Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Home insurance???? Help.. pretty please

Home insurance???? Help.. pretty please

Old May 2nd 2003, 4:16 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Question Home insurance???? Help.. pretty please

Does anyone know of a good insurance company for home contents cover in Aus? I'm trying to renew my cover - and I want to change insurance companies. The one I'm with is a rip off!! - I've received my renewal letter with the total payable - I have 3 yr no claim - so 15% discount. I just went to their web site, filled out a new quote as if I'm a new customer for curiosity sake. There's a 10% discount online - which still should make my bill/renewal cheaper as I have 15% off so they claim on my letter! - Guess what - they've quoted me a cheaper price on their web site ! They are ripping me off! (P.S. I first joined them/paid for it by their website)

Anyway - anyone know of a good insurance company for home contents cover (don't quote Allianz - I've tried them, won't insure me because apparently according to them - I do not have adequate security in my rental house! - geeze they haven't seen my guard cat have they!)

Any online companies - anything - I'm fed up of trying to find one sifting through heaps of rubbish in my search results, I'm with Australian Unity at the moment, and want to check out some of the others - not happy Jan.Grrrr

Thanks
Old May 2nd 2003, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Don't know where you are in Oz, but I use RACQ insurance for my contents and car in Queensland. Have done here and in NZ and they give me a discount cos I'm a member or the motoring organization.

Never had a problem here but then again never had a claim yet.
Old May 2nd 2003, 4:45 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home insurance???? Help.. pretty please

Originally posted by Ceri
Does anyone know of a good insurance company for home contents cover in Aus?
Any online companies - anything - I'm fed up of trying to find one sifting through heaps of rubbish in my search results, I'm with Australian Unity at the moment, and want to check out some of the others - not happy Jan.Grrrr

Thanks
Try SGIO they have done alright by us we are quite happy with them no idea if they cover QLD.

http://www.sgio.com.au/

Old May 2nd 2003, 4:54 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Home insurance???? Help.. pretty please

Thanks both - I'll check them out.

It's just hard finding "decent" companies. They all claim to be this and that, but who can believe an insurance company eh. Insurance people - Not known for their honesty are they.

Cheers
Old May 2nd 2003, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

petafray will become famous soon enough

Hi

I got a good deal through AAMI - 45% discount and another 10% as I took out buildings insurance too
Peta
Old May 2nd 2003, 6:07 am
Just Joined

bobinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm using Suncorp - they were introduced to me by the Relocation company used by my employers and the guy was really helpful. Assured me that they have one of the most comprehensive policies around (although he admitted they aren't the cheapest).

I have no idea if it's competitive but is costing me approx $450 a year for $30 000 of cover (including accidental damage) with a $150 excess and $200 extra to cover expensive, bikes, golf clubs, cameras etc away from the home.

I can pass on the guys details if you want or I guess you could get a quote online. He did all the leg work getting me quotes based on different excesses, amount of cover etc etc which I found useful.

Cheers,
Bob
Old May 2nd 2003, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

we are with Commonwealth bank home contents, but not all that good we are going to shop around next time. We only went with them as we have a bank account with them and they offered a discount, can't tell you what it was as not getting up to find the paperwork (well it is Friday night!!). anyway thats all the input I have on the subject sorry I couldn't be of more help.

On a similar subject (sort of) any one know a good health plan to go with, or whether its worth taking out health cover?

mandy