Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Homesickness (People not the place)

Homesickness (People not the place)

Old Apr 21st 2007, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

Happy feet is just really niceHappy feet is just really niceHappy feet is just really niceHappy feet is just really niceHappy feet is just really niceHappy feet is just really niceHappy feet is just really niceHappy feet is just really nice
Default Homesickness (People not the place)

Hi Ya Everyone
I've been in Oz for about a year, since January its been really hard for me here, a close family member called yesterday to say goodbye as the Big C has took it grip very quickly and my sis has just had baby which is very sick.

My problem is I feel very guilty,
I love it here, we both have good jobs and my kids are finally starting to settling in now, and plus its working out for us here as a family.
I don't miss England its just the people i miss, can any one relate to how im feeling?

Thanks for listening to my ranting ons
HF

Last edited by Happy feet; Apr 21st 2007 at 3:16 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 3:21 pm
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesickness (Peole not the place)

Originally Posted by Happy feet
Hi Ya Everyone
I've been in Oz for about a year, since January its been really hard for me here, a close family member called yesterday to say goodbye as the Big C has took it grip very quickly and my sis has just had baby which is very sick.

My problem is I feel very guilty,
I love it here, we both have good jobs and my kids are finally starting to settling in now, and plus its working out for us here as a family.
I don't miss England its just the people i miss, can any one relate to how im feeling?

Thanks for listening to ranting on
HF
We have, on paper, a great life here until you add in a family situation , then we are ****ed, just the 2 of us and 24yrs from home.
Kev
Old Apr 21st 2007, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Happy feet is just really niceHappy feet is just really niceHappy feet is just really niceHappy feet is just really niceHappy feet is just really niceHappy feet is just really niceHappy feet is just really niceHappy feet is just really nice
Default Re: Homesickness (Peole not the place)

Originally Posted by kevinl
We have, on paper, a great life here until you add in a family situation , then we are ****ed, just the 2 of us and 24yrs from home.
Kev

Yip thats sums it up about 100%
HF
Old Apr 21st 2007, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Homesickness (People not the place)

Sorry to hear you've had upsetting news, thing is, it would be upsetting if you were there. Its easy in a moment of guilt to think its all so awful because you are not there to experience this with everyone. Most of us miss our family more than the place, which is often the thing keeping us here, we all come to live in a different place with what we hope and perceive to be better choices and a better lifestyle.

Thing is for those that move half way round the world, the price to pay is missing our family and friends. Family relationships don't have to be sacrificed, the practicalities of them just need to change. I for one speak to my mother far more now, the conversations with my sister have become far more deep and honest. At times I miss them so much it overwhelms me, thing is I'm honest with myself about this, take the time to think about them, call them if I can.

Get the support you need to deal with this here by being honest with yourself and sharing with others how you feel. Bottled up this could make you feel allot worse.

Maybe its also wise to look at how we all might deal with things before something upsetting and awful happens, with a clear head running through the scenarios saying what your going to do if.......

I hope this helps, you will know by how many people visit this site that your not alone.

Take good care

Tracey
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

Homesickness (People) is exactly why I'm going home in June after 6 months in Perth.

Although I also miss England, if my family and friends were all out here I would probably stay but that isn't gonna happen, so I'd rather be close to friends and family than stay over here.

I wouldn't feel guilty though, I'm sure you're family understand your situation.

All the best.
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 3:14 am
Just Joined

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys, it amazing how a few kind words can make you feel better
Good luck in your Journey back the UK Wafc.Hope everything works out for you and your family.
Cheers Tracey for the sound advice it did help alot.
Kim