Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Home schooling on the Sunshine Coast, Qld

Home schooling on the Sunshine Coast, Qld

Old Mar 9th 2014, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

KookyK is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Home schooling on the Sunshine Coast, Qld

Hello all. We are looking to move to Aus for just one year (specifically Mooloolaba in Qld). Rather than disrupt the children's education too much, I thought that we might home-school, ideally with the help of a tutor. Anyone done this Doing this? have any suggestions?
Old Mar 10th 2014, 1:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home schooling on the Sunshine Coast, Qld

Originally Posted by KookyK
Hello all. We are looking to move to Aus for just one year (specifically Mooloolaba in Qld). Rather than disrupt the children's education too much, I thought that we might home-school, ideally with the help of a tutor. Anyone done this Doing this? have any suggestions?

What grade are they?

Primary school is not really that challenging here, I think you could easily do primary for the social side and then tutor them for a couple hours a day to keep up. We had friends from Singapore and Germany who both did that.

If its high school and they are prepared for a massive amount of work they could possibly do the IB, one of ours did it, and it was in a State School.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 3:07 am
Just Joined

KookyK is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks jad n rich. They are in grades 1 & 3 right now so we're looking at grades 2 & 4. My concern is not with the curriculum , but rather the January start vs September. I'm concerned that they'll either have to start a year already half way through, or repeat a year - TWICE, i.e. once when we arrive in Aus and then again when we come back the following year. It doesn't seem a long enough stay to disrupt them
Old Mar 10th 2014, 5:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

They won't have to repeat anything - it's a foreign country with several different education systems with different curricula. They'd go with their age peers and you can supplement with other stuff to keep them up with their UK age peers. Homeschoolers have to be approved in each state and most states have a pretty strong homeschooling network. I wouldn't bother though, they'll be fine in school and when you return to UK the schools are pretty good at helping kids catch up. The year level names are just a distraction, put the kids with their age peers and they'll be fine.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget that Aussie kids start school later than UK ones.