Reload this Page >

Homemade Brown Bread (Irish)

Homemade Brown Bread (Irish)

Old Dec 5th 2006, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

bettyandbertie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Homemade Brown Bread (Irish)

G'day,

We are currently in Brisbane and wondering where we can buy Wheaten meal in order to make Brown Bread.

Any assistance would be greatly apprecieated.

Regards,

Burt
Old Dec 5th 2006, 11:22 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Homemade Brown Bread (Irish)

Originally Posted by bettyandbertie
G'day,

We are currently in Brisbane and wondering where we can buy Wheaten meal in order to make Brown Bread.

Regards,

Burt

Your best bet for this sort of thing is to locate a co-op health food store type place, which stocks organic food - flour, seeds, nuts, grains etc.
I have this up here. I'm sure it must exist in Brisbane.

I found a directory by googling. Perhaps a phone call through to some of these people will help.

http://www.brisbaneorganicmarket.com/products.html

Just as an addition, by wheaten, I'm checking you mean 'Whole grain' flour, right? As in 'wholemeal'?

Australian flour is processed far more than UK or Irish bread flours and pretty much everything is removed from it over here. If you look for a wholemeal flour, you end up with a really pale immitation of what you get in the UK. But if you go into a whole grain co-op type place, you can purchase the bran and grains (kibbled) to put back into the flour to make it the same as we'd get in Europe.

You can also get Lauke mixes for bread machines and the German Grain bread is pretty much what we'd get in the UK, though Australians think it 'dark'.

HTH

Last edited by iPom; Dec 5th 2006 at 11:32 am.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bettyandbertie
G'day,

Regards,

Burt
Hi Burt - do you mean Irish Brown Soda Bread. I've looked everywhere and can't get it here, so decided to make my own. Couldn't be simpler (it was the first thing I learnt to cook in Domestic Science )

450g coarse wholemeal flour
175 g plain white flour
1 rounded teaspoon bread soad (bicarb of soda)
1 teaspoon salt
450 ml buttermilk or sour milk

Mix dry ingredients. Stir in enough milk to make a fairly soft dough. Turn onto work surface dusted with w/meal flour and knead lightly until smooth underneath. Form into a circle about 4cm thick and place on baking sheet. Mark a deep cross in the top with a floured knife. Bake for about 45 minutes at 180 (fan) until bread is browned and sounds hollow when tapped on the base. Cool on a wire rack, wrapped in a clean tea towel to keep the crust soft. Enjoy! Michelle x
Old Dec 5th 2006, 8:25 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JohnandMichelle
Hi Burt - do you mean Irish Brown Soda Bread. I've looked everywhere and can't get it here, so decided to make my own. Couldn't be simpler (it was the first thing I learnt to cook in Domestic Science )

450g coarse wholemeal flour
175 g plain white flour
1 rounded teaspoon bread soad (bicarb of soda)
1 teaspoon salt
450 ml buttermilk or sour milk

Mix dry ingredients. Stir in enough milk to make a fairly soft dough. Turn onto work surface dusted with w/meal flour and knead lightly until smooth underneath. Form into a circle about 4cm thick and place on baking sheet. Mark a deep cross in the top with a floured knife. Bake for about 45 minutes at 180 (fan) until bread is browned and sounds hollow when tapped on the base. Cool on a wire rack, wrapped in a clean tea towel to keep the crust soft. Enjoy! Michelle x

And when you say 'coarse wholemeal flour' where do you get yours? Supermarket flour is not what I'd call coarse at all. Do you add in the bran that's been removed?
Old Dec 5th 2006, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iPom
And when you say 'coarse wholemeal flour' where do you get yours? Supermarket flour is not what I'd call coarse at all. Do you add in the bran that's been removed?
That's on my Irish recipe Haven't seen it here yet, so just buy w/meal - bread tastes fairly authentic (if I say so myself!) but may try the organic places that you mentioned - maybe Mrs Flannery's for the good stuff Michelle x
Old Dec 8th 2006, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

bettyandbertie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JohnandMichelle
That's on my Irish recipe Haven't seen it here yet, so just buy w/meal - bread tastes fairly authentic (if I say so myself!) but may try the organic places that you mentioned - maybe Mrs Flannery's for the good stuff Michelle x

Thanks everybody for your replies. We are going to try with whole meal flour with extra bran and oats for a nutty crust. At least there is no problem getting buttermilk!!

Thanks,

Burt