Homebush Sydney

Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Homebush Sydney

Hi Guys
Well the day is getting closer and a week today we will be in Singapore for a night stopover on our way to a new life in Sydney.
We have spent months looking on the property web sites to find somewhere on our budget of under $500 per week for two bedroomed appartment and we have seen a lot of nice places around the Homebush area - including one brand new block that will be ready for just after we arrive.
The area is looks handy for me as i need to be able to get to the airport regularly and OH will just look for part time work close to where ever we live. But, never having been to Sydney before we were wondering what it would be like to be able to get from Homebush to central Sydney. As although we wont have to go every day for work, we would like to be able to go to a restraunt there and things.
Has anybody lived there?
Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Russ_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really nice
Default Re: Homebush Sydney

Not sure ...but good look with it..you must be well excited about the move now!!

we are going out to Sydney on a 457 in september...keep us posted with how its all going..
Old Apr 27th 2008, 10:33 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know it well but Homebush wouldn't be my choice of suburb if I had $500pw for a 2 bed apartment... Try the Inner West or East areas, they're all within your budget and much nicer, more interesting, easier access to the city, etc...
Old Apr 27th 2008, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DrWho
I don't know it well but Homebush wouldn't be my choice of suburb if I had $500pw for a 2 bed apartment... Try the Inner West or East areas, they're all within your budget and much nicer, more interesting, easier access to the city, etc...
Totally agree. $500 would get a decent 2 b/r apartment just about anywhere - including much nicer areas than Homebush.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies guys, though there are other criteria that OH requires. Must have a balcony with a nice view, (pref sea view), must be modern or new, probably going to have to be of a reasonable size as i hate the Australian thing of open plan living - much prefer a seperate kitchen
I need to be able to get to the airport and back as i will be working away two weeks on one off and will need to be able to get there for 6am.
When we look on realestate and domain we are being as flexible as possible and are looking as far north as Manly and as far south as Cronolla, but Homebush and Cronolla are the only ones that every have anything "nice" in budget
Old Apr 27th 2008, 10:58 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
... Must have a balcony with a nice view, (pref sea view)...
And you're looking at Homebush...
Old Apr 27th 2008, 11:11 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

I need to be able to get to the airport and back as i will be working away two weeks on one off and will need to be able to get there for 6am.
I know not by the sea, but to give you an idea of timing, OH frequently flies out - Taxi from Pymble (in last 2wks, domestic flights) leaving at 5.30 arr at airport 6.05, leaving at 6am, arr 6.40. Returning in evenings sometime queue for taxi can be long and takes a little bit longer to get out of airport, so about 45mins.

The waterview will add to the price tag, so why pay for this perk when you will be away half the time, dark most of time when at home (assuming you have 9 to 5ish job), and can easly get to sea/harbour area/beach from many places?
Old Apr 27th 2008, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for that. I know i will be away a lot, but OH will be at home all of the time so it is imporatant to her. I dont mind having a longer commute to the airport - heck we even applied for a place in Curl Curl, but we wont sacrifice the appartment being modern, (we have spent the last 8 years in a old house and i hate it) and the view is important as even if OH does work it will probably from home
Old Apr 27th 2008, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

I would imagine public transport from homebush would be OK as there is are ferry, trains and buses that all serve the Olympic Park.
For more detailed info on pulbic transport put the details into http://www.131500.info/realtime/default.asp and that will give you an idea of travel times.

Rhodes and Meadowbank all have new appartments being released now with water views. Also both within walking distance of train stations and would be a similar commute for the airport as Homebush)
I personally find homebush a bit souless with no real centre or hub and would rather live at one of these places, but accept everyone is different.....

Try Putney
http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Prop...x?adid=4114294
or meadowbank
http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Prop...x?adid=4314531
or Rhodes
http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Prop...x?adid=5640361

Good Luck with the move!

Last edited by Katherined0; Apr 27th 2008 at 11:52 am.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for that Katherined0
They are stunning and just what we are looking for. I hadnt considered these areas. I have e mailed the agents.
Many thanks
Chris
Old Apr 27th 2008, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

upyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to all

Thanks for that Katherined0
They are stunning and just what we are looking for. I hadnt considered these areas. I have e mailed the agents.
Many thanks
Chris
I've been staying in Homebush Bay for the last 2 months in a company rental. There's quite a few good modern developments in the area but to be honest if I was paying for it I would be looking for somewhere with a few more ammenities. There's nothing particularly wrong with the place but it's lacking in decent shops in walking distance and there's no bar within 3km as far as I know. This is what you get for $480 a month which is the apartment block next to mine. http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Prop...x?adid=5714426
I think some of the older blocks in Homebush Bay were built as accomadation for athletes during the 2000 Olympics. There are a lot of new apartments being built as well at the moment.
There is a free shuttle bus that goes to Strathfield station which is about 30 mins from Circular Quay station. Ferry terminal is about 15 min walk which gets into Circular Quay in about 40 mins. Taxi back from city is about $50.
Population in the area seems to be about 50% Asian which is'nt a problem as far as I'm concerned. Has great access to Olympic Park for sporting events/concerts- it's easily walkable. Also a lot of cycle tracks and a few parks around as well. Sea view is more a muddy polluted estuary view with Ikea in the background. Not swimmable or fishable.
Good points : modern apartments, easy parking, reasonable transport links, clean, Olympic Park on doorstep.
Bad points : no shops or bars nearby, apartments overpriced.
You could do a lot worse than Homebush, probably could do better as well.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Previously Sydney, Australia... now Oakville, Canada...love it!
Ginger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to all

www.realestate.com.au - Ramsgate $530 for 3 bed penthouse with large balcony and view, sorry don't know how to put the link.

If you don't have a map of Sydney, get yourself onto www.whereis.com, type in a suburb and click on "map", then you'll see the map of the area which you can enlarge and see what areas are near the water. Areas past the airport like Brighton-le-Sands, Ramsgate Beach, Sans Souci, Dolls Point could be suitable. There are also a few on the real estate website at Chiswick and Abbotsford.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by upyerfud
I've been staying in Homebush Bay for the last 2 months in a company rental. There's quite a few good modern developments in the area but to be honest if I was paying for it I would be looking for somewhere with a few more ammenities. There's nothing particularly wrong with the place but it's lacking in decent shops in walking distance and there's no bar within 3km as far as I know. This is what you get for $480 a month which is the apartment block next to mine. http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Prop...x?adid=5714426
I think some of the older blocks in Homebush Bay were built as accomadation for athletes during the 2000 Olympics. There are a lot of new apartments being built as well at the moment.
There is a free shuttle bus that goes to Strathfield station which is about 30 mins from Circular Quay station. Ferry terminal is about 15 min walk which gets into Circular Quay in about 40 mins. Taxi back from city is about $50.
Population in the area seems to be about 50% Asian which is'nt a problem as far as I'm concerned. Has great access to Olympic Park for sporting events/concerts- it's easily walkable. Also a lot of cycle tracks and a few parks around as well. Sea view is more a muddy polluted estuary view with Ikea in the background. Not swimmable or fishable.
Good points : modern apartments, easy parking, reasonable transport links, clean, Olympic Park on doorstep.
Bad points : no shops or bars nearby, apartments overpriced.
You could do a lot worse than Homebush, probably could do better as well.
Thanks for that. After the replies i think we will reconsider Homebush unless it is something very special. We would love Coogee, but have struggled to find anything that we like within our budget, so are going to investigate Katherines ideas more
Old Apr 28th 2008, 2:51 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

How about Lane Cove or Balmain. Would get the shops and easy access to everything. The apartment blocks are not usually highrise but the areas make up for lack of view - and it would not take much to get to the water and ferries.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

deryans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant future

hmmm, Agree with what as been said re: Homebush.

Areas near to the airport that might suit are (I cycle through these each day as I work for Qantas).... we live in Birchgrove (Balmain really)

City type burbs within 20 mins of the airport are ErskineVille, Newtown (a bit alternative, think Camden in the late 80's), Camperdown, St Peters, Annandale, Lilyfield, Leihdchardt (cafe italian culture anyone ?), Petersham, etc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.