Reload this Page >

Homes West-Anybody any info?

Homes West-Anybody any info?

Old Apr 6th 2004, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

dibrucewillis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Homes West-Anybody any info?

Just wondered if anybody knows much about what "Homes West" means

Been looking at quite a few Northern suburbs and a couple of the areas which I have mentioned to people prompt an immediate reaction " Oh you need to be careful buying in that area because there are quite a few Homes West homes there"

Can anybody shed any light on this

Di
Old Apr 6th 2004, 8:25 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homes West-Anybody any info?

Originally posted by dibrucewillis

Been looking at quite a few Northern suburbs and a couple of the areas which I have mentioned to people prompt an immediate reaction " Oh you need to be careful buying in that area because there are quite a few Homes West homes there"

Di
I think it's what they call 'council' housing in the UK??

Here, found the website:
http://www.housing.wa.gov.au/LoadFra...omes_intro.cfm (for Netscape)
http://www.housing.wa.gov.au/index_IE.cfm (for IE, go to rental homes)

The Department of Housing and Works, through Homeswest, provides rental accommodation for more than 39,000 families on low to moderate incomes.
The Department owns some 39,000 rental properties throughout the state and has an ongoing capital works program to buy and build additional homes to increase its housing stock.

I don't think areas with lots should necceserally(sp?) be classified as bad area's, though some area's are probably worse than others.
Old Apr 6th 2004, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks very much Simone.

I had put a search in Google but I had not managed to find anything.

Di
Old Apr 6th 2004, 9:31 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much Simone.

I had put a search in Google but I had not managed to find anything.

Di
Yeah, I didn't find it with google first either, then I remembered something about it being joined together.
Type in 'homeswest wa' and ta ta!! First link
Old Apr 6th 2004, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Dawn Adams will become famous soon enough

Di
Homeswest is a government department, now re-invented as Department of Housing and Works. http://www.dhw.wa.gov.au/index_IE.cfm

At one time it was policy to built all the public housing in one area, and then they figured this wasn't such a good idea so now the department purchases land at random in new subdivisions. No matter how much you pay for your block, you could find public housing being built next door.

In an attempt to dilute the number of conglomerate rentals in the older areas, the Department has a policy of selling a percentage of their housing stock each year. If you have been renting for a number of years and wish to buy, there are significant savings to get you started.
Old Apr 6th 2004, 9:39 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Simone82
I think it's what they call 'council' housing in the UK??

I don't think areas with lots should necceserally(sp?) be classified as bad area's, though some area's are probably worse than others.
I think the feeling may be that in areas where some tenants don't look after their homes as carefully as owner occupiers, it can keep house prices down, hence a "bad" area to buy into.

Please don't take offence - not making any assumptions about anyone in particular, but my sister in Adelaide feels that's the perception in some of the suburbs there.

Elaine
Old Apr 7th 2004, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

There was a big deal about there being Homeswest houses up at Brighton a new estate in the northern burbs of Perth. When a friend bought land there it showed on the plans where these houses would be - I think it was shown with a red cross, so if people wanted to avoid being next to them they could. There are supposed to be Homeswest houses in every suburb though. In some areas you wouldn't have a clue which they were, others it's more obvious.

Loopy
Old Apr 7th 2004, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Loopy
There was a big deal about there being Homeswest houses up at Brighton a new estate in the northern burbs of Perth. When a friend bought land there it showed on the plans where these houses would be - I think it was shown with a red cross, so if people wanted to avoid being next to them they could. There are supposed to be Homeswest houses in every suburb though. In some areas you wouldn't have a clue which they were, others it's more obvious.

Loopy
Hi loopy

Brighton is the area that we are most interested in and somebody had told me that they proposed to have one in twelve house allocated for Homeswest families

We actually have the plans with the current lots that are available and there is no indication as to where these homes will be situated.

Di
Old Apr 7th 2004, 9:12 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Hi loopy

Brighton is the area that we are most interested in and somebody had told me that they proposed to have one in twelve house allocated for Homeswest families

We actually have the plans with the current lots that are available and there is no indication as to where these homes will be situated.

Di
Don't be to worried about Homes West. Again, bought on by.....

ENGLISH SNOBBERY!!!

We have some friends who built in Brighton last year. They paid $140,000 for the house and land. It's now worth well over $220,000 because the land next door called Jindalee has been bought by Americans (as told by their real estate agent), this area will be prime development land making Brighton an excellent suburb to live in.

I also have an Aussie friend, without Homeswest she wouldn't have anywhere to live. It doesn't make her a bad person. It's mostly the British that start the rumours of bad areas etc...
Old Apr 7th 2004, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Janeyray

Thanks for the reassurance ,just sent you a PM

Di
Old Apr 7th 2004, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Just for the record I wasn't saying Homeswest housing is good/bad just some people prefer not to live next to it. There was a great hoo haa (how do spell that then?) when people found out about it at Brighton, but it can be anywhere & you may never know!

Di, I work at Brighton so go there every day & know lots of peeps there so if you need to know anything fire away. They should be starting to build the shops etc there soon & the school is expanding.

Loopy
Old Apr 7th 2004, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Loopy
Just for the record I wasn't saying Homeswest housing is good/bad just some people prefer not to live next to it. There was a great hoo haa (how do spell that then?) when people found out about it at Brighton, but it can be anywhere & you may never know!

Di, I work at Brighton so go there every day & know lots of peeps there so if you need to know anything fire away. They should be starting to build the shops etc there soon & the school is expanding.

Loopy
Thanks Loopy

Have just sent you a pm

Di