Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Home contents insurance

Home contents insurance

Old Sep 15th 2010, 4:17 am
Forum Regular

Sunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to all
Default Home contents insurance

Can anybody recommend an insurance provider for contents insurance only? For some reason I can only seem to find it bundled together with buildings insurance (we are renting) or at a very, very basic level of cover.

Thanks
Old Sep 15th 2010, 4:48 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default Re: Home contents insurance

Originally Posted by Sunshine7
Can anybody recommend an insurance provider for contents insurance only? For some reason I can only seem to find it bundled together with buildings insurance (we are renting) or at a very, very basic level of cover.

Thanks
I can 'UNrecommend' Real Insurance. They were cheapish - but getting money from them for contents after the Nov'08 storm was like getting blood from a stone. Our claims officer 'Nicole' was a complete witch and I only got success on our claim after several months and by catching them on the phone when 'Nicole' wasnt there so I could talk to a helpful claims officer instead.
We are no longer insured with Real.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 4:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

AAMI do renter only insurance.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 4:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.canstar.com.au/home-and-contents-insurance/

I'm with Australian Unity.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 6:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Are they good Wendy?

EDIT: Seems they only do up to $25 000 cover.

Last edited by Alfresco; Sep 15th 2010 at 6:14 am.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Sunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to all

I think they only do $25000 worth of cover though (as above poster said) which is way too low for a standard house. Also, the cover they do offer is very limited - they were one of the first ones I looked at. Thanks anyway though.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 11:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Are they good Wendy?

EDIT: Seems they only do up to $25 000 cover.
I own my own home, so don't know about renters insurance. I have my buildings insurance with them though. Mostly because they don't put a limit on the cover. If my house fell down tomorrow they would rebuild it completely. (or so they say!)

I think they only do $25000 worth of cover though (as above poster said) which is way too low for a standard house. Also, the cover they do offer is very limited - they were one of the first ones I looked at. Thanks anyway though.
I never had it when I rented so didn't know the level of cover they offered. I just remember seeing it when I insured my buildings and contents a few years back. They do have a calculator though, may help you work out how much you want to be insured for.

Seems a few more do it now, google renters insurance rather than contents insurance.

Here a couple to start you off:

http://www.nrma.com.au/home-insuranc...nsurance.shtml

http://www.hbf.com.au/Home/Renters_calculator.html
Old Sep 15th 2010, 11:48 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

We used RACQ when we rented.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 1:01 pm
ABCDiamond

AAMI were very good for my home buildings claim

Claim details, and time line..

Old Sep 15th 2010, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I own my own home, so don't know about renters insurance. I have my buildings insurance with them though. Mostly because they don't put a limit on the cover. If my house fell down tomorrow they would rebuild it completely. (or so they say!)

I never had it when I rented so didn't know the level of cover they offered. I just remember seeing it when I insured my buildings and contents a few years back. They do have a calculator though, may help you work out how much you want to be insured for.

Seems a few more do it now, google renters insurance rather than contents insurance.

Here a couple to start you off:

http://www.nrma.com.au/home-insuranc...nsurance.shtml

http://www.hbf.com.au/Home/Renters_calculator.html

Thanks. We were looking at nrma last night they seem comprehensive enough.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

my contents are with GIO. I found most the big companies to contents only (and buildings only) insurance.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

when I looked at renters insurance it seemed to be more designed for a shared room in a house (i.e. for students/backpackers) hence the low maximum value