten luck. Tragic too for those who lost their lives.

I visited the hotel in Kenya (can't remember its name) a few years before it was blown to smithereens by terrorists. I wonder though, is it a case of 'does lightning strike twice in the same place'? Having said that, would you feel safe going there? I hope that whatever you decide, that you find a way to still have a honeymoon. Good luck and best wishes.

Tony.
Old Oct 7th 2004, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by tonyk38
God you must be gutted.......

That is absolutely rotten luck. Tragic too for those who lost their lives.

I visited the hotel in Kenya (can't remember its name) a few years before it was blown to smithereens by terrorists. I wonder though, is it a case of 'does lightning strike twice in the same place'? Having said that, would you feel safe going there? I hope that whatever you decide, that you find a way to still have a honeymoon. Good luck and best wishes.

Tony.
Thanks Tony,

To be honest the 'lightning striking twice theory' was something I thought of, but after consideration we a) though it best not to risk it b) we couldnt put our parents through a week of hell worrying about us and c) Helen has a son, it would not be right to put our lives at risk.

Just reading my insurance policy and it looks like that unless the government adds Egypt to their list of places they recommend that British Citizens dont travel to, then we will not be covered. Since the Bali bombings apparently they don't cover acts of terrorism as part of the travel insurance!

Old Oct 8th 2004, 9:28 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Get on to your travel company, in the circumstances, they may be able to move you to another area/resort on the Red Sea further down in Egypt away from the Israeli border.
Old Oct 10th 2004, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

igual will become famous soon enoughigual will become famous soon enough

Hi,
A similar thing happened to us, although not a honeymoon, just a holiday! We were supposed to be flying to Egypt on Sept 13th, just after the terrorist attack on sept 11th. Because everything was a little unknown then we were also very nervous about flying to Egypt. We phoned the airline, explained our concerns and got a full refund, no problem! Maybe you should do the same, definately worth a phonecall! (air italia, think thats the spelling)
goodluck
Fiona