Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is a Home the Most Important Thing of Moving

Is a Home the Most Important Thing of Moving

Old Apr 1st 2007, 7:15 am
Banned

mancity is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is a Home the Most Important Thing of Moving

I have started reading forums again, for what ever reason I find them interesting,

Anyhow, I do seem to pick up the traditional British theme of a natural desire to base our complete lifes on Homes, buying, selling doing them up etc etc.

It also comes to my attention that, moving to AUs the most important thing there is to a home,,,,,,

I know we have to live somwhere, but are people moving and one of the factors they move is a bigger home,

Personally mine isnt, I'm just after a small unit, with hardly any overheads, this way less furntiure, lee maintenance low rent and more money in my pocket to be out and about enjoying myself............
Old Apr 1st 2007, 7:17 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is a Home the Most Important Thing of Moving

Originally Posted by mancity
I have started reading forums again, for what ever reason I find them interesting,

Anyhow, I do seem to pick up the traditional British theme of a natural desire to base our complete lifes on Homes, buying, selling doing them up etc etc.

It also comes to my attention that, moving to AUs the most important thing there is to a home,,,,,,

I know we have to live somwhere, but are people moving and one of the factors they move is a bigger home,

Personally mine isnt, I'm just after a small unit, with hardly any overheads, this way less furntiure, lee maintenance low rent and more money in my pocket to be out and about enjoying myself............
hey there,i wont both,nice home and a few quid in me sky...

lifes for living,i agree..
Old Apr 1st 2007, 7:20 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

i wouldn't say that a bigger house is everyones deal breaker at all.

it is obviously something everyone needs to look at as we all have to live somewhere. the thing is, if we think we can get more for our money then we will certainly try to do just this. i have enough room in my house now, so not hankering after a bigger place. but, when we get there we will try to get as much for our money as we can. it's natural.

maybe once you have kids and aren't traveling as light it might change your perspective.

louise
Old Apr 1st 2007, 7:27 am
Banned

mancity is an unknown quantity at this point

I have 2 Kids, they dont care much about houses at their age

Heres the deal, I moved to a big mutha on Gold Coast had everything, pool 4 beds, landscaped, garage fr 6 cars, we could afford it barely,I'd say,

but we just didn't need it, we were always out, personally I'd go for the boat and a weekend place somewhere....if i was to buy

Get settled down then buy the place again, Im not saying its wrong, I just get the feeling people see Real Estate and then the real estate agents tell them what they want to hear, oh and the other chesnut, that prices are going up etc etc
Old Apr 1st 2007, 7:32 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Heres the deal, I moved to a big mutha on Gold Coast had everything, pool 4 beds, landscaped, garage fr 6 cars, we could afford it barely,I'd say,

but we just didn't need it, we were always out, personally I'd go for the boat and a weekend place somewhere....if i was to buy

Get settled down then buy the place again, Im not saying its wrong, I just get the feeling people see Real Estate and then the real estate agents tell them what they want to hear, oh and the other chesnut, that prices are going up etc etc

good on ya mate,you can't go water skiing in a house,life's to short,my kids are growing up as fast as i am getting old..

hey mate i hope you have loads of happy times in oz..

ast
Old Apr 1st 2007, 7:32 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

It would be nice to have the big ole house with this many bathrooms and rooms for guests, but, you have to clean it, pay for it and maintain it.

as long as i have got enough room for my kids (3) and a decent amount of outside space for them and the dog i am happy.

couldn't really see myself downsizing into a unit though, think i might kill the kids . also would feel sorry for the nieghbours. 3 girls make an awful lot of niose whilst getting ready in the morning :curse:
Old Apr 1st 2007, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of

I agree - gotta get a boat if that means smaller place so be it I need to sort the saving money habit out first!
Old Apr 1st 2007, 7:37 am
forever hopeful

i think i might get a boat for me and hubby and put the kids in the house

happy days
Old Apr 1st 2007, 7:38 am
Banned

Originally Posted by emmyjc1
I agree - gotta get a boat if that means smaller place so be it I need to sort the saving money habit out first!
i have massive worries at the moment........i cant get no sleep!!!!!!!!!

i dont know if i should have red,blue or yellow flashes on the side of my boat!!
Old Apr 1st 2007, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

My main reason for wanting to move to Oz is because I could buy a house with some land. Not too bothered about the size of the house as long as it is nice, and maybe has a pool (but of course with all my land I could add that in myself).
I am fed up of living on top of my neighbours! (6 boardering my house).
Old Apr 1st 2007, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant future

Cant agree with you more my good northern friend. We are moving to perth hopefully by the end of the year. I have no kids and dont think me and the mrs ever will. Im movin to oz to have a better life not a humungus mortgage. We are getting a small boat and a 4by4 with a load of campin gear and we are gonna buy a house that fits around everything else. We spent 12 months travelling oz last year and ok its nice to have a big house but lifestyle is way more important to us.
I keep reading threads about people buying in places they wouldnt necessary wanna live just because the houses are cheaper there ie adelaide or the outback lol. I cant understand the logic behind this! I suppose each to there own at the end of the day.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

We have just bought a house. It's a three bedroom, because we don't need four (the guests are sleeping in the lounge ).

When the kids have left home we plan to sell it and get a campervan so we can tour Australia. If we finish doing that before we die then we'll probably get a small unit or sleep in the kids lounges
Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:00 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisandvee
I keep reading threads about people buying in places they wouldnt necessary wanna live just because the houses are cheaper there ie adelaide or the outback lol. I cant understand the logic behind this! I suppose each to there own at the end of the day.
Totally agree with this point.

I have never understood this either.

G
Old Apr 1st 2007, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon your house has to be a major part of your home, for me, its the lifestyle that you get around it that makes quality of life, not how big (''expensive'') it is - so for me a bit of space is important - I like to work on it and keep busy. A family of 4 plus in a little council flat or a 2/3 bed semi is not the best, kids need space with attractions around.

Having said that I'm not a DIY freak for the sake of it, and I never do things to add value - it's water saving devices or saving money or adding functionality, leisure or interests I am interested in, the details of the labour or function, learning something new - the progress as well.

Where we are kids grow up on 1-3 or so acres and you can really see how happy they are,and the parents are always introducing them to new things. My daughter is very happy on what is a fairly substantial deck it gives her complete safety and yet gives her freedom and she adores the back and the nature. I actually wonder what I would have been doing at the same age - not that certainly!

Growing up in a village on acreage is very nice for young kids. There is always something on a mini project or something in progress. I reckon the lessons and fun stay with them for life. It's like being in the Scouts but at home!

Frankly I could never live in a street with no space - I shudder now and realise why I was so happy to be outdoors in the UK - there was no space! But I couldn't live in a legoland huge house either.

Of course a house is no good if you don't have a home to put in it. A home can work well without a nice house too - but ultimately bad housing does put stress on homes and families.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 11:57 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louise4
It would be nice to have the big ole house with this many bathrooms and rooms for guests, but, you have to clean it, pay for it and maintain it.

as long as i have got enough room for my kids (3) and a decent amount of outside space for them and the dog i am happy.

couldn't really see myself downsizing into a unit though, think i might kill the kids . also would feel sorry for the nieghbours. 3 girls make an awful lot of niose whilst getting ready in the morning :curse:
The arabs have a saying that (s)he who has 3 daughters goes automatically to heaven!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.