Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Honest Opinions of Living/Working in Australia (Adelaide)

Honest Opinions of Living/Working in Australia (Adelaide)

Old Mar 31st 2015, 6:07 pm
Waiting to move!

nairn545 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Honest Opinions of Living/Working in Australia (Adelaide)

Hi everyone. I have recently been granted a 489 visa for South Australia. I am planning to make the move in January 2016 and want to know honest opinions from people who have made the move from the UK on what it is like to live/work there. I don't want the pros and cons of the visa type, just what its like to live, as I quite often read negative comments on many forums. I am well aware that we still have to work and clean the toilet and that it rains! I have been out 3 times to Adelaide for up to 5 weeks at a time and I have family that already live there.

So, please fire away!
Old Apr 1st 2015, 7:49 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Honest Opinions of Living/Working in Australia (Adelaide)

We live in the southern foothills. ROMFT works in the city but also travels for work. Parking in the city is expensive, so he usually takes his motorbike. Traffic can be busy at peak times, but IMO, better than a similar sized city in the UK such as Nottingham.

Public transport is pretty good, with most suburbs having reasonable access to buses, trains or trams. We are about 30 mins from the city, 15 mins from the nearest beach and 5 mins from the Hills.

We find the weather quite tolerable, even the 40+ days, as the humidity is largely very low. Being in the Hills, we do get a bit of wind, but that helps to keep temps down. I do find the winters cold, but that's because of the lack of central heating, which really does make the houses seem cold, even one like ours which unusually, is solid brick built.

I love the blue skies, and when we do get rain, it is usually just for a short period. Rarely a day goes by without catching a glimpse of blue sky.

We have 2 kids, and they are incredibly busy with after school activities and sports. Their school and scout group really encourage family participation and involvement in activities, which really helps with getting to know people and community involvement. I can't comment on other schools or scout groups, this is just our experience and you may not have kids!

You haven't said how old you are, but I'm told the clubs and pubs in the city are good, if you know the ones to go to. And don't forget all the festivals that happen. We have just had Womadelaide and the Fringe, but there is usually something going on somewhere. People say Adelaide is quiet, but I am of the opinion that if you want to do something, you will find something to do.

Having family here will certainly make things easier for you as they will be able to help you find places to go etc.

There is quite a north/south split here. A southern person wouldn't dream of living north and vice versa (I am generalising), but there is a lot of passion and pride in SA.

I like it here. As you say, life carries on and you still have the same stuff to do each day, but being new, there will be lots to explore. Don't be afraid to travel further afield and have a bit of an adventure. We haven't had much chance to do so yet, but we do hope to explore places like the Riverland and the Barossa.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 12:07 pm
Waiting to move!

Thanks for the reply. Its quite nice to read a positive post!

We would be looking at living in the south of the city, McLaren Vale/Flat area as this is where my family is and some of our friends. I have heard about the North/South split and personally I would rather live out of the city and commute daily. I am also a biker, so would probably commute by motorbike as well.

We have a 2 year old daughter, so for me I'm hoping she will love the outdoor lifestyle and will join in a lot of clubs and activities.

As I said in my first post, we have been several times before and absolutely love it and for me its a no brainer to emigrate, because in my opinion the UK doesn't have much better to offer!

I'm not much of a big city person, so for me Adelaide is the perfect place. I am aware of all the festivals that happen and the Clipsal 500 which I am looking forward to going to one day.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 9:00 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nairn545
Thanks for the reply. Its quite nice to read a positive post!

We would be looking at living in the south of the city, McLaren Vale/Flat area as this is where my family is and some of our friends. I have heard about the North/South split and personally I would rather live out of the city and commute daily. I am also a biker, so would probably commute by motorbike as well.

We have a 2 year old daughter, so for me I'm hoping she will love the outdoor lifestyle and will join in a lot of clubs and activities.

As I said in my first post, we have been several times before and absolutely love it and for me its a no brainer to emigrate, because in my opinion the UK doesn't have much better to offer!

I'm not much of a big city person, so for me Adelaide is the perfect place. I am aware of all the festivals that happen and the Clipsal 500 which I am looking forward to going to one day.
The Vale/Flat are lovely areas and of course some fantastic wineries and restaurants. With the new southern expressway it should make the commute to the city reasonably quick. Good luck with the move and if we can be of an help, just shout out.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 10:04 am
Waiting to move!

Only experienced a few wineries in the area, so that will definitely be on the list of things to do when we arrive! The old expressway never really made any sense, but at least you can go both ways now at any time!

Thanks for your thoughts and I'll no doubt have more questions nearer to the time.
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 1:55 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nairn545
Only experienced a few wineries in the area, so that will definitely be on the list of things to do when we arrive! The old expressway never really made any sense, but at least you can go both ways now at any time!

Thanks for your thoughts and I'll no doubt have more questions nearer to the time.
January is the start of vintage when the grapes are being harvested - busy time for the vineyards. Also means that there's more casual work around