Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Home built PC needing wireless adapter

Home built PC needing wireless adapter

Old May 14th 2010, 3:21 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Home built PC needing wireless adapter

My friend built me a desktop pc and all I need to buy is the monitor and some sort of adapter to make it wireless as its going in the spare bedroom.

For our sins, we are with Optus and have the wireless router in the kitchen as thats the only socket.

I have been told I need a wireless adapter to make it work - does anyone have any recommendations?

I dont know where to begin to be honest. Thanks in advance.
Old May 14th 2010, 6:57 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home built PC needing wireless adapter

You have 3 choices

1) a card that goes inside the PC- this means opening the PC, fitting a card inside it (easy)

2) a thing that sticks in a USB Port (where you plug your ipod cable into for example)

3) a thing that sits outside the PC , plugs in via the ethernet cable port you are already using , and has a power cable.

Easiest is #2 , most reliable/fastest is #1 , #3 is if you dont have aany usb ports

If you dont want to open the computer and have a spare usb port (if you dont know what one of those is google it on google images - you'll spot it) get #1

As an example of #1 pricing its the top half of this page.
http://www.computeralliance.com.au/p...less%20adapter

something like this will do : NETGEAR 54Mbps Wireless USB Adaptor, ranges from 30-60$ depending onwhere you buy it. Dick Smith is 60$ , the link above i gave you they are 30$. The link above is very reputable company in brisbane. You can get them from JBHifi, Dick Smith, Harvey Norman, your local pc shop, lots of places. They are all much the same in what they do so just buy a cheap one. You can get them on ebay too if youre not in a hurry

On that page #2 - inside the computer - is one of these Linksys by Cisco WMP54G Wireless-G PCI Adapter

#3 - "outside the computer" is something like this TP-Link WA5110G 54Mbps High Power Wireless Access Point with POE - they're about 100$