Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Home Buyers Grant -

Home Buyers Grant -

Old Apr 24th 2009, 11:52 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Home Buyers Grant -

Quick question - do you have to be in Australia get the home buyers grant?
We have not yet validated our visas but may buy a house before it ends in June.
What I am asking is do i have to have validated and be physically present in Australia to get the grant?
J x
Old Apr 25th 2009, 12:08 am
Just Joined

teedubyer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Home Buyers Grant -

Hi, i think you will be able to get the grant even though you are not in Australlia, try this link which has some good info on it, documents required, criteria etc.

Old Apr 25th 2009, 12:10 am
Just Joined

teedubyer is an unknown quantity at this point

probably would help if i give you the link

http://www.sro.vic.gov.au/sro/SROWeb...tes_fhog.htm#3
Old Apr 25th 2009, 12:37 am
ABCDiamond

First Home Owners Grant for Home Buyers in Australia

Some of the criteria to be satisfied for eligibility for the First Home Owners Grant (FHOG)
  • At least one applicant must be a permanent resident, or Australian citizen, at the time of settlement or completion of construction of the home.
  • At least one of the applicants must occupy the home as their principal place of residence for a continuous period of at least 6 months.

If you have NOT validated your visa, I am not sure if you would be classed as a permanent resident.

Each State and Territory in Australia has its own grant scheme, and different rules may apply...

http://www.firsthome.gov.au/

Old Apr 25th 2009, 3:41 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
First Home Owners Grant for Home Buyers in Australia

Some of the criteria to be satisfied for eligibility for the First Home Owners Grant (FHOG)
  • At least one applicant must be a permanent resident, or Australian citizen, at the time of settlement or completion of construction of the home.
  • At least one of the applicants must occupy the home as their principal place of residence for a continuous period of at least 6 months.

If you have NOT validated your visa, I am not sure if you would be classed as a permanent resident.

Each State and Territory in Australia has its own grant scheme, and different rules may apply...

http://www.firsthome.gov.au/
..... but if you're on a temporary visa, you wouldn't qualify as a permanent resident.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 3:49 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by The Bloke
..... but if you're on a temporary visa, you wouldn't qualify as a permanent resident.
Definitely no chance on a Temp Visa

Old Apr 25th 2009, 5:04 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Definitely no chance on a Temp Visa
Unless its a temp spouse visa, in which case FHOG can be claimed if its a joint purchase with the Aussie spouse.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 7:54 am
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Mine is a former resident visa 47SV subclass 151 and granted permanent residency. My dad is viewing and putting offers in on the houses as we have to validate before October.
We are moving to Victoria. Will check out the links.
Thanks for the advice
J x
Old Apr 25th 2009, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond repute

You might wanna hold back rather than diving. I dont think rushing in to buy somewhere just cos your gonna get $14k is good reasoning....if the property prices correct themselves...which is bound to happen with unemployment set to rise to 8-10% you might lose more than $14k on the price of the property....(if they drop 10-15% on an average price range of 400-450k im sure you can do the math)

your choice i guess.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

scamp1976 is on a distinguished road

why would you not let the grant expire ? All houseprices will go down by 21000 AUD the exact same day anyway... it will actually SAVE you money to wait, because you will pay less tax.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 3:13 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by scamp1976
why would you not let the grant expire ? All houseprices will go down by 21000 AUD the exact same day anyway... it will actually SAVE you money to wait, because you will pay less tax.
They may not be buying a new house, in which case $21,000 has nothing to do with it...

And as for prices dropping... it may depend on the are they are buying in...

eg:

Established house prices in Sydney compared to Australia average, note how Sydney (in Blue) hasn't really changed for 5 years...

Prior to 2004, Sydney growth was about average for the entire country, but has been left behind.

And when you look closely, Sydney has only gone up by about 25-30% in the last 7 years, only about half the rise for the entire country average.

And then, as far as saving money on the tax is concerned, many first home buyers do not pay the tax anyway, (I assume you mean Stamp Duty) depending on which State they buy in.