Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Homemade Sloe Gin

Homemade Sloe Gin

Old Nov 25th 2006, 2:24 pm
redlion

redlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Homemade Sloe Gin

Hello all you lovely peeps out there. Is there any way i can take my 6 bottles of homemade Sloe Gin with me when we go? its not ready yet and wont be until september, obviously i know i will have to take the fruit out before then but am i able to take it into oz with us??

Please please say yes there is a way, cos im gonna be well mardy if i have to give the bloody stuff away :scared:

Nev.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 2:49 pm
We Have Arrived!

Jodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud of
Default Re: Homemade Sloe Gin

Originally Posted by redlion
Hello all you lovely peeps out there. Is there any way i can take my 6 bottles of homemade Sloe Gin with me when we go? its not ready yet and wont be until september, obviously i know i will have to take the fruit out before then but am i able to take it into oz with us??

Please please say yes there is a way, cos im gonna be well mardy if i have to give the bloody stuff away :scared:

Nev.
Unfortunately I have heard alchohol can't be taken with you - however I am more than willing to look after it for you my address is ......

I would be interested in this thread to see if this is possible we have a sentimental bottle of unopened whisky my hubbie might have to drink before we go!

Good luck Nev!
Old Nov 25th 2006, 2:52 pm
redlion

redlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jodie n' Mark
Unfortunately I have heard alchohol can't be taken with you - however I am more than willing to look after it for you my address is ......

I would be interested in this thread to see if this is possible we have a sentimental bottle of unopened whisky my hubbie might have to drink before we go!

Good luck Nev!
Thanks, i believe you can take alcohol in to oz but you pay tax on it but im asking the question because obviously my sloe gin is not proper bottled stuff and doesnt show alcohol content etc, as for giving it away i think i would rather sup the lot while its 'green' before giving it away, jesus what a night that will be :scared:

Nev.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 10:39 pm
redlion

has nobody got an answer to this???? surely somebody out there has taken some booze to oz??

Nev
Old Nov 26th 2006, 12:48 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

has nobody got an answer to this???? surely somebody out there has taken some booze to oz??

Nev
On the shipping booze itself side, there are several threads - heres one to start you off -

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...shipping+booze

and theres a link in it to another good one from the archives. Andrew63 still posts so you could ask him if any of his was homemade. The other person who might know is Mr Mover - try a pm to him
Old Nov 26th 2006, 4:47 pm
redlion

Originally Posted by Pollyana
On the shipping booze itself side, there are several threads - heres one to start you off -

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...shipping+booze

and theres a link in it to another good one from the archives. Andrew63 still posts so you could ask him if any of his was homemade. The other person who might know is Mr Mover - try a pm to him

Thankyou pollyana,

Nev.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 2:12 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Nev
We have a friend who's dad makes Sloe Gin in the UK, whenever she comes to visit she brings over a bottle of the latest vintage in her hand luggage. Never had any problems (last bottle was xmas 05)
Not sure how viable this is now though with the changes to what you can bring on the plane with you.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 4:56 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Nev.
I brought my single malt collection in our container & had no problems.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Nico has a spectacular aura aboutNico has a spectacular aura aboutNico has a spectacular aura about

Thanks to the information that you can't take booze into Oz with you I now finally have some idea what I can usefully do while I wait for my visa. All those weird undrinkable things that have come with me on every house move so far will obviously now have to be humanely disposed of... Sadly no sloe gin, but someone gave me a bottle of Scottish gooseberry wine.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

Leeds_to_Perth will become famous soon enoughLeeds_to_Perth will become famous soon enough

You can take alcohol in with you - 2.25 litres per adult on the plane is the duty free limit.

You can ship alcohol over but you will have to pay duty on it. If anyone has any exceptional European wine worth more than £10 a bottle then it's worth taking over as trying to buy the equivalent over here could be more than the cost of the wine and the tax added.
Most brands of spirit -gins/vodka/whiskey/rum etc can be found in Aus if you look hard enough, though single malts are either expensive or non-existant.
Of Wine there is an abundance, and if you like yours full and fruity you won't be disappointed with even the cheapest of the home grown stuff here.
WA wines are particularly good
Old Nov 29th 2006, 7:06 pm
redlion

Originally Posted by Leeds_to_Perth
You can take alcohol in with you - 2.25 litres per adult on the plane is the duty free limit.

You can ship alcohol over but you will have to pay duty on it. If anyone has any exceptional European wine worth more than £10 a bottle then it's worth taking over as trying to buy the equivalent over here could be more than the cost of the wine and the tax added.
Most brands of spirit -gins/vodka/whiskey/rum etc can be found in Aus if you look hard enough, though single malts are either expensive or non-existant.
Of Wine there is an abundance, and if you like yours full and fruity you won't be disappointed with even the cheapest of the home grown stuff here.
WA wines are particularly good
The only reason i am asking about home made sloe gin is because i have already made it and i have 5 bottles of the stuff, so it would be expensive to just dump it and giving it away is totally against the grain tee hee.

Nev.