Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Be honest! Did you move to Australia because you are a f**wit?

Be honest! Did you move to Australia because you are a f**wit?

Old Jun 17th 2009, 4:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Be honest! Did you move to Australia because you are a f**wit?

or - just wanted an 'easier', 'richer', life. Come on now! Tell us...

Although I'd rather hear about the cases of people where they moved to Australia genuinely because they wanted the adventure...[Being bored/listless/over-worked/needing a break] is allowed and not seen as a weakness. We all make mistakes, or not, in the case of some.

Wanting a bigger boat, house, beach not a weakness either.

Only fair that I open - me - approached a decision point at c.30. Took redundancy - was burning out (after being an expat already - ironically enough) - wanted a change and a break in a stable, liveable country. I must have been really tired.. The adventurer in me was calling out for what I thought Australia might offer ME (as it happened, I got what was suited, plus more, although it was not what I thought I would get). I also thought I might save some money on setting up here with my wife - which we did.

Anyone prepared to admit they were under the pump/underachieving in the UK and wanted to take what they thought would be an easier option? Disclaimer - we all know that we work harder than in Europe. (I don't - I'm just saying I do to get this post past the police).

Prepared to admit that you had the potential to work harder in the UK, but couldn't be arsed? Me - to an extent...but I am senior now compared to where I was in the UK - but I owe that to the passage of time...

cheers

B
Old Jun 17th 2009, 4:52 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default Re: Be honest! Did you move to Australia because you are a f**wit?

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Prepared to admit that you had the potential to work harder in the UK, but couldn't be arsed?
Well yeah probably - not so much my reason for coming here in the first place (that was boredom, wanderlust etc etc) - but definately my reason for not going back earlier - I was scared of having to work hard!!

Now of course I'm thinking that with me working a 60hr week (20hrs unpaid overtime) I've made the wrong choice and perhaps should consider returning!
Old Jun 17th 2009, 4:53 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yep.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 4:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yep.
Not the answer I wanted to hear from you Polly(!)
Old Jun 17th 2009, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Re trained at uni for 4 years as a geologist and no mining in the UK meant i always knew i would end up somewhere out of the UK. Had offers for a few different places around the world, but the best job was in Australia. Dont know if we will stay forever, but are happy at the moment. I fancied Canada, and had a offer but OH wasnt keen on the cold
Old Jun 17th 2009, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Why did I come?

I was bored in a job I could do with my eyes shut and could of carried on until I drew my comfortable pension. I was in my forties and didn't want to wake up one day wishing I had done it. All my family live here and we had spent many holidays here and enjoyed them.

I don't have a boat, nor a larger house or better car. What I do have is the same as the UK a comfortable standard of living in a place with a better climate that I enjoy with some good friends that we have made.

I forgot to add that I am a f***wit on the odd occasion

John
Old Jun 17th 2009, 5:37 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Not the answer I wanted to hear from you Polly(!)
But probably the answer you expected
Old Jun 17th 2009, 5:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jond
I forgot to add that I am a f***wit on the odd occasion
I'll drink to that!
Old Jun 17th 2009, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

More options for the kids - extra passport and all that.
Also, didn't really want to go back and be stuck in the UK after spending 5 years in SE Asia - but didn't want the insecurity of staying in international 'postings'.

The thought of England from October to April makes me depressed. (Apart from Christmas of course which I think England does better than anywhere else I've been).
Old Jun 17th 2009, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

But probably the answer you expected
Not at all mate
Old Jun 17th 2009, 5:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
More options for the kids - extra passport and all that.
Also, didn't really want to go back and be stuck in the UK after spending 5 years in SE Asia - but didn't want the insecurity of staying in international 'postings'.
Know what you mean. I distinctly remember coming here for a year off and NOT choosing Asia, South America because I was too drained to cope with any of those - and - I thought I might work, and stay for a while too.

Anyone feel that they might have stayed in the Uk and been moreorless where they are now anyhow? That it all was much of a muchness, no regrets, infact either way?

All in the name of debate - I'm not asking anyone to see little kittens in inkblots.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 5:46 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a ****wit and so is my wife.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Know what you mean. I distinctly remember coming here for a year off and NOT choosing Asia, South America because I was too drained to cope with any of those - and - I thought I might work, and stay for a while too.

Anyone feel that they might have stayed in the Uk and been moreorless where they are now anyhow? That it all was much of a muchness, no regrets, infact either way?

All in the name of debate - I'm not asking anyone to see little kittens in inkblots.
Not really. I stood still for 4 years career wise. I remember in the UK going for an Assistant Principal role in 2004. Didn't get the job but had an interview. If I'd got the job I'd now probably be on about 20K GBP more than I am now.

So probably a big financial cost to us. It doesn't seem to bother me too much though.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - I'm a f***wit loser who lives in a redneck shithole
Old Jun 17th 2009, 8:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Yep.
LOL Polly, we are definitely on the same page today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.