Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Home Ownership Key to Migrant Happiness in SEQ?

Is Home Ownership Key to Migrant Happiness in SEQ?

Old Nov 9th 2007, 1:53 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is Home Ownership Key to Migrant Happiness in SEQ?

With the average price of a house in Brisbane making the prospect of home ownership even more unlikely to all but the already-settled or cashed-up recent arrivals, how important is home ownership to one's perception of quality of life and/or long-term future.

As I see it, recent arrivals with little or no equity or 'offshore' funds are faced with 3 options:

1/ Save, save, save until you accumulate a big enough deposit to allow for a reasonably-sized home loan and manageable repayments, but run the risk of moving farther the first step on the Australian property ladder due to spiralling house prices.

2/ Get a huge home loan from day 1, with high monthly repayments resulting in a lack of disposable income and a frugal lifestyle as a result, but take satisfaction from the fact that you own your own home which will increase in value over time.

3/ Accept that you'll never be able to afford to own your own home and rent indefinitely, building up a huge savings/escape fund from the money you'll save on home loan repayments.

What's your philosophy and what are the wise people doing????

(For the record, these are the questions I'm asking myself on a daily basis)
Old Nov 9th 2007, 2:31 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Home Ownership Key to Migrant Happiness in SEQ?

I wouldn't reccomend option 1, option 2 would probably be a better choice - the property is probably rising in value each month more than you can save.

I also wouldn't bank on accumulating huge savings under option 3 - rents are going up and up and up as investors get stung by interest rates.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 2:32 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Is Home Ownership Key to Migrant Happiness in SEQ?

Yes.

Buzzy
Old Nov 9th 2007, 2:41 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tictac
With the average price of a house in Brisbane making the prospect of home ownership even more unlikely to all but the already-settled or cashed-up recent arrivals, how important is home ownership to one's perception of quality of life and/or long-term future.

As I see it, recent arrivals with little or no equity or 'offshore' funds are faced with 3 options:

1/ Save, save, save until you accumulate a big enough deposit to allow for a reasonably-sized home loan and manageable repayments, but run the risk of moving farther the first step on the Australian property ladder due to spiralling house prices.

2/ Get a huge home loan from day 1, with high monthly repayments resulting in a lack of disposable income and a frugal lifestyle as a result, but take satisfaction from the fact that you own your own home which will increase in value over time.

3/ Accept that you'll never be able to afford to own your own home and rent indefinitely, building up a huge savings/escape fund from the money you'll save on home loan repayments.

Move somewhere else in SEQ other than Brisbane is another option!
Median house price here is $250,000 and doesn't seem to be any shortage of jobs......
Old Nov 9th 2007, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

sherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nice

Some are investing in cheaper areas even if they live in SE QLD. You can still rent here n look at investing in cheaper places eg Beenleigh, Coffs Harbour, Rockhampton, Adelaide and Tassy. Do your research into property investment as the growth can be quicker and greater in these other areas and you often you only need 5-10% deposit. A friend bought $98,000 home in Tassy a few weeks ago and they expect to make $50k with a bit of a reno.

Look at finding some way of making money so you can save whilst renting, maybe go for a cheaper rental and put the extra away each month and move gradually into where you want to be. Not many people can afford what they want I am just the same, but we are trying to find ways of working towards it.

Still think this is the best place in Oz and would rather be here. Home ownership is not essential to be happy...you can be happy inside because you luv being here
Sherie

Last edited by sherie_in_oz; Nov 9th 2007 at 4:09 am.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 4:10 am
BE Enthusiast

longreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sherie_in_oz
A lot are investing in cheaper areas even if they live in SE QLD. You can still rent here n look at investing in cheaper places eg Beenleigh, Coffs Harbour, Rockhampton, Adelaide and Tassy. Do your research into property investment as the growth can be quicker and greater in these other areas and you often you only need 5-10% deposit. A friend bought $98,000 home in Tassy a few weeks ago with a and they expect to make $50k with a bit of a reno.

Look at finding some way of making some money you can save whilst renting, maybe go for a cheaper rental and put the extra away each month) and move gradually into where you want to be. Not many people can afford what they want but find ways of working towards it.

Still think this is the best place in Oz and would rather be here. Home ownership is not essential to be happy...you can be happy inside because you luv being here
Sherie
This is a great reply!!

Some clients of ours literally have 10 or more investment properties dotted all over the place and live in a 'modest' rental. They realise that in 5-10 years they will be able to liquidate and buy their dream home outright!

It's certainly an interesting strategy that I would look at if I was in that situation.

Mark.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 4:13 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Yes.

Buzzy
No.

Your fundamental level of happiness (or 'level of fulfillment' if you prefer a longer-lasting term) should not rely on any material gain or possession. Migrant or not.

In my opinion, etc, etc.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Speargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really nice

With ever increasing interest rates...wont house price growth slow or stop altogether?? On reflection in the UK after a flurry of interest charges prices have started reversing here - and rates are still a lot less than in Australia!
Old Nov 9th 2007, 8:59 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
No.

Your fundamental level of happiness (or 'level of fulfillment' if you prefer a longer-lasting term) should not rely on any material gain or possession. Migrant or not.

In my opinion, etc, etc.
What he said
Old Nov 9th 2007, 9:10 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
No.

In my opinion, etc, etc.
couldn't agree more. owning "stuff" whether its a home or a car, will not make you happy. It'll only make you feel happy for a while, before you start asking yourself "what else do I need to buy to feel happy?"
Old Nov 9th 2007, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tictac

Why only SEQ. Does the question not apply to all Aus or anywhere in the world. It did help my OH but might not be the same for others. Downside could be that you buy a home and have the debt hanging round your neck when further down the line you decide that Aus or the area is not for you. Will you take a huge hit financially. Sorry tictac, that was vague. Personally we bought as we didnt want to give a landlord $350 a week when around $500 bought a place.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 9:57 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by longreach
This is a great reply!!

Some clients of ours literally have 10 or more investment properties dotted all over the place and live in a 'modest' rental. They realise that in 5-10 years they will be able to liquidate and buy their dream home outright!

It's certainly an interesting strategy that I would look at if I was in that situation.

Mark.
I'd seriously consider doing that too once we have PR. Excellent idea.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by longreach
This is a great reply!!

Mark.
Sounds like a good plan

Now, where to start........
Old Nov 9th 2007, 10:42 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Nicstids
Move somewhere else in SEQ other than Brisbane is another option!
Median house price here is $250,000 and doesn't seem to be any shortage of jobs......
Not for everyone. Unfortunately we're stuck living in areas where there are mining jobs. Mining areas almost always are expensive due to the mining boom. So for us, it's not an option
Old Nov 9th 2007, 10:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markallwood
couldn't agree more. owning "stuff" whether its a home or a car, will not make you happy. It'll only make you feel happy for a while, before you start asking yourself "what else do I need to buy to feel happy?"
Agree that materialism is not great, but stability is key, and home ownership is vital.

I couldn't sleep knowing that I could be out of a place in a year. I want to be able to ''grow'' my own land, shape it's destiny, bring up kids in a home in a house. It's the fact its got nothing to do with money I like - and everything to do with the rest of your life.

And it also means I have a roof over my head when I retire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.