Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Home delivery or own transport

Home delivery or own transport

Old Jun 24th 2007, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

olauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud of
Default Home delivery or own transport

Daft question …

Does the shops arrange for delivery when buying stuffs like furnitures or do you have to arrange for your own transport…

Seems important to me as I may then decide to buy a van instead of a car..

Karen
Old Jun 24th 2007, 2:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home delivery or own transport

Originally Posted by olauf
Daft question …

Does the shops arrange for delivery when buying stuffs like furnitures or do you have to arrange for your own transport…

Karen

Most deliver, but it will cost you. (unless you can haggle free delivery into the cost of spending lots of cash in their store )
Old Jun 24th 2007, 8:47 am
brown eyes!

pete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Wendy
Most deliver, but it will cost you. (unless you can haggle free delivery into the cost of spending lots of cash in their store )
matress we bought cost about $50 for a short distance, buy a 4 door ute! or some places also have trailers that you can use (K mart) have trailers so just buy a car or 4x4 with a tow bar like ours! Or if you are planning on buying loads of stuff there are loads of places that "rent" a trailer. Hope this helps, Pete
Old Jun 25th 2007, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

olauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pete jackson
matress we bought cost about $50 for a short distance, buy a 4 door ute! or some places also have trailers that you can use (K mart) have trailers so just buy a car or 4x4 with a tow bar like ours! Or if you are planning on buying loads of stuff there are loads of places that "rent" a trailer. Hope this helps, Pete

Great idea Pete
Thank you
Old Jun 25th 2007, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE Daft question …

Karen
__________________ [/QUOTE]

Not sure what your budget is?......... but .......... if you end up north of the river Harvey Normans at Joondalup may be the go; big department store that sells almost everything apart from the kitchen sink. They might even stock them now as they seem to stock everything else!

Delivery costs are minimal; very reasonable. I think it cost us 40 bucks for delivery of a wall unit, dining table & chairs, set of bar stools, a lounge suite; and a couple of computers too. Also, you can haggle them re price especially if you have cash........ even haggle with them if you are using plastic also.

Years ago we furnished the whole house almost from Pams at Wangara; we found their prices very reasonable and once again the delivery costs were peanuts.

When I was on the Dole and we were really struggling; well a quick trip round the suburbs during bulk rubbish pick-up week saw me grab heaps of bargains out on the pavement. Was real embarrassed about it at first as to me I was nicking the stuff........ but after knocking on a few doors and being told to 'go fer it as long as you don't make a mess' .......... well I soon got the hang of it.

You have to be in quick now though as some people make a living out of it unfortunately. Whole families tend to scour the suburbs early in the morning and the gear they pick up gets done up and sold at swap meets, rather than go to the needy.

Having been 'needy' once........ through no fault of our own I add........ we often donate unwanted stuff to the Salvos now.