Homesickness

Old Jan 5th 2004, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

parrot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Homesickness

Hi, just wanted to say I can sympathise with what you're going through. We got to Melbourne about a month ago and left behind all our family and friends in the UK. I've found Christmas and new year especially hard as it's the time of year when you see people more than usual and I'm also very close to my mum and it was hard being away from her. We're beginning to settle in and look for jobs and our neighbours have been very friendly. I'm sure it's a matter of time - finding a job and meeting people through that (that's what I'm telling myself too!) and getting out and about, although it can feel very daunting if you know noone. If you want to PM me and have a chat and possibly meet up, let me know.
Parrot
Old Jan 5th 2004, 2:19 am
owieb

Originally posted by nickyc
Hope I didn't give anyone that impression. I've never been homesick - not even for a nanosecond. Nothing would induce me to go back to the UK for anything other than a holiday.
Now there's four of us who have never felt homesick, hooray!

Old Jan 5th 2004, 8:30 am
Just Joined

Wheresthesense is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Homesickness

Originally posted by Lany
To all of you who have already made the move...how did u deal with the homesickness? I have been in oz 3 months and I still can't deal with it, I miss my family so much that sometimes I just sit and cry for hours. We moved here cuz my hubbys from here and wanted to come home, i expected it to be easier than what it has been. I havent been able to work cuz I'm still waiting for residency and I don't know when I'll get that cuz I've had a health scare so they won't give me it until that gets sorted. Everyone on here seems to really like australia and the way of life and Im really envious because at the minute I don't. I really want to like it but I'm just so miserable! I have no friends although maybe that'll happen when I start working. sorry to ramble but I just want to know if anyone else has felt like this and how it turned out for them. Thanks
Hi Lany

Know how you feel. Moved to Melbourne in May and we are still feeling the same. It gets better some days and it was worse over Christmas. We are still staying and just getting on with it.

Happy to meet up with you and the hubby/family if you'd like to meet and make friends.

Just send an email.

Cheers

Steve and Julia
Melbourne
Old Jan 5th 2004, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I hope all you guys manage to get together in Melbourne... another good thing about this forum, getting to make new friends!!
Old Jan 5th 2004, 8:59 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by owieb
Now there's four of us who have never felt homesick, hooray!
Make it five...

I've never been homesick. I think it's because I make wherever I am my home - wherever I lay my hat and all that. And with a family that lives all over the world anyway, I have a slightly different perspective.
Old Jan 5th 2004, 9:20 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I think in some cases its not so much missing "home" - cos I already consider Queensland to be home, its a case of missing "familiarity" - both things and people.
Old Jan 5th 2004, 9:26 am
Just Joined

Wheresthesense is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pollyana
I think in some cases its not so much missing "home" - cos I already consider Queensland to be home, its a case of missing "familiarity" - both things and people.
You are right. And our memories of the good things are better than the memory of the bad things...

Home is based on comfort, having people who care about us and familiarity however...
Old Jan 5th 2004, 9:41 am
owieb

Originally posted by bundy
Make it five...
This reminds me of the last episode of BlackAdder 1; all we need now is three-fingered Pete and we'll be invincible!