Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Home theatre rooms & other oddities

Wikiposts

Home theatre rooms & other oddities

Old Nov 28th 2005, 1:24 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Home theatre rooms & other oddities

Originally Posted by Jacqui
I know just where you're coming from. I have wandered around show homes and looked at house plans in the paper. None of these houses seem "practical".

I wish I could afford to design and build my own "dream-house"
You can change everything within most showhomes if you're building a showhome with one of the various companies out there - you can totally alter the showhomes plans. If you want storage cupboards add them in, if you want the childrens bedroom next to the main and the living room down the end of the house - juggle the rooms about on the plans. if you don't want a certain room - delete it and make the other rooms bigger - if you want doors on your kitchen add it it, if you want full walls or dwarf walls in a certain area draw it in . cost will depend on the changes you make to their plans . But the plans you see in these showhomes all can be totally altered within those four walls to your taste, you can either draw it up yourself within their plan and then get their draftsman to alter their plan , or sit down with the salesman and go through it all. you can totally alter most "showhome" plans, and don't need to build the house from them exactly like the showhouse that you walk around.

so it's not out of the question to have your dream house if that's want you want
cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Nov 28th 2005 at 1:31 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisnick
i never have time to sit and watch tv. i've downloaded so many tv shows from the uk, and still have them all to watch!
Neither do i, but it keeps the kids happy, i only ever see the news and weather, if i can get the remote control.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ceri
You can change everything within most showhomes if you're building a showhome with one of the various companies out there - you can totally alter the showhomes plans. If you want storage cupboards add them in, if you want the childrens bedroom next to the main and the living room down the end of the house - juggle the rooms about on the plans. if you don't want a certain room - delete it and make the other rooms bigger - if you want doors on your kitchen add it it, if you want full walls or dwarf walls in a certain area draw it in . cost will depend on the changes you make to their plans . But the plans you see in these showhomes all can be totally altered within those four walls to your taste, you can either draw it up yourself within their plan and then get their draftsman to alter their plan , or sit down with the salesman and go through it all. you can totally alter most "showhome" plans, and don't need to build the house from them exactly like the showhouse that you walk around.

so it's not out of the question to have your dream house if that's want you want
cheers
Absolutely, ours looks nothing like the showhouse.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think they should be called a home theatre room unless they are used with a projector, the resulting massive image, proper sound system and seating. Owise they are just glorified family rooms

Personally as the parent of young adults/teenagers etc etc, and as I have a 10 year gap between children 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 (22/20/ --11/7) I know whats coming this time around, Two fully seperate living rooms and a theatre/rumpus whatever room would come in really handy for not interfering with teenagers and vice versa.

I've got 2-3 years before we revisit the horror of treading on each others "entertainment toes' I've got two seperate living areas at present, but they are only seperated by the length of one kitchen and that is definietly not enough in my book. It's the one thing that could make me move, as the quote for re-modelling my house comes in at over 100,000 grand. If I move I want a rooftop terrace and a home theatre bloody room lol, thats the only thing that will entice me to the 'burbs.

Other option is two really good townhouses on my block, but we would have no yard then, and I would probably have to sell off one of them to pay for what I wanted in the other, which is all the options above.

Jad and Rich, dont suppose you know any 'off the plan" really good townhouse builders do you, everytime I've looked into it, I've seen money signs ticking over in builders eyes. (I want my rooftop terrace lol, we would get a very good view of the city skyline from here)
Old Nov 28th 2005, 4:29 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

I would never buy a place without two lounges. Even when I lived on my own in England I had two - one I set up all cosy for winter nights and I used it for reading, listening to music etc. I used the more formal lounge for entertaining friends. When I met my husband he also had two lounges which was a godsend with a teenage son. Now that we are in Melbourne the second lounge is far away from ours and when the boy is home he can use it for entertaining his friends without us being around.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

As the kids get older, you'll want the main bedroom at the other end of the house(!)
Old Nov 29th 2005, 12:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
As the kids get older, you'll want the main bedroom at the other end of the house(!)

Yes exactly, having had that 10 year gap, and subsequent knowledge and dread of whats coming with our children, has filled us with some vital needs, housing wise, that are going to have to be addressed, within the next two years.

I'm not going through the lack of privacy, and inconvience again with our younger two.

Our choice is, A move out to the 'burbs aka trading down position wise (very unpalatable) a 100,000 dollar extension/house improvement, (not at my age thanks) or building two large fully optioned townhouses on this block, (a bit of a gamble) or the financially sound status quo, (circa 6-10 years of compromised living) Dammit !!!

Hmmmm there's always boarding school lol.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 12:34 pm
New South Welshie

<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by brisnick
now this (http://theater.stevejenkins.com/gallery/) is a home theatre!
Holy crap, thats amazing.......I could lose DAYS in that thing !!